2006 SRTC = 2000 Gen2?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the unveiling of the 600HP Vipers, does that make the 2006 SRTC's the unmentioned stepchild like the 2000 Gen2's? The 2000 year Vipers was a 1 year run with only cosmetic changes except for the lack of forged pistons of the 96-99 models and ABS of the 01-02 models. The 2006 SRTC is a 1 year run with only cosmetic changes without the hood, the 600HP and other engine refinements.

The question is... in the long run, will the 2006 SRTC be more or less collectible because of it?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depends on how easy it is to mod the new variable valve train. the old motor i think will proove itself to be much easier to modify for more power with less $$$. 10.2 compression ratio is not very boost friendly either.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, if power is all that you want, it is realtively easy to get your 06 SRTC to 600 + hp. Buy the hood and away you go.

My 01 GTS makes over 600 with heads / cam / headers / tuning / on pump gas and smog legal.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, your comparo was wrong relative to the 2000

For a few reasons, the 2000 was JUST like the pervious version in both looks and relative performance.

The 06 coupe looks completely different from the windshield back vs srt-10 conv. So they physically are different cars then their 03-05 counter parts and they did not take a hit as far as loosing strength of their motor relative to the previous version like the 2000 did, as the 05/06 is actually better motor then the 03, and 04s as it has a lighter crank, and spark knock sensors built into the block and better bearings along with a few other changes throughout the development of the motor. There also wont be any braking improvement on the 08 like the 01 vs 00. But the 08 will get a stronger tranny, which i have a feeling will be interchangeable just like the gen 3 tranny is interchangeable with the gen 2. (I'd say all parts relative to the drive line are probalby swapable in one degree or another).

Next, I agree the 96 rt/10 was a better "comparison," but it too falls short in being "=" to this scenerio, as it got a marginal increase in power over its prior years version, but less power then the following year. Where as the 06 coupe kept the same power as its 03-05 brothers. Which isnt a good thing, but just shows its not an exact match either to that situation. Keep in mind again, even on this one, the previous and later models looked the same, no significant rework externally from 95 to 97.

So what does this mean? Not a whole heck of a lot. I dont think 96 rt/10s are any more collectable then their earlier or later years, although if I was to chose an rt/10 it would be a 99 or 01-02(prefered). And if I was going to get a GTS, again 99 or 01-02(prefered).

I dont think this change to more hp and the next revision of drive line components is hurting us, or helping us (06 coupe guys). Its just about change. This is development/change at its finest, some people like the old, some people like the new. I personally own an 06 S/C coupe and for a split second, thought I would just give Dad my coupe and buy myself a new 08. But then it hit me, "why?" In 09-10 they are going to release the GEN 4. And then what? I have to give my dad my 08, so I can have the 2009-2010 ? Nah.. I love the changes they have made to the gen 3.5, and hopefully some will be incorporated into my car as I break stuff during normal wear and tear. But I'm not rushing out to get one, just because its marginally better then what I have now. When the 09/10 is ready, I'll be ready for my next viper !!

GO DODGE !! Long Live The Viper !!

Jon

PS. One cool thing that does kinda make the 06 coupe seem like the 00, is that we have Viper Slate Pearl Coat for 06, and i dont think thats going to be avail for 08 cars. So in that respect, the 06 Viper Slate Pearl coat coupe guys (the whole 8 or so of us, lol) have the Steal Gray of our generation :)

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, your comparo was wrong relative to the 2000

For a few reasons, the 2000 was JUST like the pervious version in both looks and relative performance.

The 06 coupe looks completely different from the windshield back vs srt-10 conv. So they physically are different cars then their 03-05 counter parts and they did not take a hit as far as loosing strength of their motor relative to the previous version like the 2000 did, as the 05/06 is actually better motor then the 03, and 04s as it has a lighter crank, and spark knock sensors built into the block and better bearings along with a few other changes throughout the development of the motor. There also wont be any braking improvement on the 08 like the 01 vs 00. But the 08 will get a stronger tranny, which i have a feeling will be interchangeable just like the gen 3 tranny is interchangeable with the gen 2. (I'd say all parts relative to the drive line are probalby swapable in one degree or another).

Next, I agree the 96 rt/10 was a better "comparison," but it too falls short in being "=" to this scenerio, as it got a marginal increase in power over its prior years version, but less power then the following year. Where as the 06 coupe kept the same power as its 03-05 brothers. Which isnt a good thing, but just shows its not an exact match either to that situation. Keep in mind again, even on this one, the previous and later models looked the same, no significant rework externally from 95 to 97.

So what does this mean? Not a whole heck of a lot. I dont think 96 rt/10s are any more collectable then their earlier or later years, although if I was to chose an rt/10 it would be a 99 or 01-02(prefered). And if I was going to get a GTS, again 99 or 01-02(prefered).

I dont think this change to more hp and the next revision of drive line components is hurting us, or helping us (06 coupe guys). Its just about change. This is development/change at its finest, some people like the old, some people like the new. I personally own an 06 S/C coupe and for a split second, thought I would just give Dad my coupe and buy myself a new 08. But then it hit me, "why?" In 09-10 they are going to release the GEN 4. And then what? I have to give my dad my 08, so I can have the 2009-2010 ? Nah.. I love the changes they have made to the gen 3.5, and hopefully some will be incorporated into my car as I break stuff during normal wear and tear. But I'm not rushing out to get one, just because its marginally better then what I have now. When the 09/10 is ready, I'll be ready for my next viper !!

GO DODGE !! Long Live The Viper !!

Jon

PS. One cool thing that does kinda make the 06 coupe seem like the 00, is that we have Viper Slate Pearl Coat for 06, and i dont think thats going to be avail for 08 cars. So in that respect, the 06 Viper Slate Pearl coat coupe guys (the whole 8 or so of us, lol) have the Steal Gray of our generation :)

Jon--Nice comparison. But I have to say----with your history----you will buy an 08. Dad may still end up with the 06. I'm staying tuned!

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2006 Coupe versus 2008 Coupe will be like 5.7L GTO versus 6.0L GTO.

I also know the value of cars like mine just went down the $hitter even more so there's plenty of misery to go around.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone consider the 2000 Gen2 collectible for this reason? I've never heard they were...

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone consider the 2000 Gen2 collectible for this reason? I've never heard they were...

Def not, there is nothing desirable about the 2000 gen2, other then it has one of the best color options I feel, which is the Steal Gray. Other then that, I personally would steer away from an 00, because a year before it, or a year after it, has a benefit that it doesnt (either ABS or Forged motor).

Jon

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Jon--Nice comparison. But I have to say----with your history----you will buy an 08. Dad may still end up with the 06. I'm staying tuned!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks and Funny, and I'm sure if my Dad reads this, he is hoping the same thing :D :2tu:

Jon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets