2001 Stereo upgrade

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Been thinking about doing this for a while now, but every time I decide to do it, I always stop myself because I haven't seen anyone who has actually done this before online.

All the 'how to's seem to have a different harness than I do... so I'll just go ahead and tell you what I have, and I want to know what you guys all did in order to get past this.

I have a din connector that comes out of the back of my alpine unit -> http://www.industrial-toolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/din-connector.jpg

This din connector connects directly to the amp in the trunk. If I wire up this din connector, to plug into the back of a regular aftermarket unit, will this be ok? I have the pinout from the back of my alpine stock unit... so that's easy enough... I just want to make sure it's ok to do this... I've heard people talk about 'shared ground' for the outputs... etc.... do I have to use the pre-outs from my deck to the amp, rather than the front\left speaker wires... as they aren't amplified?

Please shed some light... I'd like to do this, this summer. Thanks!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Short answer, Yes. I have this installed http://www.adflyer.co.uk/electronic...nc510-7-sat-nav-dvd-amfm-mp3-head-unit/108801

We had to get a female Din connector and match up the connections but it worked fine. The factory amp is not great but its good enough for my ears :) I was not confident enough to tackle this myself so I paid a radio installer to do it for me, but we have not cut any wires on the stock harness and I am using the factory amp :) One other thing we also did was to install a back up camera, this links up to the new Nav receiver :)

The guy came to my home and did all the work in my garage so no one got to play with my car ;)

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a complete replacement of all the components and all new wiring in my 2001 RT/10. Let me know if you'd like me to post up some of the pictures here in your thread. I did splice into the existing wiring for the ACC/ILL/BAT connections.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As other have said, it will work. I am currently running my factory amp with a kenwood headunit. I also have 2 alpine 500m mono amps each one running a 12 solo classic kicker. I used an alpine din cable i got off ebay. Spliced it into the headunit harness then plugged the other end into the cable in the dash. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPINE-8-PI...t=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eab96009d. This way I never cut the cable in the car. I can easily put it all back factory. But with that being said, I have already purchased a new alpine flip out. I am seriously condsidering doing away with the factory harness all together and replacing the stock amp with a more up to date model. I can hear some interference if the system is paused with the volume up a bit.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also if you desire to splice the din cable. I have the wiring written down somewhere in my garage. The cable is not a straight forward 8 wires in a rubber sleeve. There are small wires, large wires, and the casing wire just below the outer sheath is I think the remote wire. But It can be done.

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good to hear that this can be done with the factory amp. I prefer to leave it factory, as it's good enough for me... just want a better head unit, cause this one doesn't read CD's fast enough for my liking.... plus I want MP3.

So, the big question I guess is, which wires should I pass through the DIN cable to the factory amp? The pre-out's for left and right, or the actual left and right amplified wires from the new head unit?

Pre-out's being the ones pointed to: http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/preout1.jpeg

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll find that the speakers are probably the weakest link in the whole setup. Believe it or not, the amp, wiring and head unit are not all that bad. The speakers, however, are complete crap.

I just had new speakers and a new head unit installed in my GTS yesterday and the difference is AMAZING. I went with the JL Audio C2 series separates in the doors and the JL Audio C2 series coaxials in the rear hatch. However, we basically bypassed the tweeter in the rear and crossed them over at around 120 Hz so they are more like small subwoofers. I put the new Sony DSX-310BTX head unit in at the same time. It's really cool. http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666372151

Built in bluetooth, streams Pandora wirelessly, front USB which will play media/charge your iPhone, and has a "tune tray" behind the face plate so you can plug in your USB media/iPhone/iPod and keep it hidden behind the face plate with no wires hanging out.

Left all the factory wiring and used the factory Alpine amp. They're still tweaking the eq settings and tidying some things up today, but it was 99% finished last night when I went by. Just changing the speakers was a HUGE difference. But having iPod controls, blue tooth hands free calling, being able to stream wirelessly, etc was a nice bonus, especially in a $300 head unit.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you splice your din cable, (i recommend against cutting the factory one, cut the one you ordered and plugged into your factory one.) All connections are low level. You will need to splice rca ends to them. Black is ground pin 8,,, Bare grey casing is the remote wire pin 4,,, All 4 speaker grounds are shared this is the brown wire,,, Left rear is yellow,, left front is a little white wire,,, right rear is a little red wire,,,, and right front is the larger red wire.. Hope this helps.. jim

GTS Warp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ken, I'd like to see your pics of your install, especially the splices. I'm getting ready to install a Pioneer AVH-P5200DVD head unit with 2 BA amps in the back and Polk speakers all around. Stepping up to 6x9's in the back mounted in boxes.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you splice your din cable, (i recommend against cutting the factory one, cut the one you ordered and plugged into your factory one.) All connections are low level. You will need to splice rca ends to them. Black is ground pin 8,,, Bare grey casing is the remote wire pin 4,,, All 4 speaker grounds are shared this is the brown wire,,, Left rear is yellow,, left front is a little white wire,,, right rear is a little red wire,,,, and right front is the larger red wire.. Hope this helps.. jim

And I believe that's exactly what we did. The RCA low level converter gave the fronts a LOT more volume, as well.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I thought about starting a new thread, but this one is perfectly named...

I put in a new head unit, new door component speakers, a new subwoofer, a new amp and all new wiring in my 2001 RT/10. I have tons of pictures.

Sony DSXS300BTX Digital Media Receiver
Alpine Type-X SPX-17REF component speakers
JL AUDIO 6W3V3-4 - Car subwoofer driver - 6"
Alpine PDX F4 - Amplifier - 4-channel

I removed most of the interior...seats, knee blockers, front console, center console, rear bulkhead, door panels, driver side rear tire and wheel splash shield.
I kept all the OE wiring intact...just added new wiring everywhere. I ran the door speaker wiring in with the bundle that's already there. I did have to do some fabricating to the front door speaker mounts to get my speakers to fit. I had to increase the size of a hole that was in the top of the rear bulkhead so that all of the wiring could fit through it. The sub didn't have enough room, so I had a ring made that makes the sub protrude out of the rear bulkhead.
Here are some pictures...

I needed to keep the mounting brackets from the OE head unit so that I could install the new head unit...

You must be registered for see images

I tapped (using posi-taps) these wires in the factory harness for my new head unit...

I ran the new wiring from the new head unit under the front and center consoles...

...and up under the rear bulkhead...

...through the wheel well area...

...and into the trunk...

The component speakers installed in the door panels...

The new wiring for the component speakers running through the door wiring bundle...

The new subwoofer ring so that the deeper subwoofer can be installled...

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I see you went with the 6.5 inches up front. Do you have any pics of them installed. Or can you post some. I am currently looking and i was going to order the c2's as well but 6inch. Did yours install with no problems, like passenger door/dash clearence. Do they mount counter sunk in the same holes or sit on top? And one more question, would they sound better if amped with a bigger, newer amp? Im just asking becuase i currently have a new deck and made a custom sub box so now im looking at dooring my door speakers.
Thanks, and sorry for hijacking

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, I thought about starting a new thread, but this one is perfectly named...

I put in a new head unit, new door component speakers, a new subwoofer, a new amp and all new wiring in my 2001 RT/10. I have tons of pictures.

Sony DSXS300BTX Digital Media Receiver
Alpine Type-X SPX-17REF component speakers
JL AUDIO 6W3V3-4 - Car subwoofer driver - 6"
Alpine PDX F4 - Amplifier - 4-channel

I removed most of the interior...seats, knee blockers, front console, center console, rear bulkhead, door panels, driver side rear tire and wheel splash shield.
I kept all the OE wiring intact...just added new wiring everywhere. I ran the door speaker wiring in with the bundle that's already there. I did have to do some fabricating to the front door speaker mounts to get my speakers to fit. I had to increase the size of a hole that was in the top of the rear bulkhead so that all of the wiring could fit through it. The sub didn't have enough room, so I had a ring made that makes the sub protrude out of the rear bulkhead.
Here are some pictures...
LifeIsGood,
Thanks for posting this! I'm no audiophile, I didn't even know that cable was called a din cable till I started reading these stereo threads. I've been wondering what to use on an RT10 and keep it as stock as possible. I may hit you with some questions down the line when I get into this.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought one of the DIN plugs listed in this thread, using the part # specified, from Mouser Electronics, but it only has 5 pins. The one on my car has eight. How does the 5 pin get wired to make it work?

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i approached the head unit upgrade in a way to get decent bass + mp3/usb connections without alot of wiring changes..... what i did was buy an 8 pin female din & some male rca's off ebay (rca's because HU had sub controls thru rca's only) & soldered it up like the attached pics based on pinout's on the old HU - simple. Tied in my power connections for the HU like the above post pics. For the HU, i got an alpine cde-123 & for bass out back a rockford mono-300 with two sub JL 6w3's (to keep it somewhat stock look & not alot of cost). Sounds awesome!!

I reused the oem 4 channel amp & front door speakers without alot of wiring or disassembly of the car for the cost of a home made din jumper, HU, mono amp & 2 - 6" subwoofers.

Attachments

• P1020574.jpg
    P1020574.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 317
  • P1020575.jpg
    P1020575.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 264
  • P1020577.jpg
    P1020577.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 261
  • P1020579.jpg
    P1020579.jpg