2000 GTS transmission problem

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gts 2000 is becoming hard to shift and it is very hard to put in reverse. On the transmision it is stated to use Dexron II, I changed the oil but it is still hard to shift any recommendation on what to do or oil to use.

Thanks

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may also want to check the fluid in the reservoir. Try bleeding the clutch fluid as it's probably never been changed. It's also possible that the slave cylinder is going out, which is would probably show up as low fluid in your reservoir.

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine seems that way lately as well, also 2k GTS. I have had a couple times where I had to slam it pretty hard. Will keep an eye on this post.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also it's strange that your transmission uses Dextron II. It's possibly an older trans, as my 2000 states on the case too specifically use the Castrol synthetic fluid and not anything else. As an FYI mine has been hard to shift lately as well, but I'm convinced it needs a slave fluid change.

Last edited:

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the service manual for my 98 GTS says to use Dexron III. Using most other lubricants will increase shift effort due to the higher viscosity. If it doesn't shift easily with Dexron II/III, then your clutch probably isn't releasing.

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a similar issue a year ago. It was due to a seeping clutch slave cylinder.

I run Mobil 1 synthetic atf and it made no difference in shifting over the Castrol syntorque. I have noticed more noise in certain gears but no neutral rattle.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm switching to Syntorque this winter because when I'm on the track my transmission runs at too higher temperatures for the stock mix.

OP
OP
G

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments, my GTS has a year old McLeod twin disc clutch and I will do some verification as recommended and get back with some feed back. I bought the car used three years ago and I do not know it has the original transmission that came with the car but I presume so. I still do not understand why it is stated to use DexronII on the transmsiion because as per the dealer it was the oil recommended on older Viper??

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is strange that it has that sticker, what's the build date on your car? Earlier Vipers used the Dextron. What's more interesting is your twin disc clutch. Aftermarket parts always open a whole new oppurtunity for problems.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aftermarket parts always open a whole new opportunity for problems.

THIS :hahaup:

So what's it like shifting with the engine off and the car in a stationary position, can you hear any grinding noises or clunking? :eater:
Have you drained the oil to see if there are any small metal particles in it?

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you have air in the system or a clutch gone south more than likely- tear it down and replace everything new- clutch and slave, cut flywheel

OP
OP
G

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In neutral the car shift ok. I charged the transmission oil and no major improvement. I have to test something else???

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Get Dex VI sythetic and check your clutch fluid, maybe even change it out. Go for a drive and report back. "

How long have you been using the Dex VI

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are numerous problems that can cause this. First off, Is the transmission hard to shift when the engine is off and you shift it through the gates?
I have corrected numerous issues like this, feel free to PM.