2009 ACR change to 2010

dayABR11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, back in the game of looking to get a Viper or not. I had played with a idea a few months ago, decided against it, but now the itch is getting to me again. Anyway, had a question that I couldn't find an answer to after a few searches:

How difficult is it to change the 2009 to 2010 specs? The new 5th gear and wing design. Would the wing be a total swap out or is it just buying new end plates and that's it? How much would this kind of conversion cost?

Not trying to make a mimic 2010, but I'd like that extra "top speed" and better top gear accel of the 2010. With 2009 prices being quite reasonable right now, that seems like the smarter route to go...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone had posted here recently about doing the gear swap if I recall it was something like $1500-1800 with the labor, could be wrong. I don't think they did anything with the wing, that has to be relatively insignificant compared to the gears.

Edit: It was Viper X a SOCAL member who posted it.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try "Vipair" for the changes to the rear wing end plates. Their contact info can be found under "marketplace" at the top of the web page for this web site.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wing is integral to the top speed, and it is a new wing and endplates to be correct. If you want a 2010 , to have a correct vehicle , it might be easier to start there by the time you do all the switching.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the threads about 3.55 rear gears before you spend your money to change the 5th gear in the tranny....you might be glad you did. ;)

OP
OP
D

dayABR11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I figured there may be more to it thank just simple swaps here and there... I remembered seeing the prices for original Mopar wings at about $10000 or so! So the whole wing for 2010 is different not just the endplates then. That makes things a little different...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I figured there may be more to it thank just simple swaps here and there... I remembered seeing the prices for original Mopar wings at about $10000 or so! So the whole wing for 2010 is different not just the endplates then. That makes things a little different...

While the endplates can be a direct swap for a 'cosmetic' reasons, they only function with the taller wicker-bill of the 2010 Wing. And the effect is above 120 mph.

And as others stated, the 3:55 would be a better 'value' choice vs a rebuilt tranny (voiding warrantee) unless you truly seek top-speed-run bragging rights as a Manufacturer that seeks track records might want!

In other words, dont diss an '09 due to the 5th gear and the wing of a '10!

Good Luck JonB~~~~:<~

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is quite interesting.
I wonder if one was to do the fifth gear swap on an '09, but leave the factory wing what kind of top speed it would end up with in comparison. The only difference being the wing. Does the factory claim even more downforce with the '10 wing vs the '09? What is the stated performance benefit of the '10 vs '9 wing?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is quite interesting.
I wonder if one was to do the fifth gear swap on an '09, but leave the factory wing what kind of top speed it would end up with in comparison. The only difference being the wing. Does the factory claim even more downforce with the '10 wing vs the '09? What is the stated performance benefit of the '10 vs '9 wing?

From the tech session at VOI.....Better yaw (sideways) control in high speed track cornering.

OP
OP
D

dayABR11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the responses I've decided that if I were to get a 2009, I would just keep it as is and not do these changes

But a couple of other questions:

Which would be the better value then?

For instance - New 2009 for about 87k vs new 2010 for 100k. The 2009 has depreciated 13k compared to the 2010 already! Will the 2010 also take such a big hit after one year? Or would it depreciate slower due to it's specialness as a 2010 model?

If depreciation would occur the same way for the 2010 as the 2009, then for my purposes the 2009 would be the better value as it's already taken that biggest first year hit while still being a "new car" with warranty and all that.

Also, I plan on tracking the car. Assuming no damage, would that in itself devalue the car much? Would the devalue effect on a 2010 be greater due to their "collector" status? I was told that it's not as big of a value factor for the current generation of ACRs because people accept that they will be tracked...

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
What is the stated performance benefit of the '10 vs '9 wing?

Herb went over it on this forum. With the new end plates and Gurney flap on the wing, it was 6-8 more mph and the improved stability someone mentioned.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all, back in the game of looking to get a Viper or not. I had played with a idea a few months ago, decided against it, but now the itch is getting to me again. Anyway, had a question that I couldn't find an answer to after a few searches:

How difficult is it to change the 2009 to 2010 specs? The new 5th gear and wing design. Would the wing be a total swap out or is it just buying new end plates and that's it? How much would this kind of conversion cost?

Not trying to make a mimic 2010, but I'd like that extra "top speed" and better top gear accel of the 2010. With 2009 prices being quite reasonable right now, that seems like the smarter route to go...

where do you want the "top speed?" on a roadcourse or in a straight line?
i cant think of many roadcourses that will allow a vipers top speed. if youre looking for a straight line top speed i have to think a standard viper coupe would yield higher top speeds in a straight line. downforce is great on high speed turns but downforce also equals drag which reduces top speed.

OP
OP
D

dayABR11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was more for the bragging rights - to say that "I have the updated wing that does such and such." But yeah, after feedback that seems like a pricey and not that effective way to go.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was more for the bragging rights - to say that "I have the updated wing that does such and such." But yeah, after feedback that seems like a pricey and not that effective way to go.

i was comparing an ACR to a standard coupe. as far as top speed in a straight line the regular coupe should be faster due to less drag.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody can answer future depreciaton values, especially with the new Gen V around the corner.
Obviously a '10 is going to cost more than a '09 NOW that has been on someones lot for a year so how can you compare depreciation when one is newer?
It would stand to reason that next summer the '10's will be heavily discounted as well with the new Viper around the corner. Next year would you seriously plunk down 100K for a now almost two year old '10 with a brand new Viper around the corner?

History has shown that the last year of any Gen Viper hasn't meant much as to resale values. It's all about the mileage and condition in a few years.
The last years of the Gen 1, 2 or 3 meant little values are more determined by the more desirable colors, mileage and condition.

In my case I wanted a new ACR last year and got a new '09 with the stripes I much preferred (don't care for that wide flared look) over the '10's that were going for MSRP. And saved about 18K over the '10. Same car to me, not sure where I will need the extra 5 MPH top end that is not even used on most tracks unless your going to the 'Ring.....:)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

The average viewer, even among Viper Owners, would ASSume that any Gen 4 ACR with slotted endplates is a 2010.

I talked with the aerodynamacist at Viper Cup Race # 1. He worked on the wind-tunnel testing on it while at Chrysler. (He now works for Freightliner here in Portland.) He said the real results were achieved because this higher wicker-bill achieved better downforce, and the slotted "spillways" diminshed some drag; And also diminished side-to-side buffeting and kept the wing (and car) more stable at high-speeds. Short version: Better "yaw control" once you get the wing above what otherwise would be lift-off speeds.

He also stated that the end plates alone, would have little performance value, if any, if simply mounted on an earlier wing.

Get Yur ACR and let us know!

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the asthetic value. 2010 end plates just look cool. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
While I did not say 'Esthetic reasons" I did say:

While the endplates can be a direct swap for a 'cosmetic' reasons, they only function with the taller wicker-bill of the 2010 Wing. And the effect is above 120 mph. Good Luck JonB~~~~:<~

Speaking of which, if you change endplates you can choose a different COLOR as well, and maybe add a Nurburgring and/or Laguna Seca record decals? Keith's '09 (!) would look great with BLACK endplates to match the stanchions !

Last edited:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I did not say 'Esthetic reasons" I did say:

Speaking of which, if you change endplates you can choose a different COLOR as well, and maybe add a Nurburgring and/or Laguna Seca record decals? Keith's '09 (!) would look great with BLACK endplates to match the stanchions !

You got me there. And you're also right about black! :headbang:

You must be registered for see images

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome.........and that was FAST!

Now you just need to blacken the end-plate screws with a Magic Marker! Or a stick-on rubber nubbin. If you want 'ACR Record Decals', I owe you a favor....

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top speed of 2008 and 2009 ACR = 177 MPH.

Top speed of 2010 ACR = 184 MPH.

Top speed of regular Gen IV coupe = greater than 200 MPH.

As for the gearing, I have a .80 fifth gear and a .63 sixth gear ( this is an additional change not done in the 2010.). It was well worth the money. Before, I had a four speed transmission with two overdrive gears. Now I have a true six speed. However, if you are not going to use the additional performance capability created by the change, it is questionable whether the expense would be warranted. As for the 3.55 diff change out, see if you can drive a Gen IV with one first. First gear will come and go in a flash. You will lose some top end speed and at lower speeds you may have some additional drivetrain noise. The 3.06 diff in my Challeneger was changed out for a 3.92 AMG unit. I like it but it is a much different experience than the normal 3.06 with the automatic.

Bottom line, if you are not going to use the performance and just want the look, change the end plates. If you want the highest top speed, do not get an ACR. Get the regular coupe.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the look of those endplates in a contrasting color would look nice in black with the graphite CF pieces.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I like the look of those endplates in a contrasting color would look nice in black with the graphite CF pieces.

On the vast majority of ACRs, the OE endplate matches the FENDER COLOR as with Keiths 1st pic. Custom-colors show his send pic, in Gloss Black.

My orange endplates constantly make me think I have someone in my blind spot, even tho I religiously keep the side mirrors canted past the bodywork being visible. And at night, the gloss-black split rear stanchions reflect traffic and make it 'appear' like 2 headlights are tailgating me! Scary, in fact. I intend to make them FLAT BLACK at my first opportunity.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
~~~

Top speed of 08 / 09 ACR = 177 MPH.

Top speed of 2010 ACR = 184 MPH.

Top speed of regular Gen IV coupe = greater than 200 MPH.

Bottom line, if you are not going to use the performance and just want the look, change the end plates. If you want the highest top speed, do not get an ACR. Get the regular coupe.

Exactly! The aero components conspire to add some weight, and create a lot of DRAG.....but aero is a trade-off when cornering at high speeds. The extra downforce helps you corner faster even tho it limits the straightaway top speed. There are more CORNERS at a race track than straights, so the faster lap-time payoff results from aero.