2 Viper Fatalities in MA

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the remark was rather harsh, and can be taken in several ways... none of which would have been helpful to the situation. The guy said something stupid and received the proper reprimand. Let's just drop it.

Good idea Warfang. We don't want to lose focus here.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think seat belts may have helped. That thing went under the guard rail, could cut your head off.

Edit, guess I was not the only one who thought this, just took a peak at the replies.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunatley opinions are like a-holes... everybody has one...It is easy to get caught up in the moment which the DRIVER and probably not the PASSENGER got into...You know the risks when you decide to mash the throttle in a street race in a high powered Viper...A couple of bikes wanted to race me on Sunday on the interstate..I decided against due to the amount of traffic...The time and place has to be right or its a no go...Al

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...mistakes were made, a heavy price was paid....probably very nice people with many friends and family members still in shock at the loss of their loved ones...children who have had their lives changed forever...very sad

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
members or not, i think the vca should send condolences officially to the family. i just pray to god they dont read this thread.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
members or not, i think the vca should send condolences officially to the family

I'm not sure that's a good idea... in a time of pain and loss like this, sometimes people act and think irrationally. It's not unreasonable to think that some members of the family blames "that damn car" for enticing the deceased to drive stupid. The VCA sending condolences will just add fuel to the fire.

It would be a different story if a family member came here for comfort.

Whitebeard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems the family and friends have already 'seen' some of the posts, both from here and VA. There is more to this that just what is in the paper.

Anyone can get bit by the car if they let their guard down. This is not a Caddy, MB, or a Lincoln. As a driver you have to understand and respect the forces under the hood and use them.

But none of us will ever know why this happened, just that someone's kids will not have a parent to watch over them as they grow up.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, Okay! I get it. While I haven't read this thread since being admonished by the Administrator, I made a point badly and with insensitivity toward the surviving family. I apologize for that. The fatalities were a tragedy. It is especially bad for the kids who are now orphans. With luck, they have other family to care for them.

The point that was poorly stated is that these people were endangering all of us. They could have killed any one of us or our families if we had been unfortunate enough to be on that stretch of highway at the wrong time. They were apparently street racing for gosh sake. It wasn't a simple mistake that could happen to any of us. It was reckless conduct that could have left any of our kids orphans. And it wasn't a case of "well, it could have been any of us who made the mistake." If you tnink street racing is a simple mistake, fine. I don't. No one should be street racing and driving so far above their heads that stuff like this happens. Take it to the track. Based on the witness statements, it wasn't a simple case of speeding a little bit.

Street racing is right up there with DUI in my book and I'm tired of reading in the paper about innocent people being taken out by people who have no regard whatever for the safety of the rest of us. Or their own families, for that matter. I also fear for my family being taken out by some idiot and I have a very hard time finding any sympathy for someone who is a threat to my family. How much sympathy would any of you have if your families were killed by a street racer?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Street racing is right up there with DUI in my book . . . How much sympathy would any of you have if your families were killed by a street racer?
Hey "other" Phoenix - what color is your car? I'll make sure not to rev you or call you out if I run across you on the street. Wouldn't want to kill any families or anything.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's a good idea... in a time of pain and loss like this, sometimes people act and think irrationally. It's not unreasonable to think that some members of the family blames "that damn car" for enticing the deceased to drive stupid. The VCA sending condolences will just add fuel to the fire.

It would be a different story if a family member came here for comfort.

Agree 100%

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HELLO???

In the midst of all the arguing and bickering, realize this: NONE OF US WAS THERE.

Were the witnesses credible?

Where is the mysterious silver car that was allegedly speeding as well, mentioned by two witnesses?? This seems very strange and is glossed over by the finger pointing going on here.

Was foul play involved?

It could have been a hit and run that caused the Viper to crash.

All of you armchair CSI detectives should be ashamed.

Two people are dead.

Not the time to be "E-speculating" by casting the driver and his passenger in a negative light.

There could be MORE to this than what was printed and reported.

Let the cops do their job and the dead rest in peace.

Forget sending condolences for the time being, why not wait for the dust to settle and the facts to come out and set up a donation fund for the kids left without parents.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The investigation will show one thing.... The driver was distracted by the intolerable ding ding ding ding noise that NEVER goes away when you don't where youre seat belt. I have moved my viper from one garage to another and that dinging drives me up a wall. I could never drive my car without a seatbelt and that dinging is reason enough for me!

Actually, there is a way to deactivate the Ding ding ding seat belt warning from new cars. My friend was able to do it on his cars, since hes a mechanic he learned how on his cars. Don't know about the Viper though, but I'm sure theres a way. For new Fords it is something like clicking the seat beat in and out so many times and then turning the ignition off.... (Don't want to know how, but I beleive theres a way for all brands of cars)

Personally, I won't pull outta the driveway with no seatbelt on.

Sad thing to happen to anyone. Could of happend to me during my Stupid Street Racing Days as a stupid kid. I had alot of close calls. I'm actually in law enforcement, and yes I have street raced in my days. Funny how the faster my cars get.... the less I drive fast.

Last edited:

hayburner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be nice if people could keep comments less harsh in case family come here. This site was very easy to find when doing a search about the accident. It is obvious that there was an enormous lack of thinking going on. But we are all human and sometimes get "caught up" in the moment of something before we have a chance to think about our actions. This does not justify high speeds, not wearing seat belts, etc., but we are all capable of making terrible mistakes. I am not family nor did I know them much at all, but they lived in town and were well liked.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Phoenix SRT now regrets his first comments and is sincere per his recent post, perhaps the moderators could remove his first post and all reference to it. After all, the children could in the future still come across this thread if they have not already.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Phoenix SRT now regrets his first comments and is sincere per his recent post, perhaps the moderators could remove his first post and all reference to it. After all, the children could in the future still come across this thread if they have not already.

A decent idea...done.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to disagree on unpredictable. I have never had the Viper slide out on me without me expecting it to... and I'm no seasoned racer... just a careful driver that know the limitations of my car. The fat tires give you loads of traction... the problem is if you pass the tolerances of physics, no nannytech in the world is going to save you. This applies to ALL cars, Enzos and Veyrons included.

All this fearmongering is just Viper stereotypes being perpetuated. I've seen vipers wiping out from excessive lift from high speed and bad road conditions resulting in flipping end over end with the passengers only suffering superficial injuries. I don't think you'll find a SAFER car than a Viper. An idiot can kill himself with a thumbtack.

Here is a perfect example. The stock shift gate leaves A LOT to be desired. It's possible to often miss a shift and end up down a gear instead of up a gear. And guess what happens when you let the clutch out? The rear end locks up and around you go.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a perfect example. The stock shift gate leaves A LOT to be desired. It's possible to often miss a shift and end up down a gear instead of up a gear. And guess what happens when you let the clutch out? The rear end locks up and around you go.

the viper is far from perfect. However, if you can list problems... By definition, it is NOT unpredictable. In 4 years of ownership, I've mssed shifts a couple of times, but I've had a good enough head on my shoulder to stomp on the clutch. Somehow I doubt the viper is the only car that is capable of a misshift. Its nothing practice can't overcome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32