THE NEW Z06 IS FASTER THAN THE VIPER

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette guys have to be thrilled to finally have something that can play with the big dogs.

At Sebring it didn't matter how well they were cornering, once we got into the straights there was no keeping.

I say welcome to the party just don't get too comfortable :)

;) Hhmmmm, I was at Sebring for the Viper Days event. I don't remember getting passed by many Vipers during those three days !!!

I run a "stock" Silver Z06 ( # 111 ), with the instructor's and I really enjoy Viper Days at both VIR & Sebring !

:) I expect the new C-6 Z06 may be " a little faster" !

2k1droptop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GR8 ASP. I agree with your post 100%, perhaps you phrased what I was trying to say better. I agree with your Chrsyler group comment. We have alot of execs in our sub.
I know Vipers draw respect and attention. Just not the crowds I hear about all of the time. That was my point.

I will send you a PM on the Yellow Viper it was a 2002.

I will say Hi next year at the shows when I see you.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think so because the GTS has a lower drag coefficient than the new Z06 or because the GTS has a lower gravitational constant than everything else?

Not everyone walks around with their skirts lifted; I always save a few tricks inside the bag. Partial advertising & false advertising are two different things.

Oh, and the only way a GTS with tubes and filters will be quicker than a C6 Z06 is if you dropped them both off the Empire State Building.

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last i checked this post wasent about which car turns more heads. The new Z06 simply outperforms the Viper and for the driver that likes to actually enjoy the driving experiance this is what matters the most. If you need a car to pull chicks you need help anyways! Personally i think the new SRT Coupe just simply looks like a SRT-10 with a GTS roof and rear end grafted onto it. It's very apparent that the folks at DC did not put much effort into the exterior design of the vehicle.
I'm sorry Travis are you lost? This is not the "rice-a-roni" car site. This would be the Viper site. Now run along little boy...

LOL i think i remember you from before, always defending the Viper when it was compared against Supra's and such. My post was not a personal attack against anyone on this forum but i see that your reply is one against me. We could arrange a little race between your big bad Viper and my little 4 door Lexus if you like.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow your quite the detective!!! Good job now run along little boy this is not "let's see who can put a rocket on a **** site" that would be at "supra's are us" car site.

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow your quite the detective!!! Good job now run along little boy this is not "let's see who can put a rocket on a **** site" that would be at "supra's are us" car site.

Haha. It's sad when a 1993 Supra has a nicer interior then a 2006 Viper...

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have to hotrod your Viper to go faster than the Z06, that's fine, so did I, but to then claim that the Viper is better as a result is exactly the same as the hotrodded Mustang/Supra/Vette/whatever crowd talking down the Viper. No, I take that back. It's worse since the Viper cost more to start with than the Z06 and you still have to hotrod it to go faster. And tell me it's not Nitrous!

And to top it off, the damn Z06 has no gas guzzler tax, it's just not right.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I wanted to know about the interior of a Supra then I'd go to the Supra forum. You may find that there aren't a lot of people that check the GenIII Viper forum to hear about Toyotas. You may also find that even though your dispute is with 1 person, your responses on a VIPER FORUM may not be met with great enthusiasm.

As for the Z06 being 'faster' than my Viper:

A. It will probably be close, but until you see production cars tested side by side you are just guessing.

B. 'Faster' Are you talking about straight line, 1/4 mile, 2 mile, roadcourse, racetrack or public streets?

C. There are lots of cars faster than my Viper. If that bothered me I'd unleash that big V-10 and be 'faster' than almost anything. It doesn't bother me. What is troubling is that the benchmark for so many people is what is 'faster.' That is a completely meaningless comparison. The performance of the Viper and so many other cars is waaaay beyond what anyone can safely use on public roads. If you want to use the potential and compare to see what is 'faster' then you will be on the track. On the track you aren't going to be comparing stock vs. stock. Anyone who is serious about racing is going to make tweeks and changes. So, all of the talk about what car is 'fastest' is starting to sound like 14 year old boys with copies of the newest car rag tucked away in their backpack.

Dirk

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I wanted to know about the interior of a Supra then I'd go to the Supra forum. You may find that there aren't a lot of people that check the GenIII Viper forum to hear about Toyotas. You may also find that even though your dispute is with 1 person, your responses on a VIPER FORUM may not be met with great enthusiasm.

As for the Z06 being 'faster' than my Viper:

A. It will probably be close, but until you see production cars tested side by side you are just guessing.

B. 'Faster' Are you talking about straight line, 1/4 mile, 2 mile, roadcourse, racetrack or public streets?

C. There are lots of cars faster than my Viper. If that bothered me I'd unleash that big V-10 and be 'faster' than almost anything. It doesn't bother me. What is troubling is that the benchmark for so many people is what is 'faster.' That is a completely meaningless comparison. The performance of the Viper and so many other cars is waaaay beyond what anyone can safely use on public roads. If you want to use the potential and compare to see what is 'faster' then you will be on the track. On the track you aren't going to be comparing stock vs. stock. Anyone who is serious about racing is going to make tweeks and changes. So, all of the talk about what car is 'fastest' is starting to sound like 14 year old boys with copies of the newest car rag tucked away in their backpack.

Dirk

You are still in denial. Stock vs. stock is a fair comparison, and the new Z06 is faster.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipah, for once I was on the same side of this fight as you are.

