1994 RT 10 running temperature

94RT10VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
During normal driving conditions my temps are about on the third line past the 190 mark is that normal, or am my running hot? The outside temp was about 87 degrees

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
expect it to go all the way up but it shouldn't be in the red. I just replaced my stock radiator with a custom 3-pass 2-core aluminum radiator from Alans Performance (also replaced the fan) and my car stays cool all the time. now, when I'm sitting in traffic for a while and the fan kicks on, it actually cools down rather than just maintaining. it was worth the money and effort for the piece of mind...

lobo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My rad and fan too have been changed and the temp hits about 220 in traffic and the fan kicks on and it immediately comes down to 190...and that's with 90+ degree days here in Florida.

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 goes to 210 regularly, with the later model year (production wise/August) it came with the larger fan and once it kicks on she goes right down to 190. Sounds normal to me as well.

Brian 95 RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is normal. My fan normal kicks on between 215 and 220. When it's really hot out and I'm at a stop light, I usually turn on the air conditioning to keep the temp down - because the fan automatically runs when the air is on.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
snampro
How much was the conversion to the new radiator and fan and where did you buy it? I am interested in that peace of mind also.
Thanks

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeap, that's where I bought the radiator. Alan has his radiators custom made and they look awesome. I did all the work myself, so I didn't pay for labor. Call Alan for a price because he was still working on a final deal with the shop and the prices might be better than when I bought mine, but I remember the price was around $600 - $700. You also need to upgrade the fan to a GenII fan, which runs around $200. Alan sells a lot of Roe parts, but these radiators are something he developed himself.

It really fixed the heat problem these cars have. I also replaced my hoses with silicone hoses and installed a 180 degree thermostat.

7107cs_019-med.jpg

7107cs_021-med.jpg

7107cs_024-med.jpg

SnakeInTheGulf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A cheaper, easier, and faster fix, while it won't last for ever. Is to do what I did, add an override switch to the fan, you can turn it on whenever you like, or leave it on all the time. Just my $.02

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing here that the engine was designed to run between 190-220 so why mess with the original if it's not damaging anything? Am I missing something? Thanks.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 degrees won't hurt anything, and just because you use a 180 thermostat doesn't mean you'll run 180 all the time. having the car not be smoking hot in traffic makes this a lot more relaxing. excess heat is not "good" for an engine...

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering steel doesn't melt until hitting 2760 deg (F) I would venture to say it's more about comfort than any damage occuring at 220 as opposed to 190.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960