THE NEW Z06 IS FASTER THAN THE VIPER

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the rags, give up on the grandma drivers, skip the weather conditions and barometric pressures: A stock Corvette C6 Z06 will beat a stock Viper SRT-10 - convertible or Coupe - period. Oh it won't be by much, and different drivers will yield a few different outcomes in real life (great Viper driver will beat good Vette driver). But stock for stock, the Corvette Z06 will win the 0-60, 0-100, and quarter mile with equal drivers. For sure. The Viper will out-brake it, but those are bragging rights few of us carry around with us. And the Corvette is a performance bargain, with probably the least expensive "cost per tenth of a second" in the quarter mile of any car on the road. My sincerest congratulations to Dave Hill, the Corvette development team, and the entire GM Performance Division.

My fellow Viper brethren, it's time to begrudgingly give a polite round of applause for the Chevy. No matter whether it took fourteen years or fourteen months, they have finally bested the mighty Dodge. Let's show a little dignity and quit using all the excuses that we laughed at when we were on top: "More exclusive" (Ferrari), "more exotic looking" (Lamborghini), "it's only a Chevy/Dodge" (all of Europe), "with just a few mods mine can smoke it" (Mustang, Supra, etc.) - all are things at which we rolled our eyes when we were the Kings of Speed. Now we are using many of those same lines and more than a few folks are rolling their eyes at us, including some Viper owners (vipah, Warfang, safireviper, YouWish, Hirohawa, etc.) and wannabe owners (Mopar426, agentf1, etc.). AUTOMOBILE has always given the Viper a lot of positive press, and they did indeed test the Viper directly against the Z06 - and the Viper lost. So skip the excuses, give a polite tip of the hat to the Chevy, and don't give up just yet.

Oh yes, I am keeping my Viper. Hell, I may even add another one to the fleet if the right opportunity should knock. A slower, cartoonish car with day-before-yesterday's technology. You see, like the Corvette offers a unique ownership experience, so too does the Viper. Perhaps even more so. People will continue to flock to the Viper no matter what the magazines say. And most will still think it is King of the Hill despite the fact that the Ford GT actually took the title a while back. Nope, the Corvette can't take anything away from the Viper, except the dignity of a few owners that will argue against the facts.

And prepare yourself, as those facts will change. No winking, no nudging, no inside knowledge here. I am as much in the dark as anybody on the planet. However I do read the trade rags, I do read VIPER magazine, and I read the Wall Street Journal if I get really bored. And every one of them tells me that my Viper won't stay down for the count. Indeed, that count may barely get past "two". The latest VIPER magazine was so full of real promises from DC that you had to be blind to miss them (and many were). More importantly, the "C" side of "DC" is the most profitable "American" car company out there (quotation marks for our German father and American mother). And routinely turns out more radical cars in quicker fashion than any car company on the planet. GM and Ford don't need a halo car right now, they need a Chrysler 300.

Crossfires, PT