2006 Coupe: Pre-Order, or wait ??

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am curious, if I should bite the bullet and put in a pre-order with one of our well respected viper friendly dealerships from this board, or wait for the release of the car, and see what happens to pricing?

I am curious, becasue I would hate to pay a premium for the car, only to watch it hit "dealer discounting" status like the srt-10 convert.

This is an honest to god question, I am not looking to bash the srt-10 convert, or get peoples opinion of the coupe.

I am still a little dissapointed on the HP staying stock, and the CD being worse then my current gen 2 (which I was always told was crappy, but I was always ok with it, given the sweet lines of the car which probably didnt help with CD). *whoops. went off track for a second*

So... I was really hoping for a CERT program for this car, which obviously isn't going to happen. So what kind of PRE order deals are people getting, or should I be looking for? And if folks think the pricing is going to drop, should I wait 6 months after the release to pick one up at a great deal, still new, but stuck on some dealership showroom floor?

Help me make this decision, because if the right thing to do is get a pre-order in, then I need to get to work on that. If its to wait... then I'll squish the little voice in the back of my head that keeps telling me to "at least do SOMETHING.." lol...

Thanks for the honest help ...

Jon

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pre-ordered at a local dealer who is offering $1000 over dealer cost on the new coupe. They wanted a $500 deposit on a credit card which they won't run until they are actually able to order one. It is a no obligation deposit and I am first on their list. I am still hoping (probably against hope) that there will be some sort of surprise when they actually hit the market. I know I will be upset if I buy this one and then 1 or 2 years later they offer one with more power.

Bob K

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More power is coming! Just like with the crossfire. When it came out there was already talk of more HP the very next year. I know people who waited the year! If 500 isn't enough I'd wait! JMO

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pre-ordered at a local dealer who is offering $1000 over dealer cost on the new coupe. They wanted a $500 deposit on a credit card which they won't run until they are actually able to order one. It is a no obligation deposit and I am first on their list. I am still hoping (probably against hope) that there will be some sort of surprise when they actually hit the market. I know I will be upset if I buy this one and then 1 or 2 years later they offer one with more power.

Bob K

hmmm... that doesnt sound too bad. $1000 over dealer cost, I assume thats the same thing as $1000 over invoice? Becuase they do get hold backs on the cars, which are 3%, so the dealership is going to make %3 off the actual sticker of the car. But I bet they wont count that as part of their profit (there by reducing actual cost).

Jon

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pre-ordered with a local dealership that I have purchased other cars and trucks with.

Paid $500.00 deposit, and will pay $1,000.00 over invoice when car arrives.

I am getting the only 06 coupe this dealership will get, but knew I could go to Bill at Woodhouse if they could not deliver. I was initially concerned production numbers would be very low, and no dealership here would get one at all....

On another side note, does anyone know if the factory is going to bring us up for a tour and see our car come off the line??

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pre-ordered with a local dealership that I have purchased other cars and trucks with.

Paid $500.00 deposit, and will pay $1,000.00 over invoice when car arrives.

I am getting the only 06 coupe this dealership will get, but knew I could go to Bill at Woodhouse if they could not deliver. I was initially concerned production numbers would be very low, and no dealership here would get one at all....

On another side note, does anyone know if the factory is going to bring us up for a tour and see our car come off the line??

Since they are already building them, its probably unlikely that you will be able to see yours roll off the line, because if your really lucky it'll be one of the first delivered, and you'll get it sooner that way.

Sad to say, after getting my most recent installment of viper magazine, I was truly dissapointed to see that they are sticking by their guns with the 500HP 525TQ. I am rethinking a purchase, knowing a stronger one is going to have to come out in a year or two.

Any thoughts about that?

Jon

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think so to, only because the New Vette's 500 HP!Dodge has to raise the bar again in the near future. It might not be in one year might be two.

Bad Car

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Life is to short! Pull the trigger on the New Coupe. Even if DC increases horsepower to 550 in a year or two is it going to make a difference in performance.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just dont know. Its kind of like why I bought the ACR, I wanted the best version available for that generation. (And short of a debate on that, at least its definetly the more OPTIONED vechicle).

My thought is I dont want to be the 2001 z06 guy, who had 385hp and next year it went to 405hp. IF dodge is going to pony up really soon (which they need to), I think my ACR will keep me company long enough, to wait for the MORE powerfull coupe. I am not a fan of trading in cars, way to much money lost, so I am keeping my ACR, and only want to buy a srt-10 coupe 1 time.. not have to trade it in, when a stronger beter model comes out.

Just my thoughts and rational.

Jon

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, if I were buying a Gen III it would be the convertible. Here's my reasoning. They have the same motor and bodywork up front. In addition, the coupe almost certainly weighs more than the convertible because it is built from the convertible. Note that the weight mentioned in the Viper magazine is estimated. So why pay for the lower power to weight ratio on the coupe when I can get better with the convertible and have fun in the sun at the same time. You may argue aerodynamics but unless you track it (not drag it) you won't see the difference. Just my $0.02.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, if I were buying a Gen III it would be the convertible. Here's my reasoning. They have the same motor and bodywork up front. In addition, the coupe almost certainly weighs more than the convertible because it is built from the convertible. Note that the weight mentioned in the Viper magazine is estimated. So why pay for the lower power to weight ratio on the coupe when I can get better with the convertible and have fun in the sun at the same time. You may argue aerodynamics but unless you track it (not drag it) you won't see the difference. Just my $0.02.

Right, good points.. but again, when the first one rolls off the assembly line completed, then we will really know, otherwise its conjecture at this point. Also, the only reason a coupe is a must for me, is not because of drag, but because the local track VIR requires a roll bar, if you going to track a convertible, so I will pass on doing that to a convert, and just get a coupe, where you dont need one. Unfortunetly, I think I read that the coupe has a worse CD then the Gen 2... how the heck is that.. I thought the whole point in the new lines of the Gen 3, was to make it more areodynamic... guess not.. toned down lines.. for what reason then ??

Jon

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right, good points.. but again, when the first one rolls off the assembly line completed, then we will really know, otherwise its conjecture at this point.
The writing is on the wall (or in the magazine). It's not conjecture.
Unfortunetly, I think I read that the coupe has a worse CD then the Gen 2... how the heck is that.. I thought the whole point in the new lines of the Gen 3, was to make it more areodynamic... guess not.. toned down lines.. for what reason then ??
I agree that it seems to be a step back with the coupe. If I recall correctly, it was their damn obsession with Ferrari and aerodynamics that started the whole "let's change the look thing." And now they have a mess. Ugggh! In that sense, you have to hand it to Porsche and how they subtly evolve the 911.

Look at Chrysler's vision from this perspective. From the 96 coupe to the 06 coupe, we got 50 hp increase. 10 years and 50 hp. :eek: :eek: :eek:

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you have to hand it to Porsche and how they subtly evolve the 911. -AviP
You're kidding right? Great as part of a collection maybe, but as stand alone excitement machine, no way. Rather boring and predictable it is eh. Viper all the way.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope with the release of the coupe the convertable market doesn't get croweded some more and see even more drops in prices :S...we don't want these things showing up in everyones drive way ;)

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon --

They're not building the coupe yet. They won't start until August. Word is that they will not be encouraging/allowing visitors to the plant as they ramp up the new production.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you have to hand it to Porsche and how they subtly evolve the 911. -AviP
You're kidding right? Great as part of a collection maybe, but as stand alone excitement machine, no way. Rather boring and predictable it is eh. Viper all the way.
Well, obviously I'm talking from an evolutionary perspective. While I do find the 911 boring (and costly), the turbo model is exceptional. My point was that Porsche keeps the legend of the 911 alive by making subtle changes to the exterior looks. Hence the 911 always looks pretty similar to the previous year model and is instantly recognizable. Can't say the same for the GenIII?