2008 Drive Train Vibration

viperrrr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2008n Venom Red Coupe. I took delivery of the car in January and due to weather I have only put about 650 miles on it.

I have owned a 2000G GTS and a 2003 SRT vert. I did not keep the 03 vert for very long. To be honest I don't really remember how the car felt.

when I picked up the 08 one of the things I noticed was a vibration throughout the car especially in 5th and 6th gear. I cannot think of another word other than vibrtion to describe this issue with the car. I am positive that it is not a wheel balancing problem.

I realize this is a new engine and that this vibration for lack of a better word/description might be normal.

I have not had a check engine light and everthing else about the car seems ok.

Does anyone with an 08 have this issue?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
5th & 6th gear ... I assume your talking about higher speeds only, so it's not engine/rpm related.

I haven't driven those new '08 tires yet, but some brands can be real prone to flat-spotting in cooler temps. If so, the condition is usually gone after 10-15 mi ... see if it seems to get better, or go away as the drive goes on. If it is the tires, it won't be an issue in the summer.

Last edited:

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have noticed also. Like above, in 5th or 6th especially at 100-110 mph. I am going to have dealer check it out I think mine could be a tire.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is at a very low rpm in fifth or 6th you will feel some vibration but at 100 or so i dont think there should be any vibration unless they changed the engine or tranny mounts on the 08s which I dont think they did.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure you are feeling vibration as opposed to hearing gear rattle? The new transmission is noisier. It discusses this fact in your owner's manual. It is a byproduct of it being a tougher piece.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure you are feeling vibration as opposed to hearing gear rattle? The new transmission is noisier. It discusses this fact in your owner's manual. It is a byproduct of it being a tougher piece.

yes definatly vibration, But I agree the new trns is noisier also. I tried three different roads/surfaces and noticed the vibration on all three. Seems to come more from drivers side front to me. I'm getting balance on tire checked this week.

PET SNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guy's my wife's 08 convert does not vibrate, had car up to 150( of coarse on race track ):lmao: seems to be just fine onlt 380 mile's on car.

PET SNAKE.......:drive:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Engine mounts and trans mount are much stiffer with the 08's versus the 03-06's... improves many things, but does work against harshness a bit. IMHO.