2012 GT-R takes down the ACR's record?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a full day of training/running with a 2010, I can see the 2010 ACR breaking 7:15 easily, 7:10 a real possibility.

Can somebody lend me a 2010 ACR, I will volunteer my time to take this challenge on..........................:D

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a full day of training/running with a 2010, I can see the 2010 ACR breaking 7:15 easily, 7:10 a real possibility.

Can somebody lend me a 2010 ACR, I will volunteer my time to take this challenge on..........................:D

Here it is boys, the next ring leader.

picture.php

The car has 350 miles on it. I will put it up on the condition that the same driver drives it that set the 08 record, Tom Coronel. He obviously knows the ring and has driven a Viper, that is one better than his first record setting run. My second and only other possibility would be Fireball (Greg Phillips). He has no ring experience, but he knows the limits of an ACR.

So are we going for it, or is this thread BS?

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
then what happens when the porsche gt2 breaks the record?
noble cause, but save your money guys.
every year something comes out faster.
let dodge do their own PR.

I dont know that 7.22 record has been standing for quite a while now...porshe claimed to beat it but it was later confirmed that porshe did the ring in timed sections or what the equivalency to BS...

ferrari claimed to beat it but it was found that it was a non streetable 1.4 miliion dollar race car...

Now the GTR throws out a 7.20 from a model that dosent even exist and now it's confirmed to really be a 7.24 ..

hell the Zr1 guys even went back and tried again and still came up short of the 7.22

that 7.22 is kicking a$$ for more than a lil while now and a authentic 7.teen would just make it that much sweeter and last that much longer..Id suspect it wouldnt be beaten till possibly 2014-2015 when an ACR gen5 emerges..

I really think we should do this

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let Dodge take the heat. Its there child.

There always room for improvement.. if Dodge really wants to kick GT-R, they could, and then Nissan can do the same thing in return.

Slowly the mutation process develops a real race car... so even faster lap times was only a big part of Dodge's goal with the ACR but not nearly all of it.

Then the bean counters come in... marketing strategists, handcuffing engineers, reducing ******** risks for sales sake, passing federal regulations and leaving something on the table for future talk and sticking profitable yet fair price tag on the window.

Uh oh.. we just lost 20 seconds there guys.

You want a race car.. go build one, get a driver or learn to drive and go kick GT-R. Seriously you will win, if its so important.

After couple minor things to my Copperhead to really take it over the top it will be complete and much better than an ACR.

I'm seriously gonna add the 2012 GT-R to my garage.

The GT-R is a beast, very different from a Viper and its got great heritage and everything else its proven thus far.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind owning a 2012 GT-R either! This "ring" time stuff w/out a doubt is great conversation and bragging rights but that's all it is, really means nothing in the real world b/c the cars being compared differ in so many ways! I think the GT-R @ 3700 pounds and only 480hp really is an amazing car but keep in mind it's an AWD and we all know AWD is really not a traditional sports/race car application! I really am not sure if the GT-R is in any race series either, whether it b/c of the AWD or not! I don't follow the product but I do know they are a lot of bang for the buck and deserve the accolades they get and as I said, I wouldn't mind owning one! The GT2RS has been mentioned as the new king too, again how very different of a car, twin turbo and only 3050 pounds, that is an immense diff. from the ACR or GT-R. And don't forget you can get a new ACR a new GT-R and have lots of money left over for mods in comparison to a GT2RS.:D I own a GT3RS which is normally aspirated and also only weighs just over 3000 lbs. but is "only" 450 hp so it doesn't quite keep up with the normally aspirated big hp cars at the "ring" but it does real well just the same, 7:30 something, never looked it up! And lastly the only way to really do these comparisons is under the same weather conditions with the same driver and the knowledge that none of the cars have been diverted from factory spec, then we can really see who is the "king of the ring". For now though in my book it's our beloved Viper so don't hate on the other amazing machines coming from other companies! BTW, let's not forget our American killer the ZR1 which is another car I wouldn't mind owning!! JMO my fellow Viper fans, look forward to some banter!!:2tu:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why everyone is saying the GT-R model doesn't exist...it's all confirmed from Nissan and the car will be available in the Spring of next year...530 hp, 451 lb...

OFFICIAL 2012 INFO..530HP 451 lb-ft tq - NAGTROC - The Nissan GT-R Owners Club
I think because its not actually in production. right now it's a one off model or mule...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This thread has really made me grin from ear to ear this morning. I think we gotta find out some more info for sure.

Main board stats are 1893 active members. I know the majority of our local So Cal club doesn't post here on the main forum. If we got 900 members to pitch in that $40k is very reachable. How many attended the VOI 11?

I bet we could do this...

EDIT: I just posted in the Grail Trail asking Herb if he can find out how much $ we are actually talking about. Hopefully he can get an answer...

Last edited:

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next VCA raffle - trip to the Ring to watch a donated ACR brake the so called new record ( I am sure we can borrow a new ACR from a dealer- who wouldn't want to get back the record holding car) Lets go VCA this one would be a sell out and now the VCA would be heroes to the whole Dodge world.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate and concur in the spirit of this thread...Dodge puts up real numbers and the others have been debunked. That being said, and I don't want to sound pessimistic, but unless Dodge or someone proves that the '10 is faster than an '09, I don't believe it. I have real doubts about the revised 5th gear...these cars just die in 5th and I haven't read one word to the contrary. Kuno never used 5th gear at VIR during the UTCC. Nobody has actually beaten any '09 time with a '10 that I am aware of, even with all the driving tests which have used the '10. I suspect that using 5th gear will slow the car down. Will the revised rear wing endplates yield SECONDS on the Ring? I doubt it. I suspect the whole 'new gear and revised wing for even faster Ring times' was just a way to sell the remaining ACR's. It worked, and they never had to prove it. Why do it now?? Just my 2c.

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Dodge reported a 14 second pickup to 200 MPH with the revised 5th gear on the coupe? and the ACR picked up 5 MPH in top speed?

Personally, unless Dodge or someone proves that the '10 is faster than an '09, I don't believe it. I have real doubts about the revised 5th gear...these cars just die in 5th and I haven't read one word to the contrary, even with all the driving tests which have used the '10. Using 5th gear will slow the car down. Will the revised rear wing endplates yield SECONDS on the Ring? I doubt it. I suspect the whole 'new gear and revised wing for even faster Ring times' was just a way to sell the remaining ACR's. It worked, and they never had to prove it. Why do it now?? Just my 2c.

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
anyone wanna bet that this whole scenario WON'T happen...this talk of breaking a record and raffle of the car is all well and good but what if for one reason or another (mechanical, weather, etc.) the record isn't taken back....then what?....and how long before something else breaks the record again....we live in an ever changing automative world...the holder of the 'ring will also be a constant change....lets just sit back and relax and wait for the Gen V ACR....

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Dodge reported a 14 second pickup to 200 MPH with the revised 5th gear on the coupe? and the ACR picked up 5 MPH in top speed?

OK, let me clarify, I am talking about actual race tracks times. That being said, has anyone actually ever posted a 200 mph run in a stock ACR (I think its more like 180)? Top speed is probably theoretical, and even if top speed is bumped up a bit, is that going to yield seconds at the Ring. How long is the car running at actual top speed? I didn't even think Colonel went into 5th gear, but I haven't looked at the video in over a year.

I also want to clarify that I an not 'naysaying' SRT claims, and I applaud them for using improved Ring times as their design inspiration...but we all know that things don't always work out in the real world as it does on the computer. The improvements were meant to be real Ring improvements, I am just wondering if theory has panned out because I don't know of any '10 that has proven faster than an '09 at the track.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im trying hard to ignore one particlular member in this thread but he's like a fly that just wont go away:)
You must be registered for see images

avilab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think because its not actually in production. right now it's a one off model or mule...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This thread has really made me grin from ear to ear this morning. I think we gotta find out some more info for sure.

Main board stats are 1893 active members. I know the majority of our local So Cal club doesn't post here on the main forum. If we got 900 members to pitch in that $40k is very reachable. How many attended the VOI 11?

I bet we could do this...

EDIT: I just posted in the Grail Trail asking Herb if he can find out how much $ we are actually talking about. Hopefully he can get an answer...

Sounds great. Like I posted earlier, I'll start out with the first $1,000. So we only need $39,000 more.

Someone do the cost estimate and I'll put the money in the appropriate account within days to keep the momentum going. And I'll be happy to contribute a big chunk to the food bill as well.

avilab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is boys, the next ring leader.

picture.php

The car has 350 miles on it. I will put it up on the condition that the same driver drives it that set the 08 record, Tom Coronel. He obviously knows the ring and has driven a Viper, that is one better than his first record setting run. My second and only other possibility would be Fireball (Greg Phillips). He has no ring experience, but he knows the limits of an ACR.

So are we going for it, or is this thread BS?

Beautiful car, by the way! :)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate and concur in the spirit of this thread...Dodge puts up real numbers and the others have been debunked. That being said, and I don't want to sound pessimistic, but unless Dodge or someone proves that the '10 is faster than an '09, I don't believe it. I have real doubts about the revised 5th gear...these cars just die in 5th and I haven't read one word to the contrary. Kuno never used 5th gear at VIR during the UTCC. Nobody has actually beaten any '09 time with a '10 that I am aware of, even with all the driving tests which have used the '10. I suspect that using 5th gear will slow the car down. Will the revised rear wing endplates yield SECONDS on the Ring? I doubt it. I suspect the whole 'new gear and revised wing for even faster Ring times' was just a way to sell the remaining ACR's. It worked, and they never had to prove it. Why do it now?? Just my 2c.

A 2010 ACR beat the old 09 ACR Laguna Seca record by over 1.1 seconds. Id call that real proof. That's 1.1+ secs in 2.2 miles on a track that's waaaay shorter and far less technical than the Nurburgring. Id imagine that with 12.9 miles of track it would eclipse the old ACR's Ring record with relative ease by many seconds. My humble opinion:)

Last edited:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a lot of "room" to use 5th gear at the ring....and yes, I believe a 2009/2010 ACR would be faster with the right driver :2tu:

Get the xbox and Forza :D

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet the time could be improved to under 7:20 without having to use a 2010. Not to diminish the skill of the driver that set the record but after watching the 7:22 lap, I noticed the driver missed a total of 2 shifts and almost every time he upshifted he waited until the engine slamed the rev-limiter before going to a higher gear. Also, there were times he help the gear on the rev limiter for a few seconds instead of shifting to a higher gear. Now I've raced motorcycles for over 12 years and anytime I went to a track where i found myself "in between" gears between corners I would short-shift slightly to avoid running the engine on the rev limiter for an extended period of time. I'm willing to bet with all those improvements that driver could do a sub 7:20 lap time.

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no acr will go 200MPH, they bumped the top speed from 174 to 180 with the gear and slight aero changes.... but anytime the car is in 5th gear, it will make a difference......

OK, let me clarify, I am talking about actual race tracks times. That being said, has anyone actually ever posted a 200 mph run in a stock ACR (I think its more like 180)? Top speed is probably theoretical, and even if top speed is bumped up a bit, is that going to yield seconds at the Ring. How long is the car running at actual top speed? I didn't even think Colonel went into 5th gear, but I haven't looked at the video in over a year.

I also want to clarify that I an not 'naysaying' SRT claims, and I applaud them for using improved Ring times as their design inspiration...but we all know that things don't always work out in the real world as it does on the computer. The improvements were meant to be real Ring improvements, I am just wondering if theory has panned out because I don't know of any '10 that has proven faster than an '09 at the track.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 2010 ACR beat the old 09 ACR Laguna Seca record by over 1.1 seconds. Id call that real proof. That's 1.1+ secs in 2.2 miles on a track that's waaaay shorter and far less technical than the Nurburgring. Id imagine that with 12.9 miles of track it would eclipse the old ACR's Ring record with relative ease by many seconds. My humble opinion:)

This is interesting speculation. Refresh my memory, but didn't Kuno Wittmer (a Pro) run the '10 at Laguna versus the 09 test which was an SRT engineer? I could be wrong on that one.

As far as running at the redline in 4th gear versus going into 5th gear, I don't know why but these cars die in 5th gear (YES, I have been at the redline in 4th and tried 5th on many occasion, incl VIR, Sebring, Mid-O, only to see my lap times suffer), and nobody uses it to my knowledge when racing. You can go 160 in 4th gear. So you can drop into 5th and actually slow down, then come up to 175 if you have a long enough straight, or just keep it in 4th. I talked to Kuno at the UTCC (VIR) and also Sebring, and at both tracks he said the 5th gear is worthless (even on VIR's long straights and the back straight at Sebring) and never used it. His video from VIR is proof...it's on the UTCC website. I doubt he used 5th at Laguna, so the slightly improved lap time is likely all driver or perhaps conditions, imo. Even Kuno will vary lap times by a sec at a track like VIR. Some guy supposedly ran 3 sec faster than Kuno at VIR during the VC (although the time was DQ'd), so don't put too much stock in a second with diff drivers in diff conditions.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is interesting speculation. Refresh my memory, but didn't Kuno Wittmer (a Pro) run the '10 at Laguna versus the 09 test which was an SRT engineer? I could be wrong on that one.

As far as running at the redline in 4th gear versus going into 5th gear, I don't know why but these cars die in 5th gear (YES, I have been at the redline in 4th and tried 5th on many occasion, incl VIR, Sebring, Mid-O, only to see my lap times suffer), and nobody uses it to my knowledge when racing. You can go 160 in 4th gear. So you can drop into 5th and actually slow down, then come up to 175 if you have a long enough straight, or just keep it in 4th. I talked to Kuno at the UTCC (VIR) and also Sebring, and at both tracks he said the 5th gear is worthless (even on VIR's long straights and the back straight at Sebring) and never used it. His video from VIR is proof...it's on the UTCC website. I doubt he used 5th at Laguna, so the slightly improved lap time is likely all driver or perhaps conditions, imo. Even Kuno will vary lap times by a sec at a track like VIR. Some guy supposedly ran 3 sec faster than Kuno at VIR during the VC (although the time was DQ'd), so don't put too much stock in a second with diff drivers in diff conditions.

Very logical. Point taken. Well it would be nice to see a back to back race on VIR, Laguna etc between the 09 and 10 ACR by the same driver, same day etc just to get as close to a real conclusion between these two as possible.

I do wonder how the revised gear would benefit the ACR if it could never see the 14 sec gain to 200mph because of that downforce. 160mph in 4th and tops out at what 180+ in 5th with the new gearing? So would that translate to the 2010 ACR getting to 180+ [top speed drag limited] about 7 seconds faster than the 09's?

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score

did anyone see battle of the supercars episode where they ran the gen 4 viper coupe against the zr1?
the comparison bore out the fact that 5th gear is geared too tall in the viper.
in top speed runs or standing mile runs (i forget which or maybe both) the viper was ahead till he hit 5th gear. the race was lost due to the tall 5th gear, as admitted by the driver. the viper had a nice lead till he shifted out of 4th.

for most of us mere mortals, how many times are we gonna race someone or something past 165?
how many of you will even see the ring in person, let alone drive on it? or race on it at that level?
just sayin.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
for most of us mere mortals, how many times are we gonna race someone or something past 165? ..All the time..
how many of you will even see the ring in person,..Been there.. let alone drive on it?..Done that too.. or race on it at that level?..I wish:)
just sayin.

3 out 4 ain't bad.

Whats your point?

I'm in for some $$$ too

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3 out 4 ain't bad.

Whats your point?

I'm in for some $$$ too

wow. id almost have sex with you. :)
no, just kidding.

c'mon.....you guys really think youre gonna raise this kind of capital just because a few guys are heartbroken that perhaps a faster car will come out very soon and beat 7:22?
automotive "records" dont stand very long. this is nothing but an ego exercise, but its still fun i guess.
good luck with it.