198 mph in the standing mile?

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Supra guy around here, Marco, Drag races in the NHRA now. He said he was hitting about 192 in the standing mile. His car runs the quarter in mid to high 9's. The TT viper that Hennessy built did 196 in the standing mile (according to Motor Trend) and that car ended up running a high 9 in the quarter.

Tom

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hit 180 mph from a dead stop in 1 mile in my bone stock acr prior 2 my exhaust mods. i did this on a freeway here in arizona last february. the elevation was about 1000 ft above sea level and the air temp was about 60 degrees.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
XS,

I would suspect that the owner of the car had his car built by Prototech, which took one of their cars out to some official race and set several records with that car. It is a silver 993. The car is undoubtedly fast, but the new owner of my old Porsche raced them several times in their record winning porsche and beat them.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, anybody has any idea how fast in the 1/4 mile (trap speed wise) is a car that claims to do the standing mile at 198 mph.
Reason I asked a black 911 turbo showed up at the local hang outs last night, and claimed these figures.. is supposed to be really fast... is an older model 80 something...

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
last summer the club went to a runway which was timed at 500 metres and 1.2 miles the fastest thing down was a skyline with over supposedly $100K of mods that had a proven speed of 215mph
it ran

500m drag 11.9s @ 142mph
Top speed 196.6mph

The fastest vipers down ran about 12.5 and 175mph, a Hennessey venom 550 and ***'s, the weather wasn't brilliant as usual but dry. So that Porsche is one quick mother.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by allanlambo:
XS,

I would suspect that the owner of the car had his car built by Prototech, which took one of their cars out to some official race and set several records with that car. It is a silver 993. The car is undoubtedly fast, but the new owner of my old Porsche raced them several times in their record winning porsche and beat them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Allan, it was a black Porsche!.. any idea what that thing might trap in the 1/4.. I guess 138-142 mph

Aren't those 5 spd 80's porsches gear limited to do 200 mph.. how many rpams would they have to turn?

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id guess their car would be in the 140's in the 1/4. I dont know what the rpms would be as there are many different gear choices available. Also to begin with they use either a G50 or a G50/50 tranny.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A car that can do ~ 200 MPH in the standing mile would do ~140 MPH in the 1/4.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xsmph:
Allan, it was a black Porsche!.. any idea what that thing might trap in the 1/4.. I guess 138-142 mph

Aren't those 5 spd 80's porsches gear limited to do 200 mph.. how many rpams would they have to turn?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>