1999 rt10...$2300 to mod...What to do

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well my 1999 rt10 currently has smooth tubes and no cats putting out 428 rwhp and 473 rwt...

My wife just gave me the seal of aprovement to spend up to $2300 to mod my baby some more to try and edge out a nasty local 408 firebird with all the works putting out around 500 rwhp and 500 rwt...

Besides NOS...What mods would you recommend for my price range and needs..

im thinking I can get some nice 1.7 roller rockers for $800 and have them and everything else I need installed for around $1200..

The problem is that Ill only have a grand left and probally only be around 440 rwhp after this mod....

Well as you can see Im pretty lost and would appreciate your ideas. ALSO... weres a nice board were i can look at USED viper mods?

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question...
WHY not Nitrous?
It's freakin awesome and it will NOT hurt your 99 since you have forged pistons. I spray the crap out of mine all the time and i've had 0 problems!

Install Nitrous and you'll spank whatever firebird your talkin about!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOS is a great option and I've got the RR when ready, but also think about 3.45 gears. Excellent bang for the buck(about $800-$1200 installed).

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nitrous ( nitrous express kit for about $1000 )
VEC2 (bonkers has a used one for sale for $600)
Rockers ( buy from 99 R/T 10 for i think 850 )

and i have a nice way to spray nitrous if ya want. just check the classifeds on the other site. its a set of smooth tubes with a bar welded in and powdercoated for the solenoids $100 )

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 10 qt. oil pan and a radiator upgrade, not any more hp but it does set you up for future power.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is everyone going to skate right over the wife permission thing? Better ask her what mods, she might want pink lace around the rocker panels to match the bed spread.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good point andrew but i was being nice about that stuff for a change. i DO find it pathetic though.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL! :D

Is everyone going to skate right over the wife permission thing? Better ask her what mods, she might want pink lace around the rocker panels to match the bed spread.

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't NOS bad for your engine, burns up seals, gaskets, rings etc. Especially if your spraying alot.

How about gears as a potential upgrade.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rockers, a vec2, and a tuner to tune it. easy stuff.

Or spend all 2300 on driving school.

DEFINITELY the best Bang for your buck for that $$$..Those are actually my next 2 mods.... :headbang:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also if you are not going to supercharge your car, you can go with the Harland Sharp 1.7 RR. The harland sharps are only $600. The JEsels are more than twice that and really will only benefit you with much bigger HP. There is even a Used VEC2 under the classifieds here for $600, which is normally $1,200. I would buy it buy i would rather spend it right now on the brakes...doing Tom's 40 MM rear caliper upgrade next..Good Luck.... :headbang:

OP
OP
A

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Im at 428/473 at the wheels right now. What can I expect from the 1.7 RR's and a VEC2 tune????

Thanks...

Also...Could i get my stock heads ported to make extra power in this price range??

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$2300 REALLY means $3K right, I mean, after taxes, shipping charges and all. hahhaaa!

post pics of your dyno when you get done, and have fun, spring is gonna be a blast for you

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Im at 428/473 at the wheels right now. What can I expect from the 1.7 RR's and a VEC2 tune????

Thanks...

Also...Could i get my stock heads ported to make extra power in this price range??

I would say RR's at best will net you maybe 20 but since you have the stock exhaust manifolds getting your heads done and staying with stock manifolds will gain you very little. Not to mention I'm pretty sure you will not get your heads done for $2300. We all know headers aren't cheap and if you did buy a set that would take 1/2 of your $2300 for maybe what? another 20. This could be debated all day but we are still talking less than a total of 50hp. I'm not selling or buying but NOS works great and is the best bang for the buck. Yes NOS can be a PIA but in the end it's the most cost effective. Just plan on loosing what trunk you have now. A 15lb bottle is 23" tall. I have an RT10 too so I know

You have PM

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
well my 1999 rt10 currently has smooth tubes and no cats putting out 428 rwhp and 473 rwt...My wife just gave me the seal of aprovement to spend up to $2300 to mod my baby some more to try and edge out a nasty local 408 firebird with all the works putting out around 500 rwhp and 500 rwt...

Besides NOS...What mods would you recommend for my price range and needs..

You say 'beside NOS' and then you get: "Go NOS" ?!

1) REAR GEAR SWAP...this alone could edge the broiled-chicken (firebird)
2) REAR GEAR SWAP labor cost
3) REAR GEAR SWAP even helps you SLOW DOWN better!
4) Roller Rockers and Throttle bodies

That's not just a wife....thats a C.F.O. !!

OP
OP
A

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way on the heads hugh for 2300?????

So it seems that most of you are in agreeance that some 1.7 RR's and VEC2 can net me a solid 30 rwhp?????

Putting me right around 450 rwhp....

Still far away from 500 rwhp like im looking for...

Think i might just throw some of my money on top and get some half decent heads..Even the cheapest head job should be good for 40 rwhp right?

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eibach Springs . $400 installed. Great & easy mod. No speed adder, but it sure makes the car look & handle better.

Second, I would install a good set off headers and then start saving money for the heads.

You won't touch a good set of heads for even double that price (by the time you add gaskets, rockers, headers etc. its even worse) I've never seen any cars with street tires show signicant 1/4 improvements with gears (from a roll maybe?). The same with lightweight flywheels.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the gears, i have only heard NEGATIVE things from people swapping them out. They were by far the best bang for the buck with all my Mustangs of the past, but not Vipers....I have been advised by many to stay away from the gears.

OP
OP
A

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea Ive only read negative things about gears as well....

IMHO the last thing a bone stock car that can put down 465 rwt needs is more gear...

I just went and checked out the classifides. Saw a borla header system for 1100...As well I also saw a ROE SC system for 3500. If the ROE unit is 100% complete I may just go that route for now...

The borla headers pretty decent?

As for the roe my buddy has a GTS that recently dynoed 590 on 10 pounds with the blower and pump gas, so i know that the ROE is good.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can get a used belanger header system for 1k or so. the Borlas ain't so good as headers. and that 3500 is about 1200 over the price you asked about. plus all the installation little stuff. i bet it doesn't have a VEC2 either.

good luck!

JD

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
-Only negative things on gears? Everyone rants and raves about gears. The general consensus is that gears feel like 50whp...but really in the end do not get you a better quarter mile time. Definitely increases drivability in many situations.

-A good set of heads are 2x what you have available to spend.

-Roller rockers and Vec 2 are your best no-nitrous option.

-Headers on 98+ cars won't give you all that much bang for the buck

-You make really good numbers for only straight pipes and smooth tubes.

That 3500 ROE Kit should have been taken down weeks and weeks ago, that seller either sold immediately or is a flake. Many have received no response.

Be patient. Ebay deals come up quite frequently. Daniel Cragin sells good stuff on ebay from time to time and they do sell for good prices. He had a set of Bellanger headers go for 900 and some HS Rockers go for 350 or so. Hunt for a while, and you can put that 2300 to good use. My goal is headers/cats-straight pipes/exhaust for under 1500 bucks. So far I am on target.