2001 GTS out of Sweden ... I need your guys' thoughts ...

praha-sti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gents,

I'm eyeballing a 2001 GTS located in Sweden (I'm in the Czech Republic) ... maybe the previous owner is on this forum and can tell me more about it? I'm working on getting the VIN from the dealer now ...

55,000 EUR (about 60k USD) seems somewhat reasonable for the price, just curious if I can dig up any more info on before I decide to fly over and view/buy it or not.

Anything I can ask them to send me picture/video wise as well on the Gen IIs? I believe teh 2002s were already fixed from the factory on the sub-frame ... anything else?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood doesn't look very good - outer corners at the headlights, gaps at the door tops and rocker sills.
Console top is badly cracked at the rear of the passenger side. Could be from piling p- tang in the car. LOL!
Something looks odd to me about the airbag cover on the steering wheel. They may have been deployed, not replaced and the cover repaired to hide it.
Get that car on a lift with good lighting. I would recommend looking very carefully at the front frame rails (upper and lower) for signs of prior damage repair, missing bolts, overspray, etc.
Check the wishbone adjuster cams for unequal rotation at each corner and side-to-side across the car for signs of curb strikes or pothole impact.

Attachments

• 97 Right - begin a.jpg
    97 Right - begin a.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 97 Right - final a.jpg
    97 Right - final a.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
OP
praha-sti

praha-sti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd get the vin # and try and buy a vehicle history. Could be US total loss that was exported
They sent the VIN: 1B3ER69E21V701660
It was definitely a US car for a while and not directly sent to Europe. It's in Sweden but still has German papers (not registered in Sweden) ... I find it a bit sketch too. Since I'm not able to fly there, buy it, and drive it back ... I will probably skip on this one.

There is one more in Germany for a bit more (15k miles on it, so they say), but looks better and I should be able to buy it on my business without tax:

Appreciated the feedback gents!

Last edited:
OP
OP
praha-sti

praha-sti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood doesn't look very good - outer corners at the headlights, gaps at the door tops and rocker sills.
Console top is badly cracked at the rear of the passenger side. Could be from piling p- tang in the car. LOL!
Something looks odd to me about the airbag cover on the steering wheel. They may have been deployed, not replaced and the cover repaired to hide it.
Get that car on a lift with good lighting. I would recommend looking very carefully at the front frame rails (upper and lower) for signs of prior damage repair, missing bolts, overspray, etc.
Check the wishbone adjuster cams for unequal rotation at each corner and side-to-side across the car for signs of curb strikes or pothole impact.

Those wish **** shots look ok ... is there damage to be seen on them that I'm missing?

OP
OP
praha-sti

praha-sti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't spot the obvious, you get what you deserve.
I appreciate your enthusiasm ... but welds on the bottom of Vipers generally look sloppy to me. I guess in the photo one of them is supposed to be rotated/bent down? Hard to tell from the angle. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The adjuster cam orientation. Look for symmetry. If there is asymmetry, look for other clues about wrecks, or bent parts. The welds all look terrible because of flux-core MIG wire from the frame supplier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4