2009 Car tax shock

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shocked...but in a good way. My car tax bill for the Viper was $79.04 for 2009! The county I live in puts the tax value at 24K. I know many of you don't have to pay property tax, but several of my friends in Virginia (less than 3 miles from my house) have to pay more than 10X what I pay. House tax is only .32 per $100 value also. Thanks to all of you who go to the Outer Banks of NC for vacation for keeping my taxes low!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just went to Ocracoke last year, and my son and his girlfriend got engaged there in October, so glad we could assist in your economy and keep your taxes low, ha.

Love the Outer Banks, and cool to know there is at least one Snake screaming amongst the dunes at times.

My taxes are about 20 times yours, so I am envious. Fortunately with weather in the upper 50s today, I am not also suffering from the extreme jealousy of your normally great weather.:2tu:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a great deal as my tax on the new 2009 Viper was around $6500.00. And since Obamas great auto tax deductible plan ONLY:usa: includes those new cars under $49,000 I can even admire your low tax even more. His great plan was also only for new cars bought in Feb. or later this year. If you bought in Jan.---well.

Last edited:

nedasrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the tax break covers up to the first 49,500 of the purchase price, but it looks like only after 2/17/2009 purchases.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shocked is right. I went in expecting to pay $198 to register my '09 but had to pay over $1000! :mad: Minnesota used to charge $198.00 to register a new car the first time. $99 the next year, $75 the next, and so on till it bottomed at $35. As of Sept. '08 the registration tax was changed to 1.25% times the manufacturers suggested retail price. And that's on top of the 6.5% sales tax and the multitude of other misc. fees they charge. :mad: It will take 10 years before the registration tax drops to $35. It drops about .1% each year.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be too disappointed by the value either. If it is like VA the "tax value" is not the same as the fair market value. They give you a discount. Unfortunately the county I am in still charges me about $400 / year even at the discounted rate. :eek:

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Watching eBay lately, I'm not so sure it's far off the mark of market value :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang