2003 Gen 3 Viper Won’t Start.

Daniel Homan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2003 Gen 3 Viper that I can not get started. The problem occurred when I washed it causing a check engine light come on. I drove it home and shut it off and started it a couple time trying to get the light to go away. I eventually removed the ground cable from the battery in the attempt to clear the light. That’s when it will not start now. The battery has 13.3 volts, gauges light up, but as soon as the start button is pressed the radio goes off and the starter doesn’t engage. I’ve by passed the start relay with the key on and the engine only cranks but never starts. I’ve also removed all fuses and verified they are good before putting them back in.

Any help would be very appreciated!!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a ground or battery issue. You say you drove it home,
did you wash it at an automatic carwash? Its possible you got water
somewhere thats creating an electrical bypass - how long has it been?
Maybe give it a few hours to dry out? Im sorry i cant be more helpful.

OP
OP
Daniel Homan

Daniel Homan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Bonkers,

I was thinking ground issue also. I’ve check all the ground wires on the frame and verified their connection also...I’m sure it’s not all of them.

I did drive it home from the car wash with the check engine light on. That was two weeks ago. The engine was still starting at that time until I removed the battery cables. Now nothing . I’ve tried additional ground cables and jumping the battery without any more results.

Thank you and I do appreciate any ideas or help.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen where some Gen III PCM’s are cracked and water had gotten in. Although there are a lot more issues than just a check engine light, also included a bunch of codes, seemingly non related... just a thought. Also seen it happen with water in the pcm plugs

Shaggy

Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hello Bonkers,

I was thinking ground issue also. I’ve check all the ground wires on the frame and verified their connection also...I’m sure it’s not all of them.

I did drive it home from the car wash with the check engine light on. That was two weeks ago. The engine was still starting at that time until I removed the battery cables. Now nothing . I’ve tried additional ground cables and jumping the battery without any more results.

Thank you and I do appreciate any ideas or help.

Get it figured out?