1997 Blue/White GTS from OHIO. Please read, Please contact me.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to take a stab at this here, and I'm fairly certain someone who reads this, will know EXACTLY what I'm referring to. The community of Viper owners/collectors is very small, so here goes. It's a very long story, but to cut right to the chase. I had secured a purchase of a certain 1997 Viper GTS out of Shagrin Falls, OH, Tuesday of last week. Bill of sale was signed by both the seller and myself. Payment IN FULL (not a deposit) was sent Wed. of last week, overnight via Fedex, accepted AND DEPOSITED by the seller. Exotic Transportation was to pickup the car up, early this week. Done deal, right??..............

I recieve an "e-mail" last night, in which the seller was now changing the price of the vehicle to the tune of $3,500 additonal. Because he now had "other" offers for this car for more money. And if I did not "match" this offer. He was selling it to someone else. Keep in mind, he is paid IN FULL, for the car at this point via signed bill of sale. Obviously, there are no words to describe my reaction to this "email".

I will not get into any more details (i.e names, address,VIN,etc), because it's a legal matter at this point. But, If anyone is considering purchasing this car. I strongly suggest you contact me before any funds are sent. There are some things about the car, title status and future proceedings, that you might be very interested in. If you decide not to contact me, thats fine. But the case will proceed regardless. I don't care about the legal costs, I am going to pursue this. Everything is documented. Car,VIN,price,Bill of sale, payments,fedex slip,etc..

Thank you. Again, hopefully this will reach the intended party. I'm not upset with anyone, other than the seller at this point. He left it on the market to "feel out" other offers AFTER we had a deal. But, If you are the prospective buyer #2. I would suggest giving me a call, to discuss. send me a PM with your number.

If not, and no one knows what I'm talking about. I sincerely apologize in advance. But this is the only place, I can think of to get this message out.

I really don't want to get involved with replies on this public forum. If you have knowledge about this. Lets talk via telephone. thanks..!

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I feel for you. I hope this all gets ironed out and you get your money back or the car as promised ASAP.

Good luck and keep us updated.

PittsS2B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron sorry to hear of your troubles with this ****. I am in Ohio, but am not aware of this car or I would talk to this individual for you.
Good luck in your in your legal pursuit, however the courts here in Ohio are backed up beyond belief. I have have been involved in a civil suit against a neighbor of mine and it took 2 years to get to trial, and it has been 5 months since the trial with still no verdict from the judge.

I have no faith in our so called 'justice system' anymore, but am sure that a baseball bat to the knees would still work great!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very good notice

you have a valid contract based on what you have said, you will win, or can make him dangle in the wind

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suggest take some time off and go see him in person. pick up your car. and arrange to transport. take your paperwork with you. If you wait to long....who knows what the condition of the car will be after a court date. always buy face to face.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I suggest take some time off and go see him in person. pick up your car. and arrange to transport. take your paperwork with you. If you wait to long....who knows what the condition of the car will be after a court date. always buy face to face.

Face to face doesn't always work either. I purchased a vehicle on August 8th of last year, went to get the vehicle in person. It was exactly as described in the ad. I payed cash for the vehicle and the seller was SUPPOSED to send the remaining amount owed on it. He still to this date has not payed the vehicle off and continues to make the monthly payments. I have possession of the vehicle, but in my state I can't legally drive it. I gave him 2K more than he owed and I had a witness with me and full paperwork and receipt. There is still a certain amount of trust involved.

OP...good luck I hope you get this issue resolved quickly.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good point! If the bill of sale was signed by both parties, the seller has made the commitment! What a joker. Good luck, but 2snakes4us has a good point...be careful.

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, what a nightmare. I know you've been looking long and hard for a '96 - '97. Good Luck - I hope it all works out.

Time to take a trip to Ohio and beat some a$$!!!:rant::nunu:

Cheers, Lee

KyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TAXIMAN, that car, or at least I am pretty sure it is the same car was on ebay. It sold at approximatly 11AM Sunday the 24th (yesterday). I was real close to bidding on it but held up because somthing just looked strange. Seller also was selling a Hummer (did not meet reserve). Same location in Chargrin Falls Ohio. Seller was named 1paver on ebay. Sold for just under 44K.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Face to face doesn't always work either. I purchased a vehicle on August 8th of last year, went to get the vehicle in person. It was exactly as described in the ad. I payed cash for the vehicle and the seller was SUPPOSED to send the remaining amount owed on it. He still to this date has not payed the vehicle off and continues to make the monthly payments. I have possession of the vehicle, but in my state I can't legally drive it. I gave him 2K more than he owed and I had a witness with me and full paperwork and receipt. There is still a certain amount of trust involved.

***? that sounds like ameture night to me on Your behalf. When you buy a car from someone that has a loan on it you are not buying the car from them, you are buying it from their Bank. Therefor you send the check directly to the bank

Am i missing something dun?
fyi: How to Buy a Car With a Lien on It | eHow.com
Buying a car with a lien on it

----------------
goodluck Taximan

98RT98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
question???? where is Shagrin Falls Ohio ??? im from ohio and there is NO Shargin Falls that i know of ???

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jesus that's just terrible very sorry to hear Taximan1..........awful.

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I think about it as of right now he has stolen YOUR car. You have paid for it in full, have a bill of sale in your name, therefore it is your car. I would call it in stolen and have the cops pay him a visit.

I could be wrong, but I think this could work.

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey TAXIMAN, I showed your post to my wife who's a Lawyer for a huge firm in Mannhattan. She went over it with some of the other lawyers she works with. Her feelings are forget the car and concentrate on getting your money back. You can take this to court but this could take you months and months to get done especially since you and the seller are in different states. This will give him way to much time with your money. Get your money back as you can allways find another car is the addvice comming from all my wife spoke with includding her.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I think about it as of right now he has stolen YOUR car. You have paid for it in full, have a bill of sale in your name, therefore it is your car. I would call it in stolen and have the cops pay him a visit.

I like this one but I'd be there with the cops in person

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a crappy situation and I'd be pissed, too. The advice about getting your money back and forgetting about it is probably the best things to do. If you go to court and sue for breach of contract, it'll take forever and I believe the best you'll get out of it is your money back. I've been in BoC disputes before, and the best you'll get is forcing the other party to satisfy the terms of the contract or refund your money. If you can prove fraud, there are some more remedies available to you, but that's always a tough thing to do - you have to prove that the other party went into the agreement with the intent of breaching it. They could make the argument that "something happened" after the agreement was entered into that compelled them to break the agreement - which is a breach, but not fraud.

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this story and I wish you luck in getting your car, but what ever happened to buying a car the old fashioned way?

1. Show up to see car, like car, buy car with funds, get title from owner and sign paperwork, drive car away; or

2. Show up to see car, like car (has lien), go to bank, pay off lien holder/owner, get title from lien holder and sign paperwork, drive car away.

The stories I hear like this confirm why I will never buy or sell a vehicle through the mail, over the phone, Ebay, etc...the deal should be done in person with the end result being the purchaser leaving with the vehicle and all the necessary paperwork signed and the seller with money in-hand. Unless you personally know and trust the other party, there are too many things can go wrong with all the scammers or people who don't give a crap about you out there.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Without a title in hand, it is NOT his car.

As mentioned it is likely a civil matter regarding a payment and a promise to remit (the bill of sale).

I agree with the suggestion to just try and get the money back. There are other cars and other owners who will provide a significantly smoother transaction.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow - that's terrible.

And it's even worse that the likelihood of getting any "justice" here is going to be a long, drawn out and expensive process. damn - it's - as my dad used to say - "the principle of the thing".

Aside from getting the title overnighted to you (might not have been a bad idea) - or picking up the car in person - little else you could do - and based on what you say here - behaved with honor.

Note to self - pay money - get title. period - at least it's a doc that would prevent him from selling the car to anyone else. Again - the fact that we're thinking about this is sad. Usually it's deadbeat BUYERS - not deadbeat SELLERS.

Sigh.

If he wanted an auction - go to ebay - otherwise - put a price on crap you want to sell and close the deal.

grrrr.....

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Play hardball with this guy... I got beat out of a $500 deposit on a car that was contingent on a failed independent inspection... Now the guy refuses all contact from me... Some people won't walk away from money in hand no matter the circumstances... When I contacted the police (12 hours away from me) they did some checking and called me back advising that it is a civil matter.

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the comments and support. I realize the mistakes I made during this transaction. When you get excited about something. Sometimes you just believe and hope (so strongly) that everything will work out. That you throw caution to the wind. I am guilty...

At this point, the deal is dead. And I discovered some very interesting things about this car. VERY INTERESTING.

earned premium on insurance for 1 week - $50.00
fed ex fees - $22.00
stop payment charges - $75.00
(check was deposited, but did not clear fed. until today, got it just in time)

Being able to walk away from this pile of garbage car and seller for $147.00. PRICELESS !!!!

Thank you guys... Take this as a lesson. If your in the market for a car, buy from a VCA member. Some of the best and nicest people I've ever met.

thanks again...
Ron