The Z06 may well end up being 'faster', but right now I know of no side by side test of a production Z06 and a production Viper. I'm not in denial, you are just making assumptions that the Z06 is faster based on different tests done on different days and not even tests on production cars.

Dirk

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Vette guys have to be thrilled to finally have something that can play with the big dogs.

At Sebring it didn't matter how well they were cornering, once we got into the straights there was no keeping.

I say welcome to the party just don't get too comfortable :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hhmmmm, I was at Sebring for the Viper Days event. I don't remember getting passed by many Vipers during those three days !!!

I run a "stock" Silver Z06 ( # 111 ), with the instructor's and I really enjoy Viper Days at both VIR & Sebring !

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasted my time reading this thread,my take.The new hypo option
corvette may be faster than a standard production Viper,as of yet
not a fact carved in stone.But GM took 14 years to catch up to
Viper performance,that is a fact!Gen-1 faster than era vets,Gen-2
faster than era vets,Gen-3 faster than era vets until the 4th year
of production.With this in mind I would expect to see some changes
or a Hypo option on the Viper.

Skeeter

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GR8 ASP. I agree with your post 100%, perhaps you phrased what I was trying to say better. I agree with your Chrsyler group comment. We have alot of execs in our sub.
I know Vipers draw respect and attention. Just not the crowds I hear about all of the time. That was my point.

I stopped by the mall today... came out after some shopping and a crowd of at least 12 surrounded my GTS. All the time? No, but often enough that it's actually annoying. And I live in northern california, where you can blindly throw a rock in any direction and have a good chance of hitting a ferarri.

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe this will help, it came from the road and track article where they tested their new zo6
"In terms of raw acceleration, the Z06 is world-class quick, though not quite a match for its cross-town Mopar rival, the Dodge Viper SRT-10. Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2-second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Z06 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10-powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper feels quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Z06."

SurfnSun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe this will help, it came from the road and track article where they tested their new zo6
"In terms of raw acceleration, the Z06 is world-class quick, though not quite a match for its cross-town Mopar rival, the Dodge Viper SRT-10. Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2-second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Z06 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10-powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper feels quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Z06."

Quoting the one mag that produced the slowest times of all by a half second doesn't help.

Has everyone not admitted yet that the Z is the faster stock car?? Same power, less weight(couple hundred pounds), larger power band....its not rocket science folks.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quoting the one mag that produced the slowest times of all by a half second doesn't help.

Has everyone not admitted yet that the Z is the faster stock car?? Same power, less weight(couple hundred pounds), larger power band....its not rocket science folks.
Hey Vette troll beat it. We don't care about Vettes around here...well maybe Leslie does LOL :D

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes but horsepower isnt everything, how about torque and its powercurve. Sounds just like a gm fan to come on a viper board and try to convince everyone that the ZO6 is better than a viper. Oh and remember the viper still has more horsepower than a z06 even after gm tried to cheat on the numbers and make a new way to calculate horsepower. After dodge put the viper on the new system to calculate horsepower it beat the zo6

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes but horsepower isnt everything, how about torque and its powercurve. Sounds just like a gm fan to come on a viper board and try to convince everyone that the ZO6 is better than a viper. Oh and remember the viper still has more horsepower than a z06 even after gm tried to cheat on the numbers and make a new way to calculate horsepower. After dodge put the viper on the new system to calculate horsepower it beat the zo6

Um how did GM "Cheat"?? :rolleyes:

GM was the first to use the new rating power, it prevents manufactors from overestimating/underestimating power figures.

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well they came up with a new way to calculate horspower then their zo6 had more horsepower, until recently dodge was able to use the same system and beat the zo6

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes same SAE cert. cars have always had the same hp it is the cert/measure system that has changed. so all viper owners got a bump in hp. thanks to the new math

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well they came up with a new way to calculate horspower then their zo6 had more horsepower, until recently dodge was able to use the same system and beat the zo6

If you really believe their intention was to "cheat" I really feel sorry for you. GM did NOT come up with the rating system rather they were just the first to abide by the new requirement for ALL auto manufactors.

Yeah, GM "cheated" to get a whopping 5hp. LOL

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheat is definitely the wrong word. I would say "emphasized" to their benefit. Nothing wrong with that but you read Z06 reviews and they all say 505 hp. But many of the later Viper Coupe reviews still quote the previous 500 hp numbers. So if anything GM marketing has used the info to their benefit.

As to GM having influence in standard setting (SAE) you are WRONG if you do not think GM plays a big, if not overwhelming role in the creation of SAE standards. But for this, and in general, the purpose is to provide a more consistent method of evaluating an engine. As you can see with the results the Asian brands have benefited more in the past by distorted results. Even with the new standard there are many facets that can be used improperly, to make the results more favorable.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Can you guess what river this is?
You must be registered for see images attach

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You shouls see how bonkers the ferrarichat folks went when their latest and greatest 430 was discussed against the Z06!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how the Nile fits into all of this but a change in subject is welcome.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Not sure how the Nile fits into all of this but a change in subject is welcome.

Not "the" Nile, but "De-nial"!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I shoulda known. If the poster was from Cjhicago I would of gotten it right away. Duh!

Quicksilver

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've owned my SRT10 for about two weeks now, and although
I've never raced a Zo6, I recognize the possibility that they are faster - the big problem is, however, they're still a [yawn] Corvette........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten