2012 GT-R takes down the ACR's record?

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
c'mon.....you guys really think youre gonna raise this kind of capital just because a few guys are heartbroken that perhaps a faster car will come out very soon and beat 7:22?
I don't recall anyone one here being heartbroken. No one has their ******* in a ***. At least not yet :lmao:

Try looking at this in a different venue... Take horse racing for example. This group of rabid race fans believes our horse "Fangs" can win. We won once, but felt the horse had a little left in the tank. The posters in this thread are wagering "Fangs" can do it again. Maybe he does, and maybe he doesn't... Time will tell.

If in fact the cost of the trip can be done for $40k, that is like every VOI attendee shelling out a wager of $66.67 to see if their horse actually did have a little left in the tank! Come up with this thread a couple of weeks ago, and our wager would have probably been set from VOI alone.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't recall anyone one here being heartbroken. No one has their ******* in a ***. At least not yet :lmao:

Try looking at this in a different venue... Take horse racing for example. This group of rabid race fans believes our horse "Fangs" can win. We won once, but felt the horse had a little left in the tank. The posters in this thread are wagering "Fangs" can do it again. Maybe he does, and maybe he doesn't... Time will tell.

If in fact the cost of the trip can be done for $40k, that is like every VOI attendee shelling out a wager of $66.67 to see if their horse actually did have a little left in the tank! Come up with this thread a couple of weeks ago, and our wager would have probably been set from VOI alone.

I know, talk about bad timing!!!!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very logical. Point taken. Well it would be nice to see a back to back race on VIR, Laguna etc between the 09 and 10 ACR by the same driver, same day etc just to get as close to a real conclusion between these two as possible.

I do wonder how the revised gear would benefit the ACR if it could never see the 14 sec gain to 200mph because of that downforce. 160mph in 4th and tops out at what 180+ in 5th with the new gearing? So would that translate to the 2010 ACR getting to 180+ [top speed drag limited] about 7 seconds faster than the 09's?

If 5th gear is never grabbed, then I believe there will be no difference since I don't think anyone will log a diff btwn the '09 and the '10 winglets and its a mod to make the car feel more stable at high speeds (I don't let out due to instability, so I doubt someone with the exp of Colonel would do so) not nec go faster.

So as I see it, the issue is how much would you use 5th gear at the Ring, if at all? I don't know, but it seems to me that if Colonel never grabbed 5th making his record setting run in an '09, it is questionable whether he would grab 5th in a '10. I think he could tell you, so maybe before anyone spends $40-50k of VCA money, someone should get in touch with him.

Keep in mind that some drivers like the feel of less revs. Cindy Lux (based on things she has posted about high revving engines) would prob use 5th gear as much as anyone, and she is a Dodge test driver who I think has tested the '10 as much as any Pro...so maybe someone should get her input. I would be curious if she uses 5th at MMP, where on the Outer Loop I would redline in 4th on the main straight. That would prob be a good track (Outer Loop) to test the two cars. I have never run with a '10 there, but would be happy to show up with my '09, however, my car has some mods and upgrades so we would have to find a '10 with similar mods to make a valid comparison. Keep in mind that these cars vary on the dyno about 20 mph right off the truck, so the best comparison would be two stock cars that dyno the same and then use the same driver on the same day on a track where 5th gear is usable.

As for the 7 secs diff btwn an '09 and '10 going from 160 to 180, I think that's a high estimate, but I really don't know. Again, maybe ask Cindy.

Personally, I think I would rather spend my money on a VCA raffle ticket and see the surplus go toward more VCA/Dodge presence at USA race events. ;)

Last edited:

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was looking at SVT Performace forums and came across this interesting post...

So while Nissan says it can lap the Ring in 7:20 min this time around, an unbiased magazine "Sport Auto" was the first magazine to drive the new 2011 GT-R around the Ring and did it in 7:34 min in near perfect conditions.

The 7:20 time derives from an incomplete translation from the Japanese press material. The official time currently stands at 7:26.22.

Why do Porsche and Nissan always quote those unofficial times?
Nissan even more so than Porsche. - TristateZ28Lt1

You must be registered for see images attach

Sportauto: New GT-R laps Ring in 7:34 - Teamspeed.com

Original article if you can speak German:
Nissan GT-R 2011 im ersten Nordschleifen-Test | sport auto

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that, the ZR1 blew right by the Viper as soon as the Viper went into 5th gear.... I've done the 1 mile events with my ACR, it gets to 160 MPH quick in 4th gear, but as soon as the car goes into 5th, it's slow....

did anyone see battle of the supercars episode where they ran the gen 4 viper coupe against the zr1?
the comparison bore out the fact that 5th gear is geared too tall in the viper.
in top speed runs or standing mile runs (i forget which or maybe both) the viper was ahead till he hit 5th gear. the race was lost due to the tall 5th gear, as admitted by the driver. the viper had a nice lead till he shifted out of 4th.

for most of us mere mortals, how many times are we gonna race someone or something past 165?
how many of you will even see the ring in person, let alone drive on it? or race on it at that level?
just sayin.

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Sport Auto" who are they and what makes them "official"? I'm sure Nissan's driver who knows the GT-R and the ring blindfolded would run rings around just about anyone else driving the GT-R...

So while Nissan says it can lap the Ring in 7:20 min this time around, an unbiased magazine "Sport Auto" was the first magazine to drive the new 2011 GT-R around the Ring and did it in 7:34 min in near perfect conditions.

The 7:20 time derives from an incomplete translation from the Japanese press material. The official time currently stands at 7:26.22.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

these are also there other times to compare it too. All from sportauto, same driver.

also, there is no "official" time, but I would take the manufactures claim as more "official" then anything else. Also, the car did the 7:34 with only 3 laps.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw that, the ZR1 blew right by the Viper as soon as the Viper went into 5th gear.... I've done the 1 mile events with my ACR, it gets to 160 MPH quick in 4th gear, but as soon as the car goes into 5th, it's slow....

disappointing to say the least.
i was surprised to see the viper so far ahead. that revised gearing for the '10 models should have been standard in 08.

are there any 10 acr's in europe that can be commissioned to run this thing rather than buying and shipping a car back and forth?

avilab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
disappointing to say the least.
i was surprised to see the viper so far ahead. that revised gearing for the '10 models should have been standard in 08.

are there any 10 acr's in europe that can be commissioned to run this thing rather than buying and shipping a car back and forth?

I'm hoping there's one here to cut costs. But even if the car comes from the States, I think the total cost is reasonable if we have enough people pitch in.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about the following to pay for it.

Donations
$100 - Name on car
$500 - Name on car plus name shown as donor on"The fastest production car" video.
$1500 - Small Business Logo (8"x4") on car plus listed at the end of the video.
$3000 - Medium Business Logo (12"x6") on car plus listed at the end of the video.
$6000 - Large Business Logo (20"x10") on car plus listed at the first of the video after Main Sponsors.
$10000 - Main Sponsor Business Logo (30"x15") on car plus listed at the first of the video.

Or just have another raffle... haha

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that some drivers like the feel of less revs. Cindy Lux (based on things she has posted about high revving engines) would prob use 5th gear as much as anyone, and she is a Dodge test driver who I think has tested the '10 as much as any Pro...so maybe someone should get her input. I would be curious if she uses 5th at MMP, where on the Outer Loop I would redline in 4th on the main straight. That would prob be a good track (Outer Loop) to test the two cars.

Cindy is getting ready for Spring Mountain with a race in a day & a half... She sounded willing to talk about the 4th-5th gear thing... Just too busy this close to a race.

Maybe she can give her input after SM :headbang:

stingray23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Sport Auto" who are they and what makes them "official"? I'm sure Nissan's driver who knows the GT-R and the ring blindfolded would run rings around just about anyone else driving the GT-R...

Exactly! I'm sick and tired of hearing about Sport Auto. If you notice their list and times, ALL are European sports cars with fast times. look at some of the times for the Vettes. much slower then other published times. I never pay mind to Sport Auto.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2011 GTR got 7:24?

The records been beat by the porsche GT2 RS and the Gumpert apollo. If the GTR did beat the record I'd give credit to where credit is due and not make excuses like half of you people are saying a mule or not the production model or blah blah blah. You guys are sounding like the Zr-1 people when the viper beat it at the ring. Grow up people.

And why would y'all spend all this money now to ship out an ACR when a new ones coming out and will get the record back again?

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked Herb what it cost to do the record attempt... Here are his replies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Kala....

I'll inquire on the cost. I'll assume you want to know what the company spent to get the car and the guys over there as well as what it cost to hire Tom C. and rent the track....right??......GK

Bob P answered and said right. Please advise...

GK then posted this...

Kala....

The SRT guys said it cost about 45k, 32k of which goes to the ring for an 8hr rental. The guys only had 4 hrs. Mike said if he had it to do over again he'd get an additional 4hrs the following day, just in case. He also mentioned that the trick is getting in their schedule. They're usually booked out 12 months in advance.......GK

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the story on the different times. Link??

Look on the "Ring" times on Google, then look at the subtext it says they ran a 7:24 for the press but then later, when nobody was arount to verify, they ran a 7:20.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The 2011 GTR got 7:24?

The records been beat by the porsche GT2 RS and the Gumpert apollo.

The Porsche never beat the record. The times for all the sections of the track were added up by Porsche to come up with the time. The time posted was not after a full lap attempt. Plus, no one else was present to verify anyhow.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Porsche never beat the record. The times for all the sections of the track were added up by Porsche to come up with the time. The time posted was not after a full lap attempt. Plus, no one else was present to verify anyhow.

So am I to understand that the 2008 ACR time of 7:22 still stands?:dunno:

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe you but just out of curiosity do you have a link to this?

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, it was still beaten along time ago by the gumpert apollo

REPORT: Gumpert Apollo Sport sets new production car lap "record" at Nürburgring — Autoblog

Even though its extremely exepensive and rare, its still a production car.

7:11;57???:omg: That's nearly 11 sec. better.:( Some optimists think 7:10 is possible in a 2010 Viper ACR. Is this number realistic? Or is it too much to ask? With the upgraded suspension, the minor wing change, and the new 5th gear ratio?

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If 5th gear is never grabbed, then I believe there will be no difference since I don't think anyone will log a diff btwn the '09 and the '10 winglets and its a mod to make the car feel more stable at high speeds (I don't let out due to instability, so I doubt someone with the exp of Colonel would do so) not nec go faster.

So as I see it, the issue is how much would you use 5th gear at the Ring, if at all? I don't know, but it seems to me that if Colonel never grabbed 5th making his record setting run in an '09, it is questionable whether he would grab 5th in a '10. I think he could tell you, so maybe before anyone spends $40-50k of VCA money, someone should get in touch with him.

Keep in mind that some drivers like the feel of less revs. Cindy Lux (based on things she has posted about high revving engines) would prob use 5th gear as much as anyone, and she is a Dodge test driver who I think has tested the '10 as much as any Pro...so maybe someone should get her input. I would be curious if she uses 5th at MMP, where on the Outer Loop I would redline in 4th on the main straight. That would prob be a good track (Outer Loop) to test the two cars. I have never run with a '10 there, but would be happy to show up with my '09, however, my car has some mods and upgrades so we would have to find a '10 with similar mods to make a valid comparison. Keep in mind that these cars vary on the dyno about 20 mph right off the truck, so the best comparison would be two stock cars that dyno the same and then use the same driver on the same day on a track where 5th gear is usable.

As for the 7 secs diff btwn an '09 and '10 going from 160 to 180, I think that's a high estimate, but I really don't know. Again, maybe ask Cindy.

Personally, I think I would rather spend my money on a VCA raffle ticket and see the surplus go toward more VCA/Dodge presence at USA race events. ;)

Boxer watch the Ring ACR vid, he uses 5th alot, especially down that long back straight. The revised gearing would make a substancial difference in my opinion.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
7:11;57???:omg: That's nearly 11 sec. better.:( Some optimists think 7:10 is possible in a 2010 Viper ACR. Is this number realistic? Or is it too much to ask? With the upgraded suspension, the minor wing change, and the new 5th gear ratio?
I'm far from an expert, but I don't think we are at 7:10 :omg:

IF seconds were left behind (rev limiter, gearing etc) with the 7:22 run.

AND most thought we could do teens, in that run, on a perfect day, with the perfect car etc.

I don't see how we get to 10's with just gearing on a 2010. I think if we got into the teens (mid to high), we could call it a good day.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can tell you going thorugh the tri-oval @ Daytona with a usable 5th gear was huge. I wish Viper Days hadn't been cancelled this year there but they were repaving. Obviously every track isn't a super speedway but being able to still to pull hard all the way to 180 instead of 160 was huge. The only car that could pass me on the banking was a modded FGT.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boxer watch the Ring ACR vid, he uses 5th alot, especially down that long back straight. The revised gearing would make a substancial difference in my opinion.

And don't forget the three times he uses fifth when he wanted third, that takes off a few seconds for sure!:2tu:

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 40K includes rental of the Ring in my estimate which is now deemed a bit low as 4 hr Ring rental is about 32K. However, i was not that far off. I know track rentals in US but Ring is much bigger track and more in demand.
PAVenomRT/10

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you going thorugh the tri-oval @ Daytona with a usable 5th gear was huge. I wish Viper Days hadn't been cancelled this year there but they were repaving. Obviously every track isn't a super speedway but being able to still to pull hard all the way to 180 instead of 160 was huge. The only car that could pass me on the banking was a modded FGT.

I am not doubting what you are saying, but you are the only person I have ever heard of whose Gen 4 Viper will "pull hard" in 5th gear except guys with 3.33 gears (if you have those, then I am surprised you didn't lose some top end speed in 5th). Were you guys using timing or data at Daytona? Do you have lap time comparisons between an 09 and a 10? What exactly are the diff in lap times, top speed, and time/distance to top speed (eg. 160-180)?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agreed. Here is a datalog of 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear rpm/mph of one of my standing mile runs. Notice how much flatter the rpm curve gets in 5th gear. Would love to see what the .80 5th gear looks like in comparison. Anyone????

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not doubting what you are saying, but you are the only person I have ever heard of whose Gen 4 Viper will "pull hard" in 5th gear except guys with 3.33 gears (if you have those, then I am surprised you didn't lose some top end speed in 5th). Were you guys using timing or data at Daytona? Do you have lap time comparisons between an 09 and a 10? What exactly are the diff in lap times, top speed, and time/distance to top speed (eg. 160-180)?

I'm in a Gen 2 with a 3.45 rear gear. My point was being able to actually use and pull in 5th does make a big difference.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi