1968 Camaro VS 2001 RT-10

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently bought a beautifully restored 1968 Camaro. This is a non-matching numbers car with a host of "enhancements". Power comes from a crate 427 with a turbo-400 and it reaches the ground via a Ford 9" rear end with 3.83's (I think). The car has no miles on it yet, but, here is my question (which I expect is obvious by now). Does anybody here think this car will be quicker than my Viper in a STRAIGHT line? He has some pretty high hopes for the car with respect to my much more costly 2001 RT-10 which is stock.

The biggest mismatch that I can see are the gears..his short gears vs. my tall ones. I have no idea where his motor should be horsepower-wise. The motor is normally aspirated, no Nitous. Let's assume the race would be a full quarter mile rather than light to light.

Before any of you asks...I dont have any more information about the car except that it is red/black stripes. This is not an important issue-I just dont want to receive a complete a$$ whooping blindly.

We will not be able to line 'em up for several months at least between inclimate weather and us living in different states. When we do I will post about it.

Kurt

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what tires he's using if it's anything short of drag radials you'll get the win. BUT once you factor in he's running a Big Block, TH400, low gears, and a solid axel things begin to even up especially w/ tires. Since he 0 miles, I doubt he knows how to drive the car, 500TQ in a solid axel car can be tough to handle.

I'd say race him regardless, it's no fun to only race people you KNOW you'll win.

Post the results for us. :2tu:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I raced a heavily modded 1968 Camaro twice at the track (both of us N/A), one win, one loss. He was running slicks.
The loss was my fault, spinning badly in 2nd gear.
But even with him having slicks he would take me out of the hole, and I would reel him in always passing him well before the 1/4 mile.

It really depends on how much power he is making, and more importantly if he is running street tires.

With both of you on street tires, it's likely that you will win if you don't blow it.
But it will be a fun race regardless. :2tu:

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just race him you big *****!

Seriously, what do you have to lose? Getting beat by an old muscle car? Not so bad and great motivation to add turbos!

Obviously, this race is a WIN-WIN.

Chad

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hands down you will win unless of course he is a MUCH MUCH more skilled driver then you.

OP
OP
K

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First- LMAO at Bad Vpr. The race is difinately a no loss situation. We are both novices to our respective cars, both with more car than we can drive (probably). My car only has 800 miles on it now. We will run them in the spring. I will post results and maybe video if I dont look to foolish. I dont want THE CHAD to ridicule me on the other board.

Thanks for the input all.

Kurt

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So long as you are safe, there is no shame in being a newb at the track. There is only shame in leaving the Viper in the parking lot while others race, win or lose. Have fun and be safe. That is what these cars are all about.