2002 Viper Brake Rotors Have Rust

PJS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just Washed My 2002 Viper Today For The First Time And Noticed Rust On The Rotors A Couple Of Hours Later. Is that Normal? How Can I Prevent That.

I Do Keep The Viper In A Climate Control Garage.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Drive it. Normal with any car....</FONT f>

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rust on the rotors can be serious. If you let it sit long enough the entire rotor will rust away into a pile of red dust. Try jacking the car up and have someone apply the brakes while you turn the wheel by hand. This procedure can be done without removing the car cover. Do not drive the car. This may remove the rust but safe operation of the Viper will require the removal of the car from the climate controlled garage and probably the removal of the car cover. This will not only allow outside, unfiltered, air to contact the car but may cause fading of the paint when sunlight strikes the car. Be careful.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common Joe. Cut the
newbie[1].gif
a break.

P.S. - <FONT size="-2">Funny though...</FONT s>

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Drive the car a couple of miles normally. When you get back home look for the rust again. If its still there you have a problem, if not, you're fine.

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normal on many cars! Exposure to damp conditions will generate rust on most metals. Go around the block and apply the brakes a few times to see how much rust comes off.

The same thing happens on two of my cars, but quickly disappears after the pads rub the surface a few times.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I was a little quick to make fun. At least I didn't tell him to grease the rotors....Dang, there I go again.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joe117:
Rust on the rotors can be serious. If you let it sit long enough the entire rotor will rust away ................[snip]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a moment I thought this was a new process of removing rust.
smile.gif
very amusing Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte