2 Viper Fatalities in MA

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheels seem to indicate it's an SRT. Both the driver and passenger died. Anybody know who this was???

Speed a possible cause in I-190 crash that claimed two

By Mike Elfland TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

WEST BOYLSTON— Speed appears to be a factor in an Interstate 190 accident that killed a man and woman, police said this morning.

The one-car crash happened about 9:45 last night on I-190 north, about a mile south of Exit 5.

A preliminary investigation by Trooper Hari Arisetty said the Dodge Viper appeared to be going over the speed limit at the time of the crash. The state police investigation is continuing.

The male driver of the car and a female passenger were declared dead at the scene, said state police. Neither victim wore a seat belt, police said.

According to state police, the driver lost control of the car and struck the Jersey barrier on the left side of the roadway before veering across the travel lanes and slamming into the guardrail off the right shoulder. The car came to rest wedged under the guardrail.

Authorities are not releasing the names of the victims until families are notified.

After the accident, the right lane of I-190 northbound was closed for about four hours. West Boylston firefighters and police assisted at the scene.

You must be registered for see images

[/B]

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gosh...that looks horrendous...SPEED maybe a factor??? With our recent ticket, we are NOT speeding. AND we buckle up...is this anyone we knew, does anyone know? ~juli

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It boggles the imagination that in this day and age people still hop into cars and don't wear seat belts.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree about the seatbelt issue, however by the looks of the accident, the car went under the guardrail. shearing off the windshield as well as their heads I bet, so a seatbelt wouldn't have done them any good in this case.
Nasty looking wreck indeed.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree about the seatbelt issue, however by the looks of the accident, the car went under the guardrail. shearing off the windshield as well as their heads I bet, so a seatbelt wouldn't have done them any good in this case.
Nasty looking wreck indeed.

I was thinking the same thing...it's a tight fit in there, nowhere to duck. It looks like a SSG or some kind of green Viper but it's hard to tell from that pic.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty bad. I feel bad for both of them, especially for the passenger. She was just along for the ride.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No seat belt. Probably cold tires. It looks like it was a convertible. From the looks of the amount of damage to the driver's side of the vehicle, they must have been traveling at a very high rate of speed when the car hit the Jersey barrier dividing the two sides of the highway. All of the driver's side body panels are gone until you get to the driver's side rear panel. You can also see that the front suspension and rear suspension are shot. I would guess that the driver was knocked unconscious on impact and the car then went completely out of control in a spin and impacted the guard rail head on. The passenger must have been thrown around like a rag doll. I feel for their respective families.

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a shot in the dark, but it looks like it's an RT/10 with gen-3 wheels to me. The color looks like the green that I think was offered in 95 and the rear bumper seems too round for a SRT. It definitely looks like it had the gen-1 clamshell hood.

Thoughts?

*edit* NVM... rear overhang is a bit short for a gen-1.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No seat belt. Probably cold tires. It looks like it was a convertible. From the looks of the amount of damage to the driver's side of the vehicle, they must have been traveling at a very high rate of speed when the car hit the Jersey barrier dividing the two sides of the highway. All of the driver's side body panels are gone until you get to the driver's side rear panel. You can also see that the front suspension and rear suspension are shot. I would guess that the driver was knocked unconscious on impact and the car then went completely out of control in a spin and impacted the guard rail head on. The passenger must have been thrown around like a rag doll. I feel for their respective families.

Wow you got all that from that pic.......................:omg:

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a shot in the dark, but it looks like it's an RT/10 with gen-3 wheels to me. The color looks like the green that I think was offered in 95 and the rear bumper seems too round for a SRT. It definitely looks like it had the gen-1 clamshell hood.

Thoughts?

No, I would say gen 3,, you can see the aluminum intake if i'm not mistaken. Back end looks just like a srt vert IMO. Also, my guess its a 03 seems like it has the black calipers, the rotors seems to be the same size also (gen 3) unless it was a brake upgrade on a gen 1/2

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I would say gen 3,, you can see the aluminum intake if i'm not mistaken. Back end looks just like a srt vert IMO. Also, my guess its a 03 seems like it has the black calipers, the rotors seems to be the same size also (gen 3) unless it was a brake upgrade on a gen 1/2

Is it just me or is going into this type of detail as to what type of spokes, spoiler, calipers, etc the car has a bit much considering two people were killed? Like I said, maybe it's just me.

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Thoughts??? How about the fact that two people were killed and it ***** talking about wether it's an RT/10 or an SRT . . . . .

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it just me or is going into this type of detail as to what type of spokes, spoiler, calipers, etc the car has a bit much considering two people were killed? Like I said, maybe it's just me.

Whats done is done,, i think people were discussing "whos car it might be"........I think thats why people were trying to figure out what year/etc the car was, maybe a member:dunno:

But anyways still terrible.

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is insane, I used to live in Worcester Mass and I took 190 to get home all the time. Very sorry to see such a nasty accident.

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree about the Seat-Belt.But, I really think that one needs to get smart about the type of vehicle we drive.I ride motorcycles, as well as drive fast cars.We all need to respect the machines that we ride/drive.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is important to understand the details of how the accident occurred. The more all of us learn from these events the greater the probability that such events will not be repeated. Think of our process as our own, informal, VCA NTSB like investigation team.

I copied the photo; adjusted it's lighting a bit and enlarged it. It is definitely a Gen III or IV and the damage I listed in my prior post seems to be confirmed by the adjusted and enlarged photo. It also looks like there is a blanket or something over the back and part of the top of the car. There may be a body under it in the car. I suspect cold tires because of the nature of the accident. It bears certain similarities to other, less violent, accidents described and shown on the VCA web site.

It was a very violent accident. This just proves once again that the Viper is not for everyone. Without nannytech it is only limited by its driver's skill set. And, as this accident shows, no skill set, or a minimal skill set ( they were not wearing seat belts) plus excessive speed can mean death. The Viper does not care.

Last edited:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9:45 pm in MA last night was a rather cool night. Cool enough for unpredictable behavior for run craps. It might have even been a little moist out that night too. The car is definitely a Gen 3 SRT, black. NO seat belts, New England cool damp weather and 500+ hp on run craps equal a recipe for disaster.

Bobpantax is right, road conditions were favorable for a horrible accident for a Viper in the hands of the wrong driver.

My prayers are with the deceased.