2010 ACR vs GEN V

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted by member on VA:
Ran my neighbors 2013 GTS today on the way home from cars and coffee. Both cars are stock.

Details: 2008 ACR with 5000 miles on it, 1/4 tank of fuel. 2013 Stryker Red GTS with 500 miles on it and 3/4 tank of fuel.

Both cars starting in 2nd gear at 60, Gen 4 threw the honks and the Gen 5 got a split second jump but was already pacing about a 1/4 car ahead.

ACR started pulling, came around, and put a car and a half on the 2013 up to 155-160 ish. No one hit the rev limiter and we talked about the run afterwards. He said his shift points were 100-200 rpm below or at redline each time and he didn't hit the limiter.

I shifted at the same points in the Gen 4.

Gen 5 guy is a neighbor and a good friend so no video,we were just out having fun and had the opportunity to line them up.

We'll run them again when he gets a few more miles on it and see if anything changes.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At those speeds the gen V should have pulled more than a car and a half.
The big 'air brake / sail' on the back of the ACR hinders it for that type of thing I think.
On a road course in the corners, that's a different story though.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"ACR started pulling, came around, and put a car and a half on the 2013 up to 155-160 ish. No one hit the rev limiter and we talked about the run afterwards. He said his shift points were 100-200 rpm below or at redline each time and he didn't hit the limiter."

So the ACR pulled a car & a half and it started a half car behind, so 2 car links win for the '08 ACR then.

Not sure about the gearing comment on the gen5. Other than a tall 1st gear, and these guys started in 2nd, the gen5 has the 3.55s vs the 3.07s in the ACR, moving to the 3.55s is a dream mod for prev gen vipers and a big plus for the gen5. T

he ACR is carrying a lot more weight in down force, that's for sure, so it's surprising to me it pulled so much on the gen5, expecially on the top-end, I would've thought they'd trade positions about 100mph or so.

Oh, and if you have an '08 ACR with only 5,000 mis on it, you need to sell it to someone who'll drive it. ;-)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because if they raced to 150 mph, then the Gen V would have had to shift to 5th gear to do so. The Gen V only goes to 138-140 mph in 4th. The Gen 3/4 cars can pull to 160 in 4th, which is a lot better gearing and 1 less shift than the Gen V 5th gear.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because if they raced to 150 mph, then the Gen V would have had to shift to 5th gear to do so. The Gen V only goes to 138-140 mph in 4th. The Gen 3/4 cars can pull to 160 in 4th, which is a lot better gearing and 1 less shift than the Gen V 5th gear.

Is there anything better about the gen5 for Pete's sake?

Seems like there's always something, now it's slower by design than a gen4 - an ACR no less with full aero weight on it.

At we've got nice leather and traction control. LoL

OK, I still love it, but geesh, sometimes I wonder if it's because I'm sippin the SRT cool aide. Any who ...

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the 500 Miles on the Gen V is part of the reason.. The guy could have had easy break in miles on it ... I think when the Gen V gets
5k miles on it and its been driven like it was meant to be driven it will wake up a little more....always seemed that way with my cars...
Do you think the lighter wheels. more miles on the engine and lighter fuel load contributed to the ACR being quicker??

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does a stock Vipergen v run in the 1/4 and what is the trap? I know a gen 4 his the high 10s stock.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 "can" hit high-10s stock, but that isn't the norm. Only a handful have done it, on well prepped tracks, in good air. They typically run 11.2-11.3 for the vast majority of them. Gen 5 should be a little quicker due to the 3.55 gears.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. I recall that the Gen IV's were on par with the ZR1 to 150+ mph in mag and some owner tests IIRC. In testing against the ZR1, however, the Gen V was consistantly 1 sec behind the ZR1 to 150mph in multiple mag tests.

Not to bench race mag numbers but it seems they are consistant with the outcome of Flatouts race the OP quoted. Ive read that the Gen V's gearing was optimized for the track so it will not be ideal for 0-150+ runs against cars like the ZR1 and Gen IV Vipers.

Last edited:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know MT hit 11.3 with the TA they tested and usually we easily find guys that beat the mag times. Persoanlly I usually land right on the mag #s for whatever reason, but we have some pretty good hot-foots around.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9Ball did not mean it as a slam. The emphasize in the G5 is the track, the earlier cars never had good gears for a high speed track. Personally I like the the new gearing, except for drag racing. Its all about picking your poison, if you were to race a G4 vs G5 and started at 30 mph and raced to 140 mph, the G5 would be an easy winner.

Seems like there's always something, now it's slower by design than a gen4 - an ACR no less with full aero weight on it.

OK, I still love it, but geesh, sometimes I wonder if it's because I'm sippin the SRT cool aide. Any who ...

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What if they raced to 170? LOL... Who cares?

Bill

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9Ball did not mean it as a slam. The emphasize in the G5 is the track, the earlier cars never had good gears for a high speed track. Personally I like the the new gearing, except for drag racing. Its all about picking your poison, if you were to race a G4 vs G5 and started at 30 mph and raced to 140 mph, the G5 would be an easy winner.
Oh I know, I was being cheeky, sorry. LoL

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Posted by member on VA:

Remember Gents

The Gen 5 TA (coming shortly) is only slightly faster around Laguna than the old ACR, by 0.3 seconds. So these cars are pretty close together on a moderate road course.

But if you, like most of us, drive your car on the street, and listen to radio, you might find the new Gen 5 car a LOT more liveable than our loveable old ACR. ;) Heck, even the new Gen 5 GTS without the aero package still lapped Laguna within 0.2 seconds of the old ACR, even with all that leather and 18 speakers on board!! Dang...

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember Gents

The Gen 5 TA (coming shortly) is only slightly faster around Laguna than the old ACR, by 0.3 seconds. So these cars are pretty close together on a moderate road course.

But if you, like most of us, drive your car on the street, and listen to radio, you might find the new Gen 5 car a LOT more liveable than our loveable old ACR. ;) Heck, even the new Gen 5 GTS without the aero package still lapped Laguna within 0.2 seconds of the old ACR, even with all that leather and 18 speakers on board!! Dang...

I think what this thread is referring to is that the Gen V should be doing better in a straight line than it has been.

Gustfront

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I bet if you have equal drivers, that the new Gen V is faster then a Gen 4 ACR. It's a matter of physics. Since I decided to get an ACR, I have been learning a lot from people here and some owners that have the cars. I think you mentioned it already. The only place where the ACR (Gen 4) would have an advantage would be around the mid to top of 4th gear. But, the ACR is making a bunch of downforce at that speed so it's advantage is gone. The gearing on the Gen V is going to be quicker through to 4th.

When I get my ACR, and I get used to shifting it properly, I would be willing to run against a Gen V. I bet I'll be about 1 to 1 1/2 lenghts behind around 140-150. I can't wait :)
Wade

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of back and forth in this thread, but the facts are that the speeds are what dictated the outcome of the race. Take 10 mph off and the Gen5 would have faired better, add 20 mph to it and watch the Gen4s poor 5th gear ratio hinder it. With the kind of torque these motors make, the final gear ratios are going to have less of an effect at high speed, the outcome at that terminal speed is right were it should be.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a nice video coming soon, being uploaded now.

And, it will be a new thread. Short summary, the SRT Track Pack is indeed faster than the Gen 4 ACR. In a straight line, anyways.

Tony

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The above 3 vids rather convincingly illustrate Gen 5's acceleration dominance over the prior Gen in a material way - impressive. You really didn't think that SRT would put out a car that was 'slower' than the last iteration did you?:nono:

Thanks to those involved in rolling the tape and sharing with the rest of us.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Nasty top end pull the G5 had on that 08 ACR. would be nice to see how the G5 stacked up against the 2010 ACR from 0-150+ then against a ZR1 from same speeds real world.

Last edited:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Maybe the guys from Mopar Nationals will chime in from yesterday's race. Don't know the prep on either car, Gen 4 Snakeskin Green ACR vs. Red/Black Stripes 2013. Both ran about 11.5.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR is set up like a tractor pull race. The faster it goes the harder the air brakes are working. It's so painfully obvious as the new car pulls away fom the older car as if it had an extra 200 HP. A better race would be with a stock 2010 non ACR vs a stock 2013. Drag races at the track or on the street are not always indicative of superiority of the car, just the driver. In this video however it's pretty clear how disadvantaged the ACR becomes at speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang