15w-50 and VVT. Any issues?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why would you even try it? Just risking oil starvation at start-up on a complicated engine with very tight tolerances.

OP
OP
F

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told my recent intermittant stalling problem after a high speed run may be attributed to thin oil and the VVT retarding the timing due to low oil pressure from the thin, hot oil. 15w-50 was suggested to mitigate this from happening.

Flash

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am using 15W-50 in my SRT 10 RAM truck under recommendation from the good Mr. Dan at DC Performance - and I only trust him or Mark Jorgensen from woodhouse with my viper products!
So if he says to use 15W on the RAM truck then you can take it to the bank that is the better option. Now mine is a 2006 engine so I suggest to talk to him directly for your 2008.

MY600HP

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Take a look at page 15 of the just out Summer 2008 Viper Magazine in the article about the 2008 ACR. Under the section on engine oil - I quote; "Fill the engine with Mobil 1 15W-50 for extra protection under higher stress conditions". Also take a look in the ACR owner’s manual in section 5.7 on Tuning; it also states that Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for severe/track duty. Bottom line, don't worry about using Mobil 1 15W-50 in your VVT engine, it's recommended! The higher viscosity oil will improve VVT control under hot oil conditions and will not cause any negative side effects. If your car never sees any "cold" weather conditions, 15W-50 would be the better choice all around although a slight reduction in fuel economy might occur (if you care). The only caution would be to make sure and let the engine warm up completely before running any high engine speeds (a good idea regardless of the oil type), the added oil pressure could damage the oil filter. I have 15W-50 in my own car!

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Bill,

What he said.

I run 15w50 M1 in my GTS (track car) and my SRT-10 (925 rwhp). I know they aren't VVT but as stated above, a bit more viscosity under track, high heat or high hp situations won't hurt.

Dan

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also saw the Viper Magazine article on the ACR and using 15w50. Question for Bill Pemberton or others in the know: If I do 3-4 HPDE events per year with a typical schedule of 4-5 runs of 15-20 minutes per run with a 15-20 minute cool down period between runs, do I need to run the 15w50 or (as I would guess), should one just stick with the OEM fill of 0w40? Thanks.

/Rich

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960