2003 SRT-10s not selling good?

PJS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saw an ad in my local news paper that a local Dodge dealer was discounting brand new 2003 Vipers 10,000 of the $83,900 MSRP.

Never seen one in person so I went there and sure enough, brand new in the show room floor sat one red 2003 SRT-10.

I thought all 2003s were pre sold, that one on the window sticker was invoiced to the dealership and not an individual. I'm confused now.

Took my wife and kids there and they all said I would be crazy to trade in my yellow 2002 RT/10.

My 2 cents worth on the car, it was nice but did not have the awesome mean look that an earlier Viper has, it looks more lioke a luxury car now then a muscle car.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they sold well. I just think a lot of people had trouble paying for it.......economy ect,,,,,, look at how many are in the classifieds.......

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$10K off the sticker price would make it a loss for the dealer. Didn't you ask what the final price was? There's always a catch!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unsold production units were re-allocated to dealers that had moved several "sold orders" during the model year. My dealer got a black one on open MSO about a week and a half ago.

PS - there's a big difference between "dealer invoice" and actual "dealer cost."

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny PJS, I just had my SRT at a car show yesterday (over 1000 cars) and my SRT won the award for the "Best Sports Car". I never won with my RT or my GTS - not to say I don't love the design of those two but the SRT is one mean looking car, and as for the performance there is no comparison between this car and the gen 1 & 2 cars - this car is awesome!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is a sleeper. I believe in time this car will be in very high demand, and the price will increase. I can't see why not. There are a lot of people out there that never really know what they have, they sell the SRT after a few months or less. These folks are the ones that drive the price down by flooding the market with the car. They just are not in to cars like they think they are. This car will be a hard one to replace. Right now there is now car on earth that has the appeal, this car has. Thats says a lot to me. And if people knew what all DC did in designing this car, they would really love it. And of course it's not a practical car in so many ways.

OP
OP
P

PJS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I'm not knocking the SRT-10 at all. I love the car myself. I was just saying that alot of people around here don t think much about the new design. I love that it is a true convertible and that you have a top you can put up in case of rain also i here the performance is unreal.

The biggest problem them not selling is the current condition of the economy, I am in sales so i do see the slow slump on high dollar items, toys..

OP
OP
P

PJS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny PJS, I just had my SRT at a car show yesterday (over 1000 cars) and my SRT won the award for the "Best Sports Car". I never won with my RT or my GTS - not to say I don't love the design of those two but the SRT is one mean looking car, and as for the performance there is no comparison between this car and the gen 1 & 2 cars - this car is awesome!

That is just your opinion, the looks on the O2 Vipers kill the O3s

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you would have entered your RT/10 or GTS you would have won. I just recently went to a state-wide corvette rally and a 2003 Viper showed up along with mine guess which one everyone drooled over? You got it the GTS! They were parked side-by-side with the hoods popped. The SRT-10 is the red-headed step child of the Viper family until they build a Competion Coupe. :p

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe, but the SRT is pure sex in my book. Some like their rides voluptuous, others prefer athletic. Now the Viper line has cars to satisfy both. :)

I see this as a maturation of the Viper brand. We had the V1 and the V2, and now the V3 (to borrow the corvette parlance). I'm glad that Dodge decided to make a distinct break stylistically instead of just upgrading the engine and suspension, etc. Viper owners tend to look down on the 'vette boys, but the mystique and tradition of the corvette is something that will come to the Viper line inevitably with time. History might show the V3 to be the least popular of the Vipers, or as the owner base grows with the brand it may prove to be more popular than the RT/10. But the point is that with the release of the SRT Dodge has encouraged a more diverse owner base than before. Instead of just guys who want to be stared at as they putter down the street in their mobile penises (with a 900hp dyno graph under the seat), now we get to add performance enthusiasts to the community ;) .

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2003 SRT-10s not selling good?

Not to stir the ***, but I recently had my SRT in a show with numerous Corvettes and a yellow GTS with silver stripes - all in the same class (also a brand-new T-Bird with all the tags still hanging off the radio, etc.). I am looking at my "Best of Class" trophy as I type, as judged by other car owners. Both are beautiful cars and I would favor the GTS in terms of "exotic" looks. I tend to favor the SRT over the RT, but then I own an SRT so you had to expect that... ;)

And although I don't necessarily agree, I hear "I like this style SO much better than the old Viper" almost everytime I drive it. Perhaps it (the Gen I/II) is too audacious for some. Regardless, the Viper name is very well represented - just in case you haven't been reading any magazines lately...

You must be registered for see images

Of course some folks worry about looks alone, but others prefer a solid overall package. I would say the SRT lives up quite nicely.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to stir the ***, but I recently had my SRT in a show with numerous Corvettes and a yellow GTS with silver stripes - all in the same class (also a brand-new T-Bird with all the tags still hanging off the radio, etc.). I am looking at my "Best of Class" trophy as I type, as judged by other car owners. Both are beautiful cars and I would favor the GTS in terms of "exotic" looks. I tend to favor the SRT over the RT, but then I own an SRT so you had to expect that... ;)
Hey Chris your the man!!! Keep the awesome pictures coming.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe, but the SRT is pure sex in my book. Some like their rides voluptuous, others prefer athletic. Now the Viper line has cars to satisfy both. :)

I see this as a maturation of the Viper brand. We had the V1 and the V2, and now the V3 (to borrow the corvette parlance). I'm glad that Dodge decided to make a distinct break stylistically instead of just upgrading the engine and suspension, etc. Viper owners tend to look down on the 'vette boys, but the mystique and tradition of the corvette is something that will come to the Viper line inevitably with time. History might show the V3 to be the least popular of the Vipers, or as the owner base grows with the brand it may prove to be more popular than the RT/10. But the point is that with the release of the SRT Dodge has encouraged a more diverse owner base than before. Instead of just guys who want to be stared at as they putter down the street in their mobile penises (with a 900hp dyno graph under the seat), now we get to add performance enthusiasts to the community ;) .
Mobile penises??? That was frickin hillarious. :laugh: One quick question if the srt-10 is such a performance machine why don't we see convertibles on the racing circuit? A convertible will never be considered as a performance machine just a cruiser. The hardtop/coupe is the performance machine.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about ******* cars being "just a cruiser" All the highest performance race cars are "*******" Formula 1, Panoz, Prototypes, etc.

But to be more realistic, when Dodge builds a coupe on the SRT chassis I expect the performance level to be raised to the next level. (Sorry I did not mention NASCAR, but don't call them sports cars).

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can add top fuel, indy car and many others. Now I don't think I would call any of those convertibles. However, none are hardtops or coupes. The SRT lacks a roll bar for racing purposes. Course that is lacking on a GTS as well!

And just to bruise the GTS guys some I think the RT/10 is the better looking of the 2. And without the RT/10 the GTS would never have existed. As I remember the Corvette did not have a hardtop for several years either.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PJS - it is not just my opinion - it was the opinion of the judges at the car show. Like I mentioned I love the looks of the GTS & the Rt but keep in mind I had both my GTS and RT in several shows and NEVER won any awards. This was the first show I had the SRT in and I'm looking at the first place award right now... :smirk:

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are too many dynamics at work between all three generations of the viper. IMO, there are unique characteristics that make each generation special in it's own way. I've been following the viper since it's inception, but never bought one until the SRT. The refinements, overall performance package and the fact it's a true rag top motivated me to pull the trigger. I remain a big GTS fan - styling & muscle car look along w/unique paint schemes & grit performance makes the car very attractive. The SRT polished some rough edges and is a more balanced car - not for everyone, but defintely got me excited. I am sold on the car, will own it for many years to come (actually, planning to buy my wife a yellow SRT when it becomes available).

JM

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can add top fuel, indy car and many others. Now I don't think I would call any of those convertibles. However, none are hardtops or coupes. The SRT lacks a roll bar for racing purposes. Course that is lacking on a GTS as well!

And just to bruise the GTS guys some I think the RT/10 is the better looking of the 2. And without the RT/10 the GTS would never have existed. As I remember the Corvette did not have a hardtop for several years either.
Why does the GTS bring a huge premium over the RT/10 then year for year? I don't want to start a fight here there is no such as a bad Viper. :cool:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Re: 2003 SRT-10s not selling good?

And although I don't necessarily agree, I hear "I like this style SO much better than the old Viper" almost everytime I drive it. Perhaps it (the Gen I/II) is too audacious for some. Regardless, the Viper name is very well represented - just in case you haven't been reading any magazines lately...

Of course some folks worry about looks alone, but others prefer a solid overall package. I would say the SRT lives up quite nicely.

I would not brag about beating a YELLOW GTS W/ SILVER STRIPES! :rolleyes:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Sorry about ******* cars being "just a cruiser" All the highest performance race cars are "*******" Formula 1, Panoz, Prototypes, etc.

But to be more realistic, when Dodge builds a coupe on the SRT chassis I expect the performance level to be raised to the next level. (Sorry I did not mention NASCAR, but don't call them sports cars).

Seems to me I recall the Bentley COUPES (even though they were penalized with narrower tires) finishing 1 & 2 in the Prototype class at the ultimate sports car race at Le Mans this year...beating all the ******* Prototypes including the Audis with the same engine! :eek: ....enough said! :D

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Devildog:Thanks I was wondering when some GTS brothers were going to get my back.

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PJS,

I sent you a private email several days ago looking for the dealer's number. I have someone interested in this offer. Please provide me with the number publicly or privately, lest I start to wonder if such a deal actually exists.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte