2004, 20,000 miles in one day?? need help ECU?

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am the happy owner of a 2004 SRT that I bought new. But I've just had my first major issue. At 22,000 miles, my power window stopped working. I took it to a Dodge dealer and they told me that I needed a new acuator, so they ordered and replaced, all fixed. I never really took notice, but the next day, Saturday afternoon, I noticed that my mileage was over 40,000 miles. I called the dealer on Monday and told them,everything is documented on their work order as 22,000, they said bring the car in. They dont know how it happened, and they say what they repaired could not have possibly caused my odometer to malfunction. They say it might be my ECU but they will need a minimum one day with my car, and possibly two, and it wont be under warranty, sounds very $$$$. Has anyone had this happen to them and can offer advice? thanks for any assistance

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, that is odd and i can only imagine the look on your face when you looked down and saw the 40,000:omg:

computers these days...

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dommer, I'm tempted to do that but not sure where the damn thing is in the car!!

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes i told them that, but of course, the typical "wasn't me!!"

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If I were faced with your situation, I would promptly return to said dealership, insist on full and accurate wording on the service form... describing your situation in full...then, ask the tech to connect your Viper to the scan tool, try to program the documentrd "correct" mileage into the PCM. Seems like this would be worth a try...dealer should have no problem with trying this if their records support your observation. If that fails, they can install a new PCM for you.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever you do, do NOT wait too long to get to an agreement. Eveyday that goes by is one day longer that you "could" have added mileage and the less your story will hold up. :(

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well first of the mileage is stored in the Bcm Not the Pcm.Replacing the Pcm wont do nothing..

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sssik

It may be a great time to join the VCA.

VCA membership has it's perks... Being a member you can post a question directly to the SRT engineers, in the Grail Trail. IF anyone knows the answer to your problems, it's an SRT engineer.

It's a pretty cheap consultation even at the Venom price of $150.00 compared to the price of a PCM.

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, and yes, membership has its benefits! When I join, I promise I will not be like alot of the members who are hung up on their vehicles as if owning a Viper is THE only car...i believe all cars are works of art, some faster, some prettier, some more costlier, some better as rag tops etc etc.

OneShot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance and paranoia, but could your "BCM" have been switched with another higher mileage Viper at the dealership?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, and yes, membership has its benefits! When I join, I promise I will not be like alot of the members who are hung up on their vehicles as if owning a Viper is THE only car...i believe all cars are works of art, some faster, some prettier, some more costlier, some better as rag tops etc etc.

In that case, don't join....you won't fit in.

:D:D:D:D

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
MacRoth said: "Well first of the mileage is stored in the Bcm Not the Pcm.Replacing the Pcm wont do nothing.."

Guys, help me here as my brain is old...deals casually with 4 Gen's of Vipers...but, yes, my hipshot was to say that the PCM on Gen III Viper stored the mileage ...but, after MacRoth's post, I decided to look up the answer (sorry to say, our Gen III is off site today, so I can't attach a DRB III to it to find out)...

BUT, the 2004 Viper Service Manual says: "If the PCM is replaced of usage, update the mileage and vehicle identification number(VIN) in the new PCM. Use the DRB III..."

Anyone else have other info??

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx V-Tony, but someone has to stick up for the Viper wanna-bees! Hey Steve, I think you are on to something there.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Marc....does that mean that you feel this statement from the 2004 Viper Service Manual is in error; "update the MILEAGE and vehicle identification number(VIN) in the new PCM. Use the DRB III..." ???

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting hypothesis by OneShot, but is it possible the the dealer could switch the BCM? Is it not somehow programed/ID'd with the VIN, making it impossible?

If they are not willing to correct the situation, I would contact:

- Your Chrysler Zone Customer Service Office
- Better Business Bureau
- Attorneys General Office
- Preliminary discussion with a lawyer

Tell your dealer that you are doing the above...if they are not helpful.

Make sure you have the "incoming" work order with the correct - 20,000 miles - recorded on it. If there is something shady going on, they will certainly want to cover their tracks by changing all work orders - incoming and completed.

Agree with above, DO NOT WAIT, as every day that goes by will weaken your claim.

Good luck.

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it was an error, When we have changed out the Bcm We have to have milage and a vin to register it to the car, The only thing needed for a Pcm is to load the vin from the car at the shop.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing the BCM will not change the miles on the odometer. When you install a new PCM you do install the VIN # and do what is called a SRI memory check this will ask you to verify the miles on the dash and will give a 50 mile varience.( does the car have between 500 and 550 miles) which you answer yes or no. You can adjust the miles in the PCM but this will not change the miles on the dash. Big Brother has the dash locked down fairly tight as to try and prevent milage fraud. Just as once a VIN is installed in a PCM we at the dealer cant change it to another vin without sending it out to a auth repair facility.

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Tom You are wrong sir. milage is infact stored in the Bcm. Not in the cluster or Pcm. Dont want to get into a ******* contest but have worked on to many Vipers to know.

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This would **** major. I hope you get it fixed soon. Bet the dealer woulldnt help a bit even if they knew they were at fault

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you know more then I do so good luck.
Tell me it's not true Tom...

No offense Marc, but Tom is a very well known experienced Viper tech. One of the best for many years on the right coast...

When I wanted to do a specific mod never done before to any Viper, the VCA head honchos said I should talk to Tom. I find it really hard to believe he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Tom,

What did you do to make Chad's look like it has so many miles on it? :)

Chad's Viper has a ******* forwarding time machine inside... Every time Chad visits a *******, his Viper loses some of it's youth meter.

It's a rough life but someone has to do it...

Might as well be Chad & his McViper...

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell me it's not true Tom...

No offense Marc, but Tom is a very well known experienced Viper tech. One of the best for many years on the right coast...

When I wanted to do a specific mod never done before to any Viper, the VCA head honchos said I should talk to Tom. I find it really hard to believe he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Thanks Kala, I learned a long time ago not to argue with some techs. Its not worth it.
Are you coming to Pahrump this weekend? Stop by if you do I'll be with the #10 ACRX

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying...

My DD H2 is awaiting a new passenger glass. They said they could be here @ 8 AM. If so I may just take a run up there! I need a Viper racing fix...

IF not, good luck to you & #10! Reppin for a woman driver... Awesome :headbang:
Wishing your team the best of luck :firedev: