1999 GTS clutch problem

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just went out to drive my car and the clutch has no tension for the first 75% of the pedal depression. I have to have the pedal on the floor to put it in gear and as soon as I lift the pedal an inch it engages...

I don't know very much about cars, oil and spark plugs about covers my knowledge...

Any thoughts??? What should I be looking for???

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the clutch master cylinder fluid level. If it's full, it might be time to bleed the clutch! You should be able to search and find a write up on that. It's really easy and will take no more than an hour.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does the clutch pedal feel spongy, if so it probably got some air in the line.

But if not maybe the plastic bushing on the pivot shaft at the top of the pedal collapsed and needs replacment, try wiggling the pedal and see if it has some looseness at the top or any sideways movement. Or maybe the clip is broken ... Watch with a trouble light or flashlight and see if there is any movement between the pedal and the linkage through the firewall.

Ted

OP
OP
H

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK I took your advice and tried to have a look at the car... realized I didn't know what the hell I was doing and sooooooooooooo

Viper_towed.jpg

Now I'm waiting for the dreaded " estimate " call...lol

I'll let you know what it was.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with "Handyman" as your user name i couldnt help but laugh at your last post:)

goodluck at getting her back road worthy and be sure to let us know the problem/fix

OP
OP
H

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL I got the nickname after I attempted to install a humidifier onto my furnace that ended up with a 911 call...lol So it's kinda ironic

I'll post the details when I get the bill after they fix it, but suffice it to say I hard

clutch yadda yadda
linkage yadda yadda
plate yadda yadda
flywheel yadda yadda
screwed yadda yadda

$3100 I heard loud and clear...lol Should have it back in a few days one part is coming from Florida.

OP
OP
H

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Dom... I just realized your the guy I slagged on the " learn to park " thread. Now you turn out to a nice guy...don't I feel the heel...lol

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$3100 I heard loud and clear...lol Should have it back in a few days one part is coming from Florida.

That's....depressing. I'm sure it's something minor. I hate the fact that everyone adds Viper Tax to our cars when we take them in. This car is as easy to work on as a Chevy Cobalt. :(

OP
OP
H

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The real kicker is I am planning on going TT this winter and was going to go with a new clutch and gen 4 tranny, now I have to replace the clutch and whatever else it needs now. Then decide what to do with the clutch/tranny this winter....

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I missed the info but where did you get the car towed to?

You realize they are trying to screw you right...

New Luk (stock) clutch - $185
Flywheel chromoly upgrade - $300

Include your trans:

Gen IV trans take out - $2500-3000

Maybe they are quoting you based on something else being broken but I agree with the above suggestions about needing to bleed the clutch for starters. Check the pedal second. Worst case would be just a new clutch and master/slave cylinder(s).

Good luck.

:usa:

Moparjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get your car back from them now lol. Like others have said it could be as simple as low clutch master fluid level, bleeding the system. That or a master or slave are the most likely culprits. None of those parts cost much at all. Like others have said, even if by some miracle it needs a new clutch entirely, that is less than $200. As far as labor, the trans/clutch out and in can be done in a few hours by any competant mechanic. Its simple like any old school RWD car its literally no harder than it is on a 69 Charger. Even with replacing EVERYTHING master, slave, clutch I would quote someone no more than $500 in parts on the outside high side, and maybe 4-5 hours of labor so even at $100 an hour I can't believe it would be more than $1000 TOPS and that would be a ripoff even since there's no way every component has failed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang