1996 RT/10 Starting Issue

windyridge4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Viper has been having some issues starting lately. After reading numerous posts here, I had my hubby bypass the clutch safety switch because that's what seemed to be the problem.

Well, nuts...didn't work. Still only starts every 8th turn of the key or so. (At least I don't have to push in the clutch!)

Suggestions? Maybe the starter solenoid is failing? No clicking or anything. Doesn't sound like the starter is bad. Lots of power, when it does fire, it fires strong.

Oh...1996 with 12K miles.

Thanks!

Karen

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
A common problem in Gen I's is fuel pressure leakdown.

Test: Cycle the key to "on" for a couple of seconds, then "off" for a second, then "on"...do this in rapid succession 3-4 times, then cycle to "start" on the next try...should start if this is the problem. The solution involves changing out fuel pump...which was done on our 95...not a small job. Hope this helps.

Good luck !!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the starter turn and the engine not start...or does the starter not engage until the 8th time?

If it has to crank awhile after sitting...the fuel pump check valve could indeed be an issue. A quick search here will net you the instruction thread about installing a timer that allows the fuel pump to run longer than 1 second before starting, priming the fuel lines to the front. Much easier than swapping the fuel pump to get a new check valve. Tom has a great write up and the module costs something like $25.

OP
OP
W

windyridge4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! Thank goodness hubby is an engineer! Found the thread on the check valve...will do some more testing today.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A common problem in Gen I's is fuel pressure leakdown.

Test: Cycle the key to "on" for a couple of seconds, then "off" for a second, then "on"...do this in rapid succession 3-4 times, then cycle to "start" on the next try...should start if this is the problem. The solution involves changing out fuel pump...which was done on our 95...not a small job. Hope this helps.

Good luck !!

Yes, what Steve Says......they key-on cycle (not START) primes the pump for 1.5 sec..... usually 3 on- cycles replaces the pressure that leaked away. Not TOO rapid, just back-to-back. Prime it 2-3 times THEN start.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper has been having some issues starting lately. After reading numerous posts here, I had my hubby bypass the clutch safety switch because that's what seemed to be the problem.

Well, nuts...didn't work. Still only starts every 8th turn of the key or so. (At least I don't have to push in the clutch!)

Suggestions? Maybe the starter solenoid is failing? No clicking or anything. Doesn't sound like the starter is bad. Lots of power, when it does fire, it fires strong.

Oh...1996 with 12K miles.

Thanks!

Karen

My 94 is doing the same as you describe. Starts cold first time every time. Once it has been driven and is hot, I may have to turn the key ten times until the car cranks. No clicking, no nothing and when it does crank it cranks strong. I have replaced the starter and still have the problem. I am now suspecting a loose ground since the starter did not fix the problem, but have not yet had time to check it out completely.
Battery is less than 2 years old and since it cranks strong when it does crank, I don't think this is the issue. Does this sound like it might be a faulty ignition switch? I don't know if they are known to fail. Car has 22K miles.

OP
OP
W

windyridge4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Venom - after some more testing..hubby determined that the fuel pump is fine. My car is doing the exact same thing as yours. Starter seems to be perfect. My battery is only 1 year old and the car is kept on a tender when not in use. Cranks strong when it does click. Still waiting for a call back from my mechanic.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Venom - after some more testing..hubby determined that the fuel pump is fine. My car is doing the exact same thing as yours. Starter seems to be perfect. My battery is only 1 year old and the car is kept on a tender when not in use. Cranks strong when it does click. Still waiting for a call back from my mechanic.

Let me know if you find out a cause. I am going to check the battery cable connections and the hot connection under the hood where the battery tender clamps on next.

sdaddy

OP
OP
W

windyridge4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drove it last night...no problems. Started right up first time each time. What we suspect now is that the battery drained just enough to make starting a problem. (I did have it off the tender for about a week since I was driving it a little.) Something in that car is sucking down juice (probably the clock in the stereo) and I guess I can't leave it off the tender for any length of time.

Going to take it in next week to the mechanic and have it gone through.

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a similar issue when I first bought my 94. Its would start cold then you had to stomp all they way down to the floor hard to get it to turn over. I finally fixed the issue. It was the Clutch safety switch that was going out. So seeming I have major back problems anyways and anything to make thing easier for me we cut the wires and wired it them to terminate to a
Switch. Now I am the only one that knows where the switch is and how to start my car! So I have been winning money from some friends of mine. I tell them if they can start the car they cam drive it all week and I will pay for gas! But they only have five minutes to figure it out and if they cant they owe me $10! Lol I win every time! Lol