2015 Z06 specs leaked 620hp/650tq

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not from my experience. If the FI car has a proper cooling system it should not be affected by weather as much. In the summer my SRT Jeep (NA) is considerably slower the the X5M (TT) and a little slower than the Cayenne Turbo and ML63 (TT). In the winter however my Jeep is faster than the Cayenne Turbo and neck and neck with an X5M.

Summer SRT Jeep runs 13.1 winter runs 12.6
Summer X5M runs 12.5 winter runs 12.45

It would be helpful to know the weather at the time of the runs and whether or not both vehicles are stock or not. Is your X5 running stock levels of boost or did you crank it up, and is anything done to the Jeep?

If you take two of the same vehicle, with one being FI while the other being NA, both producing the same BHP, both cars will lose power as ambient temperature increases. The rate that the FI vehicle loses power would be greater than the NA once the temperature crosses a certain point - perhaps a point where the intercooler can no longer cool the intake charge efficiently to maintain a given level of boost.

If you plotted this trend on a graph, the FI engine could maintain its rated power longer than the NA as air temperature increased since the FI engine can compensate for the less dense hot air by increasing boost. Once the FI engine reaches its practical limit for increased boost, its power level would make a sharp decline, crossing the graph line of the NA motor. The FI engine would "bottom out" at a lower power level than the NA motor. As for proper cooling, there is a limit to how much space the components can occupy in the engine bay so optimal cooling component size and placement is not always possible.

purenxs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say that every Viper I've seen from every generation has had beautiful rich deep looking factory paint. It's one of the things that sets a Viper apart imo.

The paint on all the C7's I've seen is just awful. Most vette guys concur.

That is one of the qualities that have really attracted me to the Viper, excellent paint, quality interior, and hand built. The C7's in particular, the few that I have seen, have had quality control issues related to their paint. My C6 has excellent paint as Corvettes go, but decals for stripes and no where in the ball park of the Viper paint quality.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heat soak is not going to be a factor in 98% of the driving anyways. Unless you are running balls out for a 25 or 30 minute track session which most of the people are NOT going to be doing. Irrelevant and only speculative excuse. Not only that but unless the car completely shuts down, you still aren't going to pass it if it handles better.

IF.

On with the ACR!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I will say is that SRT is in big trouble if they pull the cover off of the Z06 next week and it looks like a cross between the C7 Z51 and a Gen4 ACR with some extreme aero and a true racer appearance...

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I will say is that SRT is in big trouble if they pull the cover off of the Z06 next week and it looks like a cross between the C7 Z51 and a Gen4 ACR with some extreme aero and a true racer appearance...

It's probably going to be the stingray with better parts and some subtle design cues...although it would be nice to see GM make an effort beyond a few badges to have their "premium" vette look recognizably different than the base model that costs 40-50% less.

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably going to be the stingray with better parts and some subtle design cues...although it would be nice to see GM make an effort beyond a few badges to have their "premium" vette look recognizably different than the base model that costs 40-50% less.

They did this with the last zo6 and zr1. Then they brought out the grand sport package, which going down the road looks just like the z cars provided it wasn't a convertible, but then they brought out the 427....

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is right from the Chevrolet website...

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to have to own one of these - This much I'm pretty sure of................

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is going to be one bad machine...The Gen.5,as is, will be dominated by this new Corvette...

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the same tires the TA will be faster especially in the heat and after many laps. The acr will destroy it.

With that said its a cool car. Zr1s heat soak like crazy when it's really hot and lapping hard. This will be the same.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This photo is interesting but it cannot be the real car. The wheel well clearance and the what looks like one inch clearance of the bottom of the front splitter from the ground are not possible for a street car from the manufacturer. There are other features that do not look right. It looks like a screen capture from a video game version of the car. But, with that said, the competition between Vette and Viper is a good thing for both.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does match the GM "Z06 Supercharged" picture regarding the fender lip flare and front splitter design that drops down vertically in front of the tire.

Hmmm, although it looks like a loose artists conception of what it might be, I do think the rear spoiler is the type that GM would use...not an all out wing like the ACR.

Just like any other first run Corvette, wait at least 18 months for them to get the bug worked out if looking to buy.....history always repeats itself :smirk:

Cheers,
George

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow... All it needs is a center band paint job...

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This Z06 looks better if those pics are representative of what they'll actually put on sale, but the front grill looks bad and the rear end is hideous. In any case, I welcome the competition...I don't know why everyone else is so concerned about the viper being "dethroned" - if this new vette really is faster than the Gen 5 is right now then that will force the viper to improve as well. You don't get to say you are the best if you are not always looking for ways to challenge yourself and improve.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the same tires the TA will be faster especially in the heat and after many laps. The acr will destroy it.

With that said its a cool car. Zr1s heat soak like crazy when it's really hot and lapping hard. This will be the same.

Far fetched.

Highly doubt the TA will be faster unless extreme temps after many laps. This car looks like it produces some mean DF. There is DF coming up through the radiator out of the hood, I think the vents behind the wheel wells are vents for the wheel wells and the mean front splitter all adding DF in the front and then the vents in back on the upper quarter panels plus the wing. It's all functional DF to put that 650 ft lbs to the ground. And the Corvette will certainly be easier to drive.

It's going to take the ACR to beat this car IMO.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Total TRANSFORMERS car! I like it, in a way because it will stand out from the C7 base car. But same as a GTR or TT, no thanks, I will stick with my Viper. ;):usa:

PS-my prediction...this C7z06 will be eaten alive by the new 'radical' ACR...save your money guys. (I don't think the 'real' competition from Viper has been released yet...)

So are they releasing this car in Tokyo?

Last edited:

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Far fetched.

Highly doubt the TA will be faster unless extreme temps after many laps.
It could be difficult to find out if over the course of a 20-30 minute hard fought track session the ZR1 brakes or other systems pack it in. It's ceramic brake system was toast after it's one record setting Laguna Seca lap. Not impressed with any Corvettes ability to hold together on track. This is going back to 2003, but I was at Road Atlanta doing a Panoz track school with a number of other Supra owners and a friend with a Z06. Brutal track on brakes, but after the first day he had cracked all 4 rotors, while I had almost worn through a set of stock pads. I changed pads and he scrambled to find a complete set of rotors and pads. I'm not sure they make them much more durable now, but I'm betting the TA will settle into hard track use until the tank is empty, the tires are corded, or the brakes are metal on metal. And I'll be testing that theory at that track in June.

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be difficult to find out if over the course of a 20-30 minute hard fought track session the ZR1 brakes or other systems pack it in. It's ceramic brake system was toast after it's one record setting Laguna Seca lap. Not impressed with any Corvettes ability to hold together on track. This is going back to 2003, but I was at Road Atlanta doing a Panoz track school with a number of other Supra owners and a friend with a Z06. Brutal track on brakes, but after the first day he had cracked all 4 rotors, while I had almost worn through a set of stock pads. I changed pads and he scrambled to find a complete set of rotors and pads. I'm not sure they make them much more durable now, but I'm betting the TA will settle into hard track use until the tank is empty, the tires are corded, or the brakes are metal on metal. And I'll be testing that theory at that track in June.

Hope to be there testing that out too!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get why people can't be happy two AMERICAN cars are leading the performance pack

SRT will answer, but - jeez be happy we are kicking the euro ass and taking names.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I am biased but I think that this is just as mean, if not meaner, than that depiction.
You must be registered for see images attach

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I am biased but I think that this is just as mean, if not meaner, than that depiction.

Same here Bob.

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get why people can't be happy two AMERICAN cars are leading the performance pack

SRT will answer, but - jeez be happy we are kicking the euro ass and taking names.

What he said. I have both and love them for what they are!

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Completely agree Bob. My strong preference is for the gorgeous, curvaceous Halle Berry naked on the beach Viper over the chiseled, uber modern edges on the Z06. It reminds me more and more of the GT-R, which I have respect for but no love of. It looks Japanese to me, although it is a mean looking, stylish car. Different strokes for different folks.

But I also agree with ViperSmith that it's a proud day to be an American. The Corvette and Viper rule the modern era of sports cars. Very different animals but absolute beasts at the track. I have a number of friends that are seriously considering this car and I hope they get it so we can spar on the track and push each other to be our best.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with the sentiment about trusting Vettes on track which is the only reason I don't have one. If I were seeking a car for ********* track duty, this would not be it. I would pick the Viper. But this will stay stock for me and be a casual DE car. With GM backing track use I would still use it for that.

I do not agree that road atlanta is ******* brakes. Its very easy on brakes actually with only a few big braking zones and plenty of cool down in between. Corvette brakes are just crappy from a longevity standpoint.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok I have to add something. The more I look at the black bolted on front fender flares mated to that funky poop-scoop splitter, the more they're bugging me. Why didn't they just flare the front fenders like they did the back fenders??? Just like the base C7, some styling elements are gorgeous, while some still **** like the rear end. It feels like another missed opportunity to do an elegant design.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not agree that road atlanta is ******* brakes.

I should clarify...Road Atlanta is brutal on brakes compared to other tracks like Road America, Mid-Ohio, Virginia Int'l, Watkin's Glen, Mosport, Mont Tremblant, among others...same car, brakes/pads, and driver. I would think that's largely because of T10A that's at the end of the long and fast back straight and the rather steep downhill brake zone into the tight 90* left. The rest of the brake demands are pretty typical. I don't doubt that there are more brake demanding tracks, and I'm curious which ones might be in your opinion.