$1M for a Corvette and only $125 for a Viper?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night several VCA members had the pleasure of attending the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale. Among the many incredible cars auctioned off was a 2008 Cuda concept from Metalcrafters ($145K - biggest steal of the night), the FIRST 2008 Dodge Challenger ($400K), and the first Corvette ZR1. Well, that last car got a final bid of $1,000,000. Mind you, the charitable nature of the sale and Jay Leno himself pimping it certainly didn't hurt.

And I have to tell you, as a Corvette fan myself (owned several) and with several other current and former Corvette owners - it was very underwhelming to say the least: The brake rotors were cool (if you you know to look for them), otherwise the hood is the only thing the average car enthusiast might notice. And that, with the utmost respect, is one of the most lame things I have EVER seen from any manufacturer: Undoubtedly a very expensive change (clear window showing the plastic engine cover), it adds absolutely nothing functional to the car or its performance - it just looks goofy and out of place. Now the ACR is pretty much about function in every respect: Every wing, canard, splitter, and wheel is designed to increase the performance of the car. And it just happens to look awesome as a result.

But here is the kicker: The Corvette had already sold for it's $1M and we were chatting with some of the Dodge Challenger's "handlers" from Chrysler. We talked about the ACR in comparison (no contest) and they remarked that they thought the first ACR could really be a star on the Barrett-Jackson stage. We then told them that the first ACR was actually the current VCA raffle car and they were absolutely stunned. We told them the odds and the ticket costs and they thought we were insane. Of course they wanted to buy tickets (lots) but couldn't.

But as a VCA member, you can. Please support your VCA and our ability to champion the cause of the Viper program (VOI, etc.). We still have a pretty decent number of tickets left (out of only 2750 total) and only 11 days left to sell them:

http://www.vipermagazine.com/pdf/raffleflyer.pdf

And when you bring your first 2008 Viper ACR (and magazine cover car) to a major car show and park next to the $1M Corvette (that is slower around a road course), tell them it only cost you $125. :2tu:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And when you bring your first 2008 Viper ACR (and magazine cover car) to a major car show and park next to the $1M Corvette (that is slower around a road course), tell them it only cost you $125. :2tu:

Why thank you- I'll do just that:2tu:

p.s. will I recieve some type of confirmation that my faxed ticket purchase was received??

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's too bad that the SRT crew does not have the marketing in full force or even in some kind of small force. I mean it was a golden opportunity. Ford sponsors the program but the Chevy ZR1 walks away the clear winner. I really thought the 1st Dodge Challenger would have went for more money, but then again it is lacking power next to the Shelby and soon to be produced Camero. 420 hp which is still an awesome number is about 80 hp shy of where the other boys play and no manual transmission. The first GT-500KR wentfor abotu what I figured and of course Ron Pratt was going to buy it. Nobody had a chance.

What I thought was interesting was the first ZR1 will be the only car painted in Lemans Blue. Lemans Blue, GTS blue, they are all pretty close to the old Daytona Cobra colors, but I thought that was a hit below the belt, personally.

The ZR1 is not for me, but I thought Jay Leno's comments on the 35+ mpg CAFE requirements and how it might affect the sports car hobby in just a few years, were rather interesting. He would be in the know because he practically has GM working in his personal back yard and on his payroll at times for his projects.

Guess proof is in the pudding. This new ACR better perform and have some good drivers drive it. Total ********** on the track is the only think that is going to save face here.

It does sound like this car is it for Chevy though in regards to the horsepower wars. Dodge better come out with a 700 hp complete carbon fiber version so that it makes sure to just trounce on the vette.

Today is sure playing comparisons to the early 70s though totally different cicumstances, but death to the modern sports cars does appear immenent. JMHO.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But as a VCA member, you can. Please support your VCA and our ability to champion the cause of the Viper program (VOI, etc.). We still have a pretty decent number of tickets left (out of only 2750 total) and only 11 days left to sell them:.........
So what happens if all the tickets don't sell????

BlackCrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Leno borrowed the Duntov quote from Shelby.

Please - offer a Cuda 71 style cuda w/gills, quad headlights , cheesegrater grill, 7.0L Hemi , Coupe & Vert & a Phantasm Black Edition ;)

Thanks for the Youtube clip , funnny seeing linda vaughn there as I just purchased this
car which she has signed in front of many times.
http://i23.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/c3/f4/12f3_3.JPG :2tu:

Well when the smoke clears there will be lots of "common" ZR1's & but relatively few
wild colored 600hp N/A hand built Vipers. :D

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's too bad that the SRT crew does not have the marketing in full force or even in some kind of small force. I mean it was a golden opportunity.

If you want to see how bad the marketing dept really is, you should have been with us in Detroit. i think the word "*****" if being very kind.

the ZR-1 display had a cute woman describing the car, they had a nice "ZR-1" picture behind the car, an army of ZR-1 shirts were seen everywhere, the frame of the car was hanging on display, they did a SUPERB job.

the new ACR viper did its little circles on the turn table. that was it.

this was the SUPERBOWL - the detroit auto show! i felt that the marketing was horrible and a even bit embarrassing. can a decent "data board" be that expensive? what - $200? even the cheapest toyota had some sort of a data board.

DC - fire the marketing dept and call me! i would be happy to do it for FREE.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Come to think of it - when was the last time you saw ANY memorable ads from Chrysler? Last I can remember would be the - Hey, that thing got a hemi? Why would they not have a Viper in some of their backgrounds?

And - they only need to sell approximately 1200 tickets to hit the minimum requirement of $120,000 in ticket sales to avoid going to a 50/50 raffle. Any guess on what the first '08 ACR would bring at Barrett-Jackson?

Last edited:

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad to see many people mention the plexiglass window in the hood of the ZR1. I saw it in one of the auto rags, and thought OMG is that a joke. Some Ferraris, Lambos, and the Porsche GT have clear windows to show off the gorgeous engines...not some crappy engine cover...ridiculous. If anyone ever complains about a Viper of any sort with any kind of wing...remember GM made a plexiglass window to display an engine cover...it really doesn't get much worse than that.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was there and unless my eyes were deceiving me that does indeed look like a young lady by that ACR circling round and round. I did not get a good picture of the ZR1 girl but the ACR girl has my vote!

100_4591.jpg

Had we all had the same ACR type shirt on it would have been similar. Note that Chrysler did have a free picture stand at the ACR exhibit and TWO ACR's on display (one in the Michelin display).

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we were there from 9 am to about 1 pm and never saw the lady above. and the other ACR you speak of was in a Michelin display, that was located in a non-visible small far corner that most people werent even aware of, that Mich and i happen to bump into only by complete accident.

how about a video screen running above the car? i know that ACR videos already exist - they are all over YOUTUBE.

we had 100 VCA members there. how about giving us all a free ACR polo shirt of some kind? i would be happy to wear one.

it just seems like the whole thing could have been 1000% better, and for very little time, thought and money.

maybe the new ACR is not as big of a deal as i think it is. :dunno:

Last edited:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we were there from 9 am to about 1 pm and never saw the lady above. and the other ACR you speak of was in a Michelin display, that was located in a non-visible small far corner that most people werent even aware of, that Mich and i happen to bump into only by complete accident.

how about a video screen running above the car? i know that ACR videos already exist - they are all over YOUTUBE.

we had 100 VCA members there. how about giving us all a free ACR polo shirt of some kind? i would be happy to wear one.
:dunno:

Ok. I cannot argue the Michelin display location. But it is in a high traffic area. Located right at one of the entrances, and the one closest to the eating areas and where most of the people that ventured to the lower level passed when returning.

As far as the video board I think that this qualifies.
100_4612.jpg

100_4613.jpg

100_4611.jpg

I too wish that we all could have shirts available touting the ACR. Would of paid for it as well (not sure if the vette people paid for them or not but they were certainly out in force and appeared to be part of the Corvette club).

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to see how bad the marketing dept really is, you should have been with us in Detroit. i think the word "*****" if being very kind.

the ZR-1 display had a cute woman describing the car, they had a nice "ZR-1" picture behind the car, an army of ZR-1 shirts were seen everywhere, the frame of the car was hanging on display, they did a SUPERB job.

the new ACR viper did its little circles on the turn table. that was it.

this was the SUPERBOWL - the detroit auto show! i felt that the marketing was horrible and a even bit embarrassing. can a decent "data board" be that expensive? what - $200? even the cheapest toyota had some sort of a data board.

I think we should run the marketing dept. for Chrysler. After the SRT engineering deal I called Mopar Performance to see if they would re-issue the ACR wheels as an Mopar Perf part # again. Correct me if I'm wrong but is the old ACR wheel not a sure fire sales item now? After explaining for literally 20 min. Here was the answer I got...........

"My boss just walked by and asked what you wanted, I told him and he said forget it...it'll never happen. We sold like three sets of those wheels in the past and we are'nt doing it again. "

I explained that the market has changed and they are a hot item. There response.......

" This is corporate, even if we sold every set it's not worth our time.........in fact he said you'll love this....in a few years Chrysler will most like send those wheels to the crusher and just take the write off."

Ladies and Gentlemen this is why this country is goin down the drain.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand everybody's disappointment with Viper marketing but really guys, how important is that? The 08 ACR will be tracked. Lots and lots. Viper Days will probably have to create a separate class for it.

Compared to the ZR1 which will look like every other Vette at the ocassional Saturday night car show.

Which club would you rather be associated with?

This ZR1 is a magnificant poser car, but it means nothing to me.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:nono:Lets not forget that 900K of that is a tax deductible contribution to United Way. Funny thing is we are gonna see a lot of those zr1 badges on regular vettes and whose gonna know, maybe thats the main reason for the hole n the hood:lmao:

Last edited:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there are actually 2 red ACR's running around right now??:dunno: What documentation will Chrysler be providing to show that the car I win is actually the 1st one built of the series?

And, what will happen to that Michelin car??

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Michelin car IS the raffle car isn't it? It would only make sense since Michelin actually invented the tires for the Vipers?

I'll probably be purchasing a set of PS2 this summer and am looking forward to the performance difference.

A plastic hood window to show the plastic engine cover??? Thank Chrysler engineers that they designed a pretty enough engine that it doesn't need the extra weight of an engine cover panel.

Ted

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the Vette guys should have shown the actual engine rather than a engine cover, but I love the idea of the glass see through on the hood. Our Viper engines would look awesome under glass with no engine cover!!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the video board I think that this qualifies.
100_4612.jpg

you are absolutely correct, Michelin did have a nice video playing, but it was Michelin (a tire vendor) who had the video playing! i would much rather see the video being played at the Dodge (the manufacturer) display, and where i am calling everything more "center stage".

there are also alot of cool pics like this one floating around out there too.

You must be registered for see images

sorry, but to me, this is a truck display. why isnt there a big VIPER LOGO behind the VIPER? :dunno:

also, nobody knows anything about the car. it looks cool, but why isnt there a spec board? hp, downforce, year, blah, blah, blah, etc.

maybe its just me. :dunno:

ViperLB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A plastic hood window to show the plastic engine cover??? Thank Chrysler engineers that they designed a pretty enough engine that it doesn't need the extra weight of an engine cover panel.

Ted

Thats not a plastic engine cover showing through the window. Its the actual intercooler. :rolleyes:

Engine cover panels are not just to cover the engine, but more importantly, to reduce cabin noise.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not a plastic engine cover showing through the window. Its the actual intercooler. :rolleyes:

Engine cover panels are not just to cover the engine, but more importantly, to reduce cabin noise.

Hard to tell if it was an intercooler or engine cover - most will think the latter:

You must be registered for see images

Regardless, it was still pretty goofy looking and just about everybody there was saying the same thing. And I am a Corvette fan myself. And reducing cabin noise is great, but isn't a real deal breaker for most performance car buyers...

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to chime in here and agree with Y2K5SRT. I too was at Barrett-Jackson, and saw the new zr1......notice, in small letters. Still the same old paint problems with the vettes.....orange peel showed, exactly opposite with the Viper! We were at Russo & Steel auction on Friday with 25 Viper parading in with roped off parking and free passes to all of us to go anywhere at the auction. Parked at the Mopar tent was the Snake Green 08 Viper. I had just seen pictures until then I wasn't sure about the color, but it is incredible! The paint is flawless on the Viper, and makes the vette paint look like it came out of a spray can! We are spoiled! I too agree with the hood "window" that looks like a second rate add on with the probable intent of being like a Ferrari in some sort of funky way. It just looks like another vette with the exception of the window, and the zr1 badge. I can't wait for the ACR to had it its butt on the road course. Remember, the zr1 is 200 lbs heavier than the zo6 due to the S/C that they had to use to get it to 620hp so that they could pass emissions! With a computer flash (when available) and Belangers the Viper will be close to 700hp and NA'd! We have a killer car, and we should be very proud of SRT for getting this car to the public!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big - here you go (seems to mention the downforce to me :)). You may like to know that it was Chrysler that set up Michelin with the ACR shown there. And that it was made just in time for the show as well.
100_4610.jpg

As far as having a Viper logo in the Dodge display I would guess that is not to be. They used the Viper as a halo vehicle sitting in the center of the Dodge display this year. Much better than past years. And bringing people into the Dodge vehicle area as desired.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GR8 - i saw that board too, and the electronic one (which didnt work BTW). but again, i would rather see all these goodies at 'center stage" in the Dodge display and not tucked away in a far corner somewhere, because i would be willing to bet that alot of people missed the Michelin display due to its location.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line, Dodge could have used the ACR as a showcase vehicle, not Michelin. It's not the same. And it's a missed opportunity on the part of Dodge.

And of course Dodge loaned the ACR to Michelin. How else could they have gotten it? The question is, why did they when they needed it more?

As far as the zr1's Plexiglas window, I believe under it is a cover. My only assumption is that the window will be able to be swapped out for a hood scoop of some kind, or perhaps under that cover is something very mysterious and appealing which people will soon figure out they can show off by taking off the cover. Otherwise, it's just stupid. Sorry, this is not an R-8, Ferrari, or Saleen S-7. There's nothing to see here, folks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21