2.8 0-60 MPH ET...Stock Gen V

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did a few 0-60 blasts in my buddy's 2013 5.0 last week. Was at the top of 2nd gear shifting into 3rd when passing 60, stock rear end. 1st goes to about 38mph, and 2nd just about tops off at under 60. I was able to pull off a best 0-60 of 4.6 seconds with an average of 4.7 seconds.

You must be registered for see images attach

I think your friends GT is modded or something. My '14 GT 500 does 65 in 1st gear so 0-60 is all 1st. My '12 V6 base mustang with a perf rear end tops 1st at 40mph and then rolled well past 60mph thru 2nd. How a GT 5.0 needs 3rd to get to 60mph I have no idea.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think your friends GT is modded or something. My '14 GT 500 does 65 in 1st gear so 0-60 is all 1st. My '12 V6 base mustang with a perf rear end tops 1st at 40mph and then rolled well past 60mph thru 2nd. How a GT 5.0 needs 3rd to get to 60mph I have no idea.

GT500 tranny and rear end are completely different and I believe you have a 3.31 diff. But I'm positive that redline was hit just under 40 in 1st and just at or under 60 in 2nd. He does have the track pack, so I assume he has a 3.73 rear end. It didn't deter us from getting great 60 second times though, even as we were both shifting into 3rd just as we passed 60.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT500 tranny and rear end are completely different and I believe you have a 3.31 diff. But I'm positive that redline was hit just under 40 in 1st and just at or under 60 in 2nd. He does have the track pack, so I assume he has a 3.73 rear end. It didn't deter us from getting great 60 second times though, even as we were both shifting into 3rd just as we passed 60.
Well yea on the GT500, that's why I included my V6 mustang with it 3.73 rear end. But I just looked it up and here's Fords specs:Top speed in 2nd gear @6800 rpms:
3.31's = 68mph
3.55's = 64mph
3.73's = 61mph
So no matter the gearing, if you guys were shifting to 3rd, you need to hold the rpm longer and you can snap it in 2nd. You going into 3rd is why your time was a bit slow to 60mph, you should get in the 4.3 sec range.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well yea on the GT500, that's why I included my V6 mustang with it 3.73 rear end. But I just looked it up and here's Fords specs:Top speed in 2nd gear @6800 rpms:
3.31's = 68mph
3.55's = 64mph
3.73's = 61mph
So no matter the gearing, if you guys were shifting to 3rd, you need to hold the rpm longer and you can snap it in 2nd. You going into 3rd is why your time was a bit slow to 60mph, you should get in the 4.3 sec range.

3.73's = 61mph at redline, like I said, the top of second or the bottom of third.
The car is typically rated for 0-60 in 4.4 - 4.8 seconds depending on the reviews. 4.3 by a professional driver in perfect conditions is not typical, so 4.6 was not a 'bit slow' on street tires, especially when considering the GEN1 RT/10 matches that time. I made four runs, 4.8, 4.8, 4.6, 4.7. I found the fastest times were when I shifted a couple hundred rpms just before redline on his car. Taking it all the way to redline was netting him 5.0+ times when he was behind the wheel. When he shifted just at the point when it flashes red (just before redline), he dropped his times into the 4.8 range. I suppose the speedo lags and we were actually shifting into third right at 60 anyway.

The point of the whole comment, which got lost, was that the time function is wheel based and more accurate on the Ford because of gearing. You can't hit 60MPH on a GT 5.0 in first gear when you wheelspin, like on the Viper. The whole 2.8 second time is rubbish and the 1.1 sec time proves it. My G-Tech was within a tenth or two of Ford's system.

The best ever did in my GEN2 GTS was 4.0 sec on old tires which is what the car was rated at so I was satisfied.

Last edited:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea it's funny how often mustangs pop up in the gen5 forum. Didn't mean to offend at all. I've been racing stangs since 87 so I'm as excited about them as vipers. By a bit slow I just meant a bit. I thought if you were shifting right before you hit 60 you're adding a quarter sec to your time which is a bit. Didn't mean you were not doing well with it, just trying to help honestly. Sorry if it came across wrong in th post. The gadget apps in these cars to me are just that. Although if you could get a reliable measure you could maybe use it for some tuning but seems to flukey even for that. I hadn't played with it before, it even has a start tree count down, how hokey is that. LoL. I haven't seen much posted on the G meter yet. I'd think there could be use there for testing tire and suspension setup if its more accurate and reliable then the accel apps.