2008 Viper

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Automotive News, the next generation Viper in 2008 with have 575 to 600 HP. No 2007 Viper, next one is due 2008 in show rooms in late 2007! May get more information at VOI#9 in Las Vegas.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope that is off. I am getting rid of my 05 in the next month and it would **** to go almost a year Viperless.
Also we need at least 600hp to fend off the Z06.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the October 06 issue of Hot Rod:

"The rumors around Detroit are that with the help of McLaren, the V-10 may grow in displacement from the current 8.3L to somewhere around 8.5L or 8.6L with a commensurate rise in output from 500 hp to, agad, 650 hp."

I hope the h*ll they do this. DCX needs to throw a knockout punch. 550/575 hp won't do it.

How cool would it be to bring a NA car at say 575 and for $10k more get a supercharged car coming in at 700 hp? They'd sell them all over the planet with that package.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
According to the October 06 issue of Hot Rod:

"The rumors around Detroit are that with the help of McLaren, the V-10 may grow in displacement from the current 8.3L to somewhere around 8.5L or 8.6L with a commensurate rise in output from 500 hp to, agad, 650 hp."

I hope the h*ll they do this. DCX needs to throw a knockout punch. 550/575 hp won't do it.

How cool would it be to bring a NA car at say 575 and for $10k more get a supercharged car coming in at 700 hp? They'd sell them all over the planet with that package.

I agree. Also the Prefix option of a custom interior or exterior would be nice.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The '08 Vipers will commence production in January '07 according to the people working at CAAP

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upping the power is good, but they better drop the weight to keep the Z06 "Blue Devil" at bay with it's estimated 650hp and 2800lbs.

This is speculation and some still call [******], I too will believe it when I see it. But keep in mind, NO ONE thought DC would allow the Viper to take a backseat to the Vette in performance.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
650 hp is possible without major surgery but 2800 lbs is tough to see even using a lot of carbon fiber - (as in the entire body)
Gm has gone to an aluminum/composite chassis however I
m not sure if that was to save weight or to creat a stiffer chassis. My money, after seeing a Z06 at the track, is it was the stiffer chassis. That car could get thru the corners extremely quick. Basic theory is the stiffer the chassis the better the suspension works - they sure found something.

Viper is also known for its chassis stiffness but maybe they need to go to the next level in performance.

650HP - dry sump
G-force Transmission to handle the extra power
Aluminum/composite chassis
Adjustable gas shocks (street/performance/track settings)
Compe Coupe brakes
Carbon fiber everywhere
AND an MSRP of $65,000

Lastly- dump the current body design and copy the Concept Car the Competition Coupe was designed after - splitter and all !!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
650 hp is possible without major surgery but 2800 lbs is tough to see even using a lot of carbon fiber - (as in the entire body)
m not sure if that was to save weight or to creat a stiffer chassis. My money, after seeing a Z06 at the track, is it was the stiffer chassis. That car could get thru the corners extremely quick. Basic theory is the stiffer the chassis the better the suspension works - they sure found something.

Viper is also known for its chassis stiffness but maybe they need to go to the next level in performance.

650HP - dry sump
Compe Coupe brakes
Carbon fiber everywhere
AND an MSRP of $65,000

Lastly- dump the current body design and copy the Concept Car the Competition Coupe was designed after - splitter and all !!
The Z06 has NOTHING on the Viper chasis in regards to stiffness. It sacrificed stiffness for weight reduction using aluminum. That's why all the mags say it handles like ****. I'd rather have more weight with a stiffer chasis and more HP than just a weight trim for a wobbly car that launches a hair faster. :rolleyes:

In case someone calls me on it... I'm exaggerating on the "wobbly" part. The Z06 is a damn fine car! But in most mags, they mention the Viper handles more competantly on the track. Bottom line, the Z06, as a newer car, might be a hair better out of the box new, but its capacity to grow is stunted by a compromised foundation.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

650HP - dry sump
Compe Coupe brakes
Carbon fiber everywhere
and Msrp under 65,000

ok, its one or the other.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

650HP - dry sump
Compe Coupe brakes
Carbon fiber everywhere
and Msrp under 65,000

ok, its one or the other.

