1993 first crack in hood

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got some spiderwebbing myself, 1999 rt10. very tiny and luckily silver doesnt show it easily. its from closing the hood, so ive been told. ive heard some say its from the engine heat, although that makes no sense as the hood is never that hot especially where the (my) cracks are. (by the air induction vent).

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should inspect the underside of the hood to see if it is making contact with the heater air inlet box below it. An important area to inspect is the drain hole portion of the hood. You may need to raise the hood or revise the air box.
I hope this helps identify the problem even though it may be to late to prevent the crack from happening.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 93 with 13K miles and the idiot incompetent Viper tech in the area cracked my hood and he still says it was me. That is odd since I close it properly from the stiff part on the hood. Needless to say I don't bring my business to them anymore,not even a lawnmower....

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have started on what I understand is a long trek to see if Dodge will do anything to fix the cracks in my hood. So far, the Zone Manager has verbally refused to do anything, but I will meet him at the dealership when he goes there this month. This was a known defect from the get go on the Gen 1 hoods, and they (Dodge) know it, and I don't see why I should have to pay out of my pocket to get it fixed, when I was not the cause of it to begin with.

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roland L-W. Michigan:
This was a known defect from the get go on the Gen 1 hoods, and they (Dodge) know it, and I don't see why I should have to pay out of my pocket to get it fixed, when I was not the cause of it to begin with.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, especially for those of us who bought the car from people who had them as garage queens. It wasn't going to get cracks when the previous owner had it sitting in the garage, but now that I drive the thing eventually the defect will rear its ugly head and why should I be stuck paying for it??