2008 intake by Snake-Oyl

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that over the weekend.

IMO, the K&N is good, but can be had for what, $60?

I plan on removing one of my stock intake hoses and measuring it up, then buying my own.

Should be waaay less than $199.;)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Be careful which KN is being offered....it may be the MAZDA version.

The correct SRT10-G4 filter is indeed nicely under $60 at unnamed VCA Vendors.

If you make your own hoses out of boat-exhaust you can save $$$ and have good rubber hose. The $199 price is more of a convenience and ****-silicone fee IF it includes the Gen4-KN

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like the kit has the correct hoses. The engine side hose is 3.25" ID ,and the airbox side is 3.5". I just measured mine. It might be a little tougher to stretch a 3.25" hose or "shrink" a 3.5" hose.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just found these.....
Wall: 4 Ply - Aramid reinforced reducer
Temperature Rating: -65F to 500F
Material: Silicone
Brand: Verocious Motorsports
Verocious Motorsports silicone reducers are 100% Made in the U.S.A.

3inch long with 3.25x3.5 openings. $25 each

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mjf6175 They need to be 6" long.
icon11.gif

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mfj6175 Thanks for the info, looks like the hose you referenced is to short. I have the K&N already, and Snake Oyl told me they wanted $150.00 for the hose. If you find one that works, send me a PM. Thanks! Mike

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were several comments by the SRT engineers about the R & D that went into the '08/'09 air intake. They were surprisingly opinionated with regard to this issue. Without actual comparative studies, I'd be hesitant to throw money at something unproven, especially in light of what we were told. Just my .02.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised these mods don't throw the CEL on. This past weekend, I took that black plastic baffle off that's attached behind the air inlet on the hood. I made it about 6 miles before the CEL light and electronic throttle control light came on and the car went into limp home mode. I turned around and went home and it ran fine. Grabbed the baffle and took off again. This time I made it about 10 miles. Pulled over and put the stupid thing back on and it's been fine ever since.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think SRT really took the Gen IV out about as far as it can reliabley go, so small things like the baffel setting off CEL does'nt surprise me, but getting a real meaningful boost from the intake hoses would

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, in round numbers you have a 100k vehicle and you’re concerned about cutting corners on an intake to save possibly $100.00…. I don’t see the benefit. Sorry guys but I have to talk about the purple elephant in the room. You’re stepping over a dollar to pick up a Dime… Spend the money on the correctly engineered products for your cars!! Just my thoughts..

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, in round numbers you have a 100k vehicle and you’re concerned about cutting corners on an intake to save possibly $100.00…. I don’t see the benefit. Sorry guys but I have to talk about the purple elephant in the room. You’re stepping over a dollar to pick up a Dime… Spend the money on the correctly engineered products for your cars!! Just my thoughts..
i agree with your staement.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spend the money on the correctly engineered products for your cars!! Just my thoughts..

I'm uncertain of whether you're suggesting one should or should not buy the Snake Oyl product that's the subject of this thread. Speaking for myself, my issue is not the cost, but rather whether the product was, in fact "correctly engineered", i.e., more conclusively so than the stock intake. The SRT engineers have strongly suggested that such an intake "upgrade" is not.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From first hand knowledge:

Call JonB - the whole kit was less than $199 - Jon can tell you how much less.

I wanted the cool red hoses.

Now Jon, where's my kit? JK!!!

I know it takes over a week to get anything from the evergreen state down to TX!

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Snake-Oyl is waaaay overpriced on much of their products. Anyone that has the idea from buying from them should compare prices to other competitive vendors. Buyer Beware.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Abe, the comments about high cost are likely from owners that have had other vipers. Mopar smooth tubes for a Gen II are $240.00 or you can go to JonB for $79.00 or Roe for $59.00. The majority of viper owners select the alternatives.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
From first hand knowledge:

Call JonB - the whole kit was less than $199 - Jon can tell you how much less.
I wanted the cool red hoses. Now Jon, where's my kit? JK!!!

I know it takes over a week to get anything from the evergreen state down to TX!

Out for delivery today, [shipped in 24 hrs of order]........ THANK YOU

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
Just bustin your chops ;) The parts arrived the next day!

Here are some photos of the install - take a look at the mechanics doing the install. Skill level required "1".

Last edited:

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

except this "correctly engineered product" is a piece of 6 inch tube.

Doesn't matter how much the car cost, and no one is trying to "cut corners", they simply dont want to be bent over for a couple of 6 inch pieces of tubing.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have smooth tubes on my GenIII and they seem rather chincy!!
5 ply...the ply is pretty thin!!

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on the fence on this. I have K&Ns on every car, but given the engineers objections, I have no clue. As to the "the stock engine is engineered to the edge" comments why does an exhaust change net 50hp then? Why do they offer a different controller for more hp? Why couldn't this mod fit into that same category?? Hell K&Ns sound better, that might be reason enough...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang