2008 Viper--get it or wait??

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 05 Comm Ed. (number 9 of 100) SRT which I love. I am thinking about an 08 but there just seems to be too many unknowns about what it will be. I don't want to give up what I have if all I am gonna get is a stop gap in-between car which simply has a bigger motor. Thoughts??

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your inquiry is premature. How can you make any decision without knowing what you need to know about the 2008? Rumors and hearsay are not reliable. The only data so far that seems relaible is the 600 HP figure and the disclosure of the new valvetrain. Its like sayng I do not know whether I want something and that something does not exist. Enjoy what you have. It does exist. When the car actually comes out, you will then have the data to make an informed decision.

Viperholic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree with bobpantax. Have a blast with what you've got, and wait for Gen IV in 2010!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobpantax: There is more out there about the 08 than you apparently know--or I would not be asking the question

As said above, the only somewhat authenticated, reliable data "out" concerns the 600 HP and the new valvetrain. The rest is runor, hearsay and speculation - Allpar, et.al. notwithstanding. Don't be fooled by posters that state something like it is true when they really do not know and are only guessing or repeating first, second, or third level hearsay. There is an old experiment where twenty people are seated next to each other in a row of chairs. A short story is whispered to the first person and each person is asked to pass it on to the next person in line. By the time the story gets to the end of the line, it is completely exaggerated and distorted. Wait for the real data on the car to be released, then ask your question again. Good luck! Enjoy your '05 SRT.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 05 Comm Ed. (number 9 of 100) SRT which I love. I am thinking about an 08 but there just seems to be too many unknowns about what it will be. I don't want to give up what I have if all I am gonna get is a stop gap in-between car which simply has a bigger motor. Thoughts??

I'm confused. Why do you have to give up anything until you know what the '08 has to offer? I know I must be missing something here. You keep your car..or get an '08 if it is to your liking. FYI....THE '08 WILL HAVE 600 HP, VVT, and a new hood, and new colors. That is it.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It sounds like you are concerned more about what will come after that, e.g., in 2010 or 2012. But look at it like this, there's always a new version of any vehicle a few years later. If you are happy with your 05 and do not feel an urgent need to upgrade to the 08, then just stick with your 05 for a while after the 08 is out, that's my plan, and I will either get an 08-styled model eventually or get the newer model (10, 12, or whatever it ends up being), simply depending on when I feel it is time for me to get a new vehicle, not simply because a new vehicle has debuted.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our S.Fla chapter president just emailed us that the 2008 model will be in the January edition of the car mags.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One good possible advantage of this refresh only is that we 03-06 owners can easily upgrade our current rides with parts from this 08/09 instead of taking the depreciation hit of a trade-in.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am waiting for the 2025 Viper. It is supposed to have holographic fuel injection for additional HP with increased mileage ; >)

The best Viper is the one in your garage.

I medicine there is a saying...Better is the enemy of Good. This means, sometimes always wanting to get something better means you will never get anything.