1996 viper gts or 06 coupe

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
iam thinking of selling my 96 gts and buy a 06 coupe you guys with the 06 coupes what do you think about 96 gts verses the 06 coupe

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I had a 99 ACR before buying an 06. Both cars have their own Style/Feel. I miss the looks/1 piece Hood & sound of the GTS, but the 06 feels easier to drive, better Brakes & the A/C really works. I would buy another GTS if I could afford it.:drive:

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
If you search, you will find a lot of details on the Gen II and Gen III comparos. That seems to be basically what you are asking about.

I have a 96 GTS as well, but will not sell it for a Gen III, although I almost did that last year. Instead, I am working towards adding a Gen III coupe.

OP
OP
V

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no the only viper i ever driven is my 1996 why is the 06 much better i don;t no thats what i want to no from you guys who drive them

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no the only viper i ever driven is my 1996 why is the 06 much better i don;t no thats what i want to no from you guys who drive them

I suggest you drive one yourself. The feel is a lot different. Everone is different. I know guys that love their 06 and would never trade for a 96 and of course vice versa. Drive a 06 then decide yourself. Personally, I hate the seats in the 06 and do not like the view of the hood (when driving) compared to the 96.

Rev

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to buy a '96 GTS B/W just like yours before I bought my '06. I drove a couple of Gen II's first. I sometimes wish I had of bought "your" car instead of mine. Maybe it's just a case of wanting what you dont have ????

Hey - why don't we just trade for a season ???!!??
;):rolaugh:

OP
OP
V

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok thanks RevHeat i will be driving a 06 in about 2 weeks

OP
OP
V

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we could do that chiefchad but you wood never get your viper back

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 GTS as well, but will not sell it for a Gen III, although I almost did that last year. Instead, I am working towards adding a Gen III coupe.[/quote]

GREAT advise here... I wouldn't off a clean "96 B/W either, I'd only add a "06 to the stable. :2tu:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven both and I will keep my 96 GTS thank you! As Burt suggested I might add an 06 later on but it could never ever replace my GTS.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't like the looks of the 06 (even the coupe) and love my GTS. I added lightweight 14" brakes (better than a Gen 3) and the larger rear calipers of the 2001 ABS system is great. I made certain that I had lighweight Billet wheels (better than Gen 3 and 4s). I bought a protable Nav. and Sirrius with Bluetooth stereo and upgraded all speakers (better than any stock system). My engine has 9-1 Ross pistons, 708 cam, 1.7 rockers, Roe 10# supercharger (200rwhp more than a Gen 4 and 300hp more than a Gen 3), 1,000hp rear titanium axles, Corsa track and Cat delete, Headers, custom body color valve covers, and intake tubes as well as airbox. All the junk Runcraps and even the PS1s are obsolete so I have PS2s and love them. I built unobtrusive cupholders (removable) and added a Tire Pressure Monitor System (better than any factory system. I have some other custom touches that also improve my car greatly like my SRX built in radar detector. Then I bought a Paxton supercharged 802rwhp ACR that has nearly as many modifications and drives much like a Gen 3 (smooth and pretty quiet).

If you need stock you probably need a Gen 4. If you want the best there isn't one. Someone always has faster, louder, quieter, prettier, etc.etc. I often attend car shows and like going home with 1st place and I like owning a mid to low 10 sec STREET car. Sunday I brought home the AutoX first place trophy and we invited Porsches, Mercedes, Mazdas etc. My 2001 Viper GTS took home the plastic (or bagging rights for a year Greg says). Installing a Venom spoiler to my GTS because the one on my ACR looks so good.

I like building cars and can't leave the damn things alone as I'm always improving them. Check out my ACR because maybe you want a supercharged show and go car that kicks serious asp! I think of it as buying a slightly used (26,000mi) $140,000 car for only $55K. If you buy it, you can use it to win your own trophies. Mine don't come with it

ACR, Paxton supercharged NOS = 802rwhp - ViperClub Classifieds

There's a link to the two burnouts I did with the car while testing and tuneing the car recently. Listen to the Hi-flows and Corsa exhaust! New tires, brakes, etc. On the Paxton this car has about 55 more bhp than a Gen 4. The Nitrous bottle can be left at home unless you plan to do some serious asp kickin' with 802rwhp - I never even turned it on.

To get decent power with a Gen 3 you need either a Paxton or a TT.

Ted

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must you hijack every thread with yet another advertisement for your car for sale?
What is the relavency here?

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the GTS just feels more raw, with more attitude. I think the 06 still feels like a viper, just a bit more refined than a Gen2. Depends what you are looking for. The brakes on the 06 will feel A LOT better than your car, and the view looking over the hood will be a change (you will really notice whe Gen3 fenders).

Both great cars. Like already posted, drive an 06 and go from there.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not even a comparison for me after owning a gen2 and a gen3...

lets just put it like this...When I had a gen2 I secetly wanted a gen3. After now haveing a gen3 I could never go back to a gen2...

I could add a gen2 to the stable one day but never trade..

The gen3 is plainly and simply basically a 11 year newer desighn. A 2002 GTS Viper is a modified 1992 desighned viper..

And it will show in the interior and gaps ect. Is a GTS or even RT10 an extremely BEAUTIFUL desighn..oHH yea BABY!

But when you have a Gen2 parked next to a gen3 and you look at the head lights and panal gaps and interior or even the larger rims on the srt10 ect. Well you will quickly see that the gen2 looks old in comparison...

To some people that is fine and they like older looking cars...Adds a luster to them. But to me personally I prefer the newer look..Hands down..

Newer looking car with better brakes and handling as well from my persoanl testing the gen3 is a lil faster than the gen2 stock for stock (not much as I was only able to squeeze out maybe 2 mph and 2 tenths from my gen 3 over my gen2) and again hands down it's the gen3 for me...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
iam thinking of selling my 96 gts and buy a 06 coupe you guys with the 06 coupes what do you think about 96 gts verses the 06 coupe

I had one of each, and kept the 96 GTS when I got a Gen 4 ACR. I love my GTS

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get that..A 1996 GTS has that history to it..

Im haveing a hard time selling my 91 nsx for the same reason...The origional nsx...Much like the origional GTS,,,makes it a differant experiance..

A 1996 GTS or 1992 rt10 are KEEPERS

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But when you have a Gen2 parked next to a gen3 and you look at the head lights and panal gaps and interior or even the larger rims on the srt10 ect. Well you will quickly see that the gen2 looks old in comparison

Nope.

I can personally attest to the FACT that after attending many car shows the above statement is absolutely the opposite of what I have encountered. The Gen 2 with clamshell hood is far more eye catching side by side than most Gen 3's. I wish I had a nickle for every person who told me how much they love the curvy Gen 2 body over the much more angular Gen 3.

There is no doubt that Gen 3's are superior in every way mechanically...but purely on looks....no way.

Last edited by a moderator:

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its funny, when people discuss gen 2 Vs. gen III/IV, it ALWAYS turns into looks. Despite newer generations being better in almost every aspect, it's about the looks...and it should be. Interiors, brakes, etc can ALWAYS be changed and will ALWYS look dated. However no one buys a viper for interior reasons because there are many better value propositions out there. People buy vipers for the "**** my way, I am the king bringing raw beauty and quintessential MOPAR to this road" feeling. Thats why you buy a viper. Get which viper evokes YOUR passion.

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 1997 GTS for 6 years and much prefer the 06. The seats are more suportive, much better brakes, and you ever track the car the gen 3's and 4's are very easy to heal and toe due to much improved pedal placement. If you can heal and toe a gen 2 you are a better man than I.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have had 3 Gen IIs, and 3 Gen IIIs, and ..............................now that I have a Gen IV, dang, that is what you need to get.

As noted ,they are all different cars, and one individual suggested getting or keeping the one that trips your trigger. Everyone is passionate about what they have so this is one area it is very hard to get really subjective info. Go drive a newer one and decide --- the GTS is old school, but the new ones are frankly still just slightly refined old school. Kind of like and old Harley and a new Harley --- there is still a mystique and rawness to them compared to the luxo rides from Japan.

Get one of the Generations ( or keep yours ) , as it will be harder to get the pure feel in future Vipers thanks to all the government edicts that will have to be implemented in the next Snake - IMHO.

Last edited:

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 96 B&W is an absolute keeper. Upgrade brakes, wheels, etc and there's no comparison (IMO).

If I were going to buy a newer car, I'd save my pennies for a gen 4 acr and skip the gen 3 altogether.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a couple Gen II's and a Gen IV. If I could only keep one Viper, as crazy as it sounds, the Gen IV would be one of the ones to go. The Gen II's are so raw and the body is a piece of art!!! IMO, keep your GTS...it's a masterpiece.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I have found with the Gen3/4 cars is. IT HAS TO BE the right color combo... Im sorry, but a solid Red 06/08/09 SRT car is just boring. Where as, a solid Red GTS might not be AS desirable as a B&W. but its still a hot looking car...

But a 2006 VOI9, 2006 FE, 2006 VCA, 2006 Bee, 2008 SSG/stripes, all are HOT looking cars..

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me a gen 2 is a very classic car, great looks, very raw, has lemans racing history etc.

To me the gen 3/4 turned into a supercar, with the 200 mph (gen 3 is close enough) crazy hp #'s, rear diffusers etc.

Both are great cars. I love the looks on both cars. You should think of what you use the car for. If you are more serious about the performance and track, go with the gen 3, if not keep the gen 2. I don't believe there is a wrong decision. For me if its between the gen2 and gen 3 i'd go with the gen 2. If the gen 4 were an option, I'd go for the gen 4.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im with sween on this one..I think he summed it up nicely for me..Ive always thought of the gts/rt10 as just really in your face bad a$$ cars..Thats why I bought one..

But when I saw my first gen 3 in 2005 at a dodge dealership siiting their in the special area with the top down ect...WOW!!!

The interior was really nice..the push button start just seemed really kool. then those fins on the back under that massive rear difusser just really did it for me...Not to mention the 220 mph speedo..

Theirs just a lot of little things about the srt10 that put it more in the supercar realm of my imagination than the gen2's ever were..

the gen2's are no doubt awesome cars and I would defiently be driving one if I didnt have a gen3...probally an all black rt10..

The one thing you just cant knock about the gen2 is the engine...

11.9's at 120 mph back in 1996...holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!Thats insane

The gen3 on the other hand is more like 11.8's at 122 in 2003..Not nearly as impressive via time element

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
+1

It is incredibly annoying.

Nick

Because my 2000 ACR (802rwhp)is an option that could be considered. It's like a 96 with over $40,000 worth of modifications. It earns car show trophies, I has double the factory hp. It's faster around the track because it has $10K worth of racing shocks. It retains it's value above both a 96 and an '06 because of it's low (232) production numbers.

I agree that if the poster has no desire for the bigger hp it may not belong in a "stock" thread. One post here suggests upgrading brakes etc and keeping the 96. It would be a better deal to sell the 96 add about $10-15K and buy my ACR (saving $25-30K).

Ted

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You refer to it in multiple threads where a supercharged '00 ACR not the topic of interest. People know of the classified section, which your car is in, and if they are interested your contact info is in the ad. You own a specialty vehicle, it isn't going to sell quickly.

Nick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang