20 inch HRE 547R wheels ordered today!

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is my first post in this or any site so go easy on me huh? I just bought my first Viper 1 month ago. I'm sure you all know what I'm going through. My first purchase was high flow cats and the 3 inch corsa system. WOW is all I have to say about that change. Anyone on the fence about what exhaust to buy... Corsa w/ randomtech cats are it!
Then I started to look at wheels. I looked at all the posts on this site and others sorting this out. I settled on the HRE 547r in 20 inch...front and back. I know from what I've read on this board that HRE did'nt make them but I emailed a couple people and found out that they would. I bought my exhaust from JonB at partrack.com so it was no suprise to me that he had best deal.(By far)
It looks like I will have the first set of these on a viper. They are due here by Valentine's day. Until then I will be installing a new "system". I have a clarion monitor/dvd/mp3player, a rear view camera, jl audio 12w7, RF amps etc, etc to play with while I wait for 20's.
I will post some pics as soon as the stereo is completed. You may not know who I am but I feel like I know all of you.(jon says I'm a "lurker") Thank you to JonB and everyone on this site (hold SVS, who did not return my emails). I will have many ?s to come... now that I've broken the ice.
99 GTS black/tan

OP
OP
S

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Tony
I've seen your Mooney a few times while lurking. Nice prop, nice paint, and I bet you have a nice int. and panel too! GNS530 yet? Looks like a nice IFR plane. How fast do you cruise? I just sold my 1960 c182 w/ pponk 520 and 3 blade. Looking for a Socata now (I weigh 250lbs). Who did your paint job on the mooney?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert, exactly how does one go about verifying who has the best deal on wheels that don't exist? And I am taking it easy on you.
smile.gif
I hope you get them, but there have been several of us bugging HRE about making R's for a while now and I hope you don't get your hopes up just to be left waiting indefinitely like everyone else. How much were they, and who promised the 2/14 delivery date, Jon or someone at HRE? Feel free to use e-mail if you like.

OP
OP
S

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have read enough here to know that 547R HRE 20's have not been done yet but I had to find out. I was surprised (as was my visa) to find that they were going to build them and they did have pricing. (2 dealers gave me a real price) JonB can answer the price and availability ?'s.
Ronnie- I know that does not answer your ? but Jon can do it a bit better. I hope he will see this and tell HRE's side of the story soon. Thanks

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SnakeAv8r JLAudio 12w7
dunno.gif
Do you mean 10w7?
I would like to get 19/20 set up for mine. Did you get an arrival date on the wheels?
driving.gif

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3 sets being built as we speek I have put 20 wheels a a diablo but they where not reverse drop center. All my sets are 540R chrome plated. Call for pricing I can supply the hard to get Pirelli PZero tires
You must be registered for see images

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jasontarnutzer:
OK Jon B, you know I am in for 20"'s also, whats the scoop on them??????????????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can always get QUOTES from HRE and others, but this is a firm ORDER.

As you may know from supplier message board, HRE had 'promised' PartsRack the R-series wheels for VOI-7. We are their #1 Viper wheel distributor. We strategized and planned for months. I even had a larger booth space to debut them. No deal. They are actually 18+ months overdue right now! So I was REAL gunshy before making delivery promises, and have posted to that effect.

Posted Elsewhere (search) was our promise to debut R-series wheels in early 2003. THE WAIT IS OVER ! Mr Crowder obtained several QUOTES and then placed his ORDER for 547-R, 20" wheels via PartsRack (thanks!) HRE confirmed the order (vs a quote), and HRE promises him shipment by 2/14. HRE has met or beat its delivery promises on virtually every firm order.

Mike Adams is a big HRE distrib too, and he does lots of cars beside Viper! He actually placed a firm Viper 19F 20R order first, but that "stagger" 19" F is not yet available for a couple more months.

Mr Crowder and anyone else would also have to wait for 19F-20R, but his 20-20 order is being cut as we speak, at a great price.
And I am willing to take his wheels in trade...
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY !

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I wasn't doubting anything Jon said; I've bought several things from Jon (including my ACR wheels) and had nothing but first class service and products. But I know HRE has given Jon dates in the past for 540 R's that didn't hold up, and I've spoken to HRE myself and been given dates for 540 R's that didn't pan out. I hope they're finally going to make some, although I'll probably wait on the 18's. Make sure and post pics if/when you get them on.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
19x10 reverse drop for the front are available and 20x13 rears are available. the fronts have 2" lip and the rears a 4" outer lip. The 19 rear reverse drops may never come available as they are stock size on srt10 so John at HRE has not decided if he is even going to make them.

I was the first to get HRE the official offsets from Chrysler so he has allocated 3 set which I ordered in Dec from him. They are scheduled to be deliver on Jan 24,2003. One set going on a 2002 yellow GTS, another on a black RT10 and the final set on my own Car 1998 Silver GTS.

To put 20" all the way around HRE has do build a Narrower rim than stock. I beleive for the front they have to go to a 20x9. I have done a 20" rear set up on a diable with 19 fronts and looks amazing. This runs a 345/25R20 on the rear and a 275/30r19 on the front. Pirelli Pzero rosso's are what I am using.

You must be registered for see images

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, what have you heard about availability of the 18's? My concern about 20's is that 1) the sidewall on 20" tires is too small for my taste; and 2) you have only 1 choice of tires, and no guarantees about how long that choice may be available. Not to mention the effect of the sidewall on ride and straightline traction. 19's would be better, but the only rear tire choice there is a run flat isn't it? Also, BFG supposedly has said it's going to come out with a 345/18 drag radial April 1, which would be really sweet for those of us with superchargers. I hope John comes through with the 18's.

OP
OP
S

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike is right about the front. To get the R wheel in a 20inch, you have to go to a 9 inch wide rim in the front. The tire is the same width as the stock size at 275. This is a trade off but the contact patch will be the same so I'm fine with it. If I ever take it to the track, it will have my stock 18's on it. My enjoyment comes from standing and staring at my toys in the garage for the most part so these HRE's will do the job. I wanted to ask what everyone thinks of the finish? Clearcoat, polished or chrome. I live on the water and Jon thinks that will be extra tough on the polished(no clearcoat). Any advice? I hate how clearcoat dulls. Thanx

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RedGTS,

Michelin makes a non runflat Pilot Sport in a 345-35-19 - I have these on my 19" 546's.

Robert,

I went with full chrome on my HRE's. No maintenance like the polished and no clear coat to dull.

OP
OP
S

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anthony
I have had a hell of a time with chrome wheels pealing. It happens on the inside of the wheels that is not really visible unless you look close. I've had a few sets of 20s by KMC, Arelli, Giovanna and Anterra and all have pealed. I swore this time that I would not get chrome for that reason... even though we both know what looks the best. I think living here surrounded by water has had a negative effect on chrome. ***** huh? Otherwise there would be no choice to make. I may change my mind if I get one of those bubble covers that could keep the air salt free. How long have you had yours and how have they held up? Can you post a pic or 2 of your wheels here? Thanx

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony, what size tire are you running on the front? Seems like all the available fronts for the 19's are at least an inch and a half shorter overall than the 345/30 rears.