Agreed...No way you are gonna have carbon fibre everywhere and keep the price at 65k...Not possible...Currently the Viper sells for more than that new...The Viper you describe will be 100k+ especially with dealer markup..

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope no one here thinks that DC will come out with a new Viper that has a MSRP which is less than the current model - no way! Count on the new one starting in the mid 90s for the base sticker price.

My predictions:

600 HP
200 lbs less weight
A new look that distinguishes it more from the Chevy bowtie car
$95,000 base price

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope no one here thinks that DC will come out with a new Viper that has a MSRP which is less than the current model - no way! Count on the new one starting in the mid 90s for the base sticker price.

My predictions:

600 HP
200 lbs less weight
A new look that distinguishes it more from the Chevy bowtie car
$95,000 base price

That's a good conservative guess and most likely to happen. I'd like to see 50 more HP's than that. Keep your fingers crossed.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
British buff mag CAR reports that the Chrysler Firepower concept car is looking more like a legitimate production possibility.

With speculation rampant that Dodge is going to give the Viper a serious power boost (think 650 HP) for 2008 -- an idea bolstered by sightings of Diamondback Viper test mules -- the thinking is that Viper's move upmarket opens up room for a new performance coupe to take its place in the battle against the likes of the Corvette.

The HEMI-driven Firepower would certainly fit the bill while also providing Chrysler dealers with a serious traffic magnet for their showrooms. If a production version retained the concept's blend of performance with luxurious interior appointments, it might make for a very interesting 'Vette alternative, indeed.

Of course, as we said, it's all speculation -- speculation that becomes more fun, however, when you consider that Chrysler honcho Tom LaSorda helped fuel it himself back in January.

Stay tuned.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think that the areo and weight will have to come up and down respectively for the 2008 Viper to hold its own. I have spent many many hours at the track behind side by side with the new Z06 and it is very very strong - obviously underrated for power.
The thing thathe Viper still has is more than enough torque and traction from 30-80 mph - the 335's are very good.

However, the extra 400 lbs is just an anchor on the snake and it is now outdated. Top end is also hindered by the aero - I can pull equally with our 2002 ACR until about 150 km/h then I pull slightly with a 380 hp car (likely 410 hp) 2005 GT3.
Same seems to be the case with SRT.

Lets face it, I do not mind paying more for more...it's just now that we can get a lot more for less and Dodge has not yet stepped up.
I fully agree that power increase (650-700 hp should be easy nat asp with 550 cubes) and a weight of 3100lbs. Do that ...and you is done.
We need a new chassis and body to get the weight down.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many sports cars have great 0-60 numbers because they get to 60mph in 1st gear. How important would that be, on top of everything else, for 2008?

I think the Ford GT does it. Not sure about the Z06

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many sports cars have great 0-60 numbers because they get to 60mph in 1st gear. How important would that be, on top of everything else, for 2008?

2005 Silver SRT/10

Z06 I believe hits 62mph in 1st...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2005 Silver SRT/10

Z06 I believe hits 62mph in 1st...
The srt-c only gets to 58 in 1st. Dunno about the vert.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-60 time are great fodder for magazines but not especially great on the track unless the track only requires 1 shift.
I do not know what ratios would the EXISTING SRT-10 require to get a 1st gear zero shift 0-60mph - 1 shift takes 1 sec (without destroying syncros).

A better thing to wish for in the gearbox final drive is
1. 0-60 in first
2. DCG - a dual clutch zero lift on shift transmission. Porsche will now have one on the tt and then next on ALL models.

On 3 shift run that would just destroy any 1-2 second difference since there very little off power time -

All I know is that manny tranny will be just put into the gutter if the guy is running a DCG - Also, since you cannot "powershift" and force a gear or miss a shift or over rev the motor th MFGs love it for warranty.

I am not sure I love this from the "driver as artist" perspective but it is no fun being handed your hat if you have to lift and shift.

I believe GM is also planning on a type paddle shift car.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Gen IV Viper marketing team should "astound" the automotive world by being the first to market the standing mile performance of a factory car compared to the competition. Brag about how the torque of the V10 still puts you back in your seat beyond 140. Oh, and it corners too. This rewriting of the standards would have the same effect for the Viper as the 400 hp level did in 1992. :cool:

1/4 mile times will still be important but 0-60 test is very outdated because of excessive wheelspin in the high hp supercars of today.

Oh, with a bigger engine and more hp, give me a steel frame over aluminum any day. Aluminum is too brittle and will break before it flexes.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe time for Viper to take a new look at the classics. Make a 400 hp Viper with no windows, no air conditioning, marginal build quality, 3 spoke wheels, 17" tires, one piece hood and fenders. Make just a few hundred, and see people pay way over sticker for the few available...Never gonna happen.

Look for Viper to go up the evolutionary scale with better performance (don't get all hung up over the hp, torque or weight numbers) in handling, braking and accelleration. Just a few more creature comforts, reasonable pricing, and maybe spend a few bucks to make the service a more high end experience.

Think I will be driving Vipers for quite a few more years.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the new Z06 to pass me and my 97 GTS at the track. Gee with all that HP and lightweight and dry sump and all I would think they'd be tracking the **** outta them. What's going on?

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck - not sure how strong your 97 is...however, I am guessing that you have a s-load more driver/seat time than 99.9999999% of the Viper drivers and much more than that Z06 driver.
Passing can happen anywhere depending on balls and talent/experience. My view is that you have an extra 400lbs to turn and accelerate +/- ...therfore, you are just a far better driver. The hp difference is just too close - you are likely 435, he, 460.
Again, not sure what kind of track (#turns, #shifts, and distance) - but generally, think that the Z06 is strong and a cheap - and a dry sump is what every viper should have.
If you need to use our full rev range (and we do if you dont want your hat handed to you) - a dry sump is what we should have gotten and need.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My view is that you have an extra 400lbs to turn and accelerate +/- ...therfore, you are just a far better driver. The hp difference is just too close - you are likely 435, he, 460.

Geez man, that's just rude, Chuck's not that big?! :D

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait till one of these Z06's gets hit with frame damage. You can't just go in and bend that Aluminum back into shape. Lots of cutting and welding.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck - not sure how strong your 97 is...however, I am guessing that you have a s-load more driver/seat time than 99.9999999% of the Viper drivers and much more than that Z06 driver.

My bad. I wasn't trying to imply that I was so good. The point I wanted to make was that I have only seen one at the track. For a car that is supposedly so "track ready, worthy and dominating" I would think somebody somewhere would be driving the p*ss out of them.

Maybe next year.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From talking to a friend who tracks his '06 Z06 regularly, the stock Z06 is not really track ready. Stock it has all left side rotors ( poor right cooling ). The mini pad front disks wear in an odd fashion ( he replaced with StopTech). The stock radiator is not up to WOT heat management ( he replaced with aftermarket ). After all that the car is wicked fast.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From talking to a friend who tracks his '06 Z06 regularly, the stock Z06 is not really track ready. Stock it has all left side rotors ( poor right cooling ). The mini pad front disks wear in an odd fashion ( he replaced with StopTech). The stock radiator is not up to WOT heat management ( he replaced with aftermarket ). After all that the car is wicked fast.

Good for him. I'm glad to hear somebody is tracking them.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's a guy name Allan that tracks his at Willow. He's quick. I hope he's at OTR at the next event. I'll ask him for a ride.

ResumeSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go by what an insider at Allpar reported almost a year ago, no '07 model, '08 production start in January '07, 8.4L engine, intro at VOI9.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62