2001 GTS is getting frustrating. Please help before I sell it...

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is going to sound strange but try it...

Apply Sillicon Gel to all the weather striping.. Dont ask why, but it stopped my leaks..
smile.gif

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't let the dealer install new weather striping, because my doors never sealed the same after that. The car was taken back 3 times never really fixed it. The dealer said it had to mold into shape, what BS after 3 months still never fit right.

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The water leak is driving me insane (well, maybe I was already insane)...

Anyway, the leak seems to be coming from the door near the side mirror where it closes to the bottom of the A-pillar. It's leaking on both sides.

What are my options?
Unless it's back to Woodhouse (which is not practical this time of the year), I will not let a dealer repair my car. I don't want it to come back with 10 new problems. Maybe Bob will transport my car back?
laugh.gif

Are there better weather strips that I can put on?

Right now, it feels like a water-leaking POS!
pissed.gif
pissed.gif
pissed.gif

Please help...

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A local club member highly recommends a dealer, but I still am very very concerned about having my car anywhere near a dealership... Last time I let a dealer fix my C5, the whole engine was damaged as the result (after trying to fix the problem 3 times, I guess they decided to kill the car).

I had great experience with a body shop, would they be the right people to fix it? Or should I ask my trustworthy mechanic to give it a shot?

Personally, I almost would sell the car before considering to have it fix at a dealership. They are that horrible in my mind. Of course, I don't group Woodhouse as "a dealership".

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine leaks in the same place but only when I take it through the car wash. The silicon sounds like a good idea if it is leaking all the time. I expected the leaks when I bought it.

1. Its hand built.
2. Its a dodge.
3. Its American.
4. Its a dodge.
5. Its a dodge.

DONT SELL IT though.
frown.gif
The leaks give it character.

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some good dealers - it's a case by case basis. Do find out from local club members where they are. We are fortunate to have a downright GREAT one here in Austin (Maxwell). I absolutely wouldn't let anyone BUT Dave Weaver (viper tech) work on my car, so you see it can be different. Ask around, I'll bet you can find one.

And now for some good natured harrassment ... What the hell are you doing driving it in the rain anyway?
smile.gif
The viper gets all muddy and disgusting, bad traction and you're surrounded by psychotic knuckle dragging primates strapped to roller skates on ice!! When it rains I drive a Ford Focus ... It's an $8.00 car, Sheesh, who cares what happens to it. And furthermore, how bad can an itty-bitty-widdle leak be in a GTS? In my old RT the water used to lap in over the top of the windshield in great foaming swells. Every car's got it's little foibles ... unless of course you want the soulless perfection of japanese spacecraft gizmology. Enjoy the weather.

As we old RT owners always say - "Moist a$$, warm heart!"

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Lamont:
Mine leaks in the same place but only when I take it through the car wash.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please don't tell me you drive your car through an automatic car wash.

As an aside, David Weaver at Maxwell Dodge in Austin is the man.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AS FOR THE CARWASH.

Yes I do. Well, I did. I have a parts rack wing. The 3 painful days it took to install the thing - I am not going to lose it to a car wash.

As for the leak. I heard of someone waxing the seals as a way to help water stay out. Dont know if that would work.