2001engine noise

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all, anyone else out there have engine noise, i took mine into the dealer several times now showing just past 500 miles they yanked the motor and sent it to arrow. It had what appeared to my ear as valvetrain noise like a misadjusted rocker but on a hydrolic lifter car can,t be so they checked stem height on the valves all fine and checked spring height all fine, seemed to be coming from the drivers bank last couple of cylinders. but it is disheartning to see the old girl with a hole under the hood with nothing to look at, worst part is i,m in North Dakota where the season for driving is short and they said it would be laid up for 6-8wks.So for now i will have to live my viper dreams through all of you. Jerry

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 with 500 miles and they yanked out your engine????
wow!!! must of first killed you see the baby torn up..
second must have been some major noise to do that type of major job!!!
Not rubbing it in... by my 2001 with 3000 miles(knock on wood) purrs!! no noises
thank god!!!!

hope you get her back soon...
smile.gif

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get a high pitch sound in between shifts. Is this what you are talking about? It almost sounds like a rice-rider. I figured this was normal because this is my first Snake.

Is this normal?

OP
OP
N

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is the fourth viper i have owned and none of the previous
cars made any noises like this one had from the first time i drove it, it had this noise just like rockers ticking very loud i noticed it most at idle and 1-3gear cruising if you brought the rpm up past 2500 it couldn,t be heard over the exhaust so i brought it in they changed oil and ran it for 30min at idle monitoring oil pressure and it had good oil pressure without dropping but the noise actually got louder after i took it home and put 50miles on it so i took it back and they pulled the valve covers and could find nothing wrong, so at there recomedation from chrysler was to pull the motor and send it to arrow. this wasn,t like the previous nuetral gear rattle which i have become a custom to inhearant to vipers but actually could be heard with a steathoscope in the last cylinders on the drivers side. I,m not happy they pulled my motor and sure hoped they didn,t. but i,d rather not blow a motor and risk being blamed for a problem that,s been there since day one. Jerry

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really hope that there is something amiss with your car after all this. But it may have all been normal. Compared to my former '94 & '96, my current 2000 GTS seems to have louder valve type sounds. (Even with the Snake-Oyl pipes out back) I was originally concerned, until reading on this board that the 2000 and up cars are actually quieter than the previous models, and that hearing the valves, etc, is normal.

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ndvipergtsr-

wow! I hope all goes well. And I hope I am hearing things. I have a service appointment scheduled for next Tuesday August 14, 2001. I will find out what is going on then. Glad you posted this! Thanks,

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jerry,
for the price we pay for these cars i am very surprised dodge
didn't just "buy it back" and give you another car!!!!!
especially seeing that your a repeat viper owner!!!
was this idea ever brought up?
jim
smile.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry,
did Dodge ever consider "buying back" your car?
was this ever brought up? seeing what you paid for the car!!!
Also because you have purchased vipers before you would think
that taking it back for a new one with out defects would be the most reasonable solution!!
again considering the cost of the car and the "hand made" concept involved here I would have pressed for a new one free from defect!!!

JIM
smile.gif

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree that a great solution would be to have a new Viper replaced, rather than an engine overhauled, or some other mnajor repair. But bear in mind that it's a one way trip from the factory, and that "free from defects" is not likely on almost any new car. I would love to see some new info on this "valve" noise...but again, I do remember more than one post about this being normal in 2000 and up cars.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this noise a sort of light ticking noise? I drove the new VA Beach area viper guy's 00 because he thought he heard a sound, and wanted a second opinion - I heard a light ticking, didn't sound like my car, didn't know if that's something easier to hear on an 00 versus a 98, is a result of different engine characteristics, or if there is a possible problem for him?