2004, 20,000 miles in one day?? need help ECU?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Guys & Gal(s)...we are trying to help a fellow Viper owner here who has a problem with potentially serious implications...we are NOT trying to pit one member against another, just attempting to tap the collective wisdom and experience for the purpose of offering decent, constructive approaches to this situation.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to be corrected when I'm wrong. In fact, I'm probably more likely to remember the "wrongs" and therefore avoid the same mistake later. :)

To that end, and realizing the complexity of these systems, I would suggest that "sssikvipe" contact the VCA President in his/her locale for assistance. Our Region rallies around fellow owners, be they VCA members or not...and, generally, things work out well for ALL concerned !!!

"sssikvipe", feel free to call me if you like for a longer, more specific version.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we are NOT trying to pit one member against another,
That was never my intention Steve. I started off saying "No Offense" and I meant that.

Tom Sessions, is one of the top Viper Tech's in the Country, I've never known him to be wrong about a Viper Issue...

Maybe Marc is right, but either way the OP has a problem that occurred at a dealership. Before any odometer discrepancy reporting happens to a state agency, he needs help immediately to get the mileage corrected.

I recently sold my 06 Lexus thru Craigs List. The young couple who bought it. Changed the digital mileage to 38,000 miles when it actually had 93,000 when I sold it!

They sold it to an unsuspecting person for more money, who would have never known if the tags had been paid. When the tags never came in the mail, they filed suit against us for the back fee's.

I hated having to call the guy and tell him about the scam. I've been told it takes less than 5 minutes & $300 to change a digital mileage :omg:

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well no offence takin when SSS has his car fixed he might let us all know what the out come was. Tom I have done alot of electrical/pcm updates and replacement on these cars,Just speaking from experience,Not trying to step on anyone just giving my knowlege working on these vehicles.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I know that we are all friends here...just trying to solve a problem!!! With that in mind, I must ADMIT to one and all that my statement taken from the 2004 Service Manual "update the MILEAGE and vehicle identification number(VIN) in the new PCM. Use the DRB III..." DID NOT answer the issue, and is, therefore, an incorrect answer...THANK YOU MarcRoth for correcting ME!!!
While the statement may be true, it is not all that simple.

After talking further with good friend Tom Sessions, I began to wade through STACKS of other Viper Manuals...and, from a Gen III Viper Tech training manual ( "Student Reference Manual"), I found an interesting bit of info...only part of which I'll share here: "Odometer mileage is stored in the non-volatile memory in BCM...". Needless to say, as both Tom and Marc have pointed out, it's COMPLEX...which I'm sure is to protect us all from possible "tampering".

By the way, "sssikvipe", Tom Sessions asked me if your car could somehow be reading "kilometers" now instead of "miles"??? Great thought, as we all have seen cars where one can select either/or...but I'm NOT sure about a Viper...and, I'm not guessing any more in THIS thread!! :)

So, once again, THANKS to all for their help!!!

Sure hope we see a good resolution posted by "sssikvipe" !!!

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My RT has 80,000 miles.

Any chance that, if I plug the monitor in backwards, that it will take off 70,000 miles?

Just askin'. :lmao:

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that is where the "safe zone " comes to play . When getting a new Bcm You have to verify the milage to the parts dept and when they order the Bcm the factory or supplier with put in the info, Cannot be done with the five star scanner in the shop. Marc

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for your opinions and advice. Whether some is correct or not, its FREE :) advice, knowledge, and experience, and for that I am truly grateful. My car is in Florida right now while I am in Toronto. My next flight down to vacation is for Thanksgiving. The dealership's manager was supposed to check with Head Ofice for assistance, and I will be very happy to let you know what they did, and how they did it. The one thing they offered to me last time was to make all notes in their systems, etc, noting that the mileage is overstated on the odometer, but that didnt please me. So thats why they said they want the car for 2 days, my concern is that they weren't willing to accept the cost until they talk to H.O......we'll see!

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A VERY HAPPY ENDING.........I took the car to the dealership, and ONLY because of the FREE advice you all provided, I was able to talk intelligently about what may have happened when "they fixed my window". In the end, they ordered me a new BCM with the correct mileage; they think that H.O messed up and sent the wrong one. All at no charge. A very nice Christmas present that you all contributed to. BTW, special thx to MarcRoth, you were bang on and the nameless(pm'd) Canadian friend, and nameless(pm'd) Michigan friend for their help

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you could bring your car up next summer and come to some events with us. Or just buy another one....

Garrett

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
another one??? absolutely!!!!!!!!!thinking about 2012-13. Bring it on mopar!

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if not the SRT, I still own my first car, a 67 rssss camaro vert.....???

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saw this thread, and I had a similar thing happen to the 06 I had, I took it to the dealer for a window problem, they replaced the BCM and when I left the car had less miles than when I went in, not as dramatic as the one posted here, only 600 miles difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96