2005 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Not starting after going into dash

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2005 Dodge Viper SRT-10
Previous owner removed TPS sensors from wheels. So, I went into dash to disable TPMS module to see if the Low Tire warning message could be removed. (it could not)

I reassembled everything and when I try to start the car...ignition on, fuel pump on, gauges power up, push clutch all the way, push start button.....nothing.

Here's the diagnosis and tests I've done....

No engine codes
Battery is fine output 12.6 volts
Ignition works, fuel pump, gauges power up
Clutch Pedal Position Switch has connectivity from push start button connector
Starter Relay tested and works
Relay Circuit tested and works
Starter solenoid tested at PDC and engine cranks, starts and runs. (I'm bypassing ignition and clutch switch and push button)
Start button has connectivity when pushed. (Removed from vehicle)

I'm running out of options and it is nearly impossible to see further into the dash to see if there are opens or shorts, loose, exposed wires etc.

ANY OTHER IDEAS TO TRY?
Should I disable the clutch Pedal Switch?
Should I disable the clutch interlock/up stop switch?

Thanks in advance.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Look at ASD 1 fuse...can swap with lighter. Common unexpected issue with Gen III's. If this is it, easy fix...noting that it would likely be a coincidence and not a consequence of your exploratory dash experience.
You can also swap ASD relay with another unnecessary system relay as a second step.

If you find cause, please post.

OP
OP
Mamba_153

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks working on her right now I’ll swap out and see. I’ll post results.

Attachments

• A58DD626-5A15-4EDF-80F8-E7E2EDDD7B82.jpeg
    A58DD626-5A15-4EDF-80F8-E7E2EDDD7B82.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Mamba_153

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh! This ASD 25A fuse! I’ll try it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 4

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Assuming that all was well before you explored the TPM, it seems to me that "something is not hooked up"...or, is not making complete contact. I have seen connectors that did not fully lock on our 03 after a behind-the-dash procedure...i.e. airbag module replacement.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, my first guess as well was something not being fully connected or plugged in at all. I don't think you'd need every module connected for the car to start, but in the modern world of controller based vehicles, there is a network running through everything and having a break in that network somewhere would certainly cause problems. I would expect it would shown a code on the dash or exhibited some very obvious issues if the BCM wasn't able to talk on the bus though. Things like interior lights not working or even door handles most likely. Have you tested other interior features like the blower motor, windows, etc.? Just helps to rule stuff out if nothing else.

OP
OP
Mamba_153

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reread you post:

Have you tried to jump clutch safety switch?
I haven't by-passed it yet. I tested the clutch safety switch. It has connectivity to the starter button and tested it in operation and it works.

OP
OP
Mamba_153

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, my first guess as well was something not being fully connected or plugged in at all. I don't think you'd need every module connected for the car to start, but in the modern world of controller based vehicles, there is a network running through everything and having a break in that network somewhere would certainly cause problems. I would expect it would shown a code on the dash or exhibited some very obvious issues if the BCM wasn't able to talk on the bus though. Things like interior lights not working or even door handles most likely. Have you tested other interior features like the blower motor, windows, etc.? Just helps to rule stuff out if nothing else.
Ah I haven't tested windows or blower. The door locks, interior lights all work. I'll test other systems too. I haven't gone to the BCM yet, I think I'll be working that way next. I removed the radio so I could see the wiring behind, no obvious issues. I did not remove the radio when I went to the TMPS, but just wanted to see if something looked odd.

OP
OP
Mamba_153

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming that all was well before you explored the TPM, it seems to me that "something is not hooked up"...or, is not making complete contact. I have seen connectors that did not fully lock on our 03 after a behind-the-dash procedure...i.e. airbag module replacement.
I check all connections again. It appears the Start button, TPMS, Gauges, BCM, and airbag control are all independent, but maybe the TPMS switch is not permitting the start button to connect to PDC. HUmm. I'll check and maybe bypass the TPMS to test.

OP
OP
Mamba_153

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears the Start button, TPMS, Gauge
You must be registered for see images attach
s, BCM, and airbag control are all independent, but maybe the TPMS switch is not permitting the start button to connect to PDC.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Also, off topic to some degree, but you can buy TPMS sensors that you can clone IDs into to match your OEM ones so you don't have to reprogram the module in the car. I have a set of race rims and street rims and have cloned sensors in both now. Originally just had them in the race rims, but the street set finally ran out of battery, so I bought another set. Dorman makes the sensors and the programmer. They can be a little quirky sometimes, but I've had them for years now and once I finally got them going they've been working well. Lets you keep the TPMS functionality without having to fiddle with things too much. Could be another option for you.

OP
OP
Mamba_153

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, off topic to some degree, but you can buy TPMS sensors that you can clone IDs into to match your OEM ones so you don't have to reprogram the module in the car. I have a set of race rims and street rims and have cloned sensors in both now. Originally just had them in the race rims, but the street set finally ran out of battery, so I bought another set. Dorman makes the sensors and the programmer. They can be a little quirky sometimes, but I've had them for years now and once I finally got them going they've been working well. Lets you keep the TPMS functionality without having to fiddle with things too much. Could be another option for you.
Excellent idea. Once I solve the wiring disconnect, I'll get some dorman sensors and programmer. Thanks!

OP
OP
Mamba_153

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't found the "loose wire" yet. Bypassing clutch switch didn't change anything. I can start the engine using the starter solenoid test, no engine lights etc. Now, I'm going to create a new circuit from push button start, clutch switch to PDC and see if it starts. I bet it will. If so, I'll re-do the wiring harness. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Mamba_153

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2005 Dodge Viper SRT-10
Previous owner removed TPS sensors from wheels. So, I went into dash to disable TPMS module to see if the Low Tire warning message could be removed. (it could not)

I reassembled everything and when I try to start the car...ignition on, fuel pump on, gauges power up, push clutch all the way, push start button.....nothing.

Here's the diagnosis and tests I've done....

No engine codes
Battery is fine output 12.6 volts
Ignition works, fuel pump, gauges power up
Clutch Pedal Position Switch has connectivity from push start button connector
Starter Relay tested and works
Relay Circuit tested and works
Starter solenoid tested at PDC and engine cranks, starts and runs. (I'm bypassing ignition and clutch switch and push button)
Start button has connectivity when pushed. (Removed from vehicle)

I'm running out of options and it is nearly impossible to see further into the dash to see if there are opens or shorts, loose, exposed wires etc.

ANY OTHER IDEAS TO TRY?
Should I disable the clutch Pedal Switch?
Should I disable the clutch interlock/up stop switch?

Thanks in advance.
OK FIXED sorry it took so long to update. It was a short with the fuel gauge. Simple fix.

OP
OP
Mamba_153

Mamba_153

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great find !!
Thanks! Good lessons learned. Be patient, read your manuals carefully, trace continuity and voltage wire by wire and connector by connector, and be methodical. You'll find the electrical problem. These Vipers are super well designed and easy to fix, if you don't rush.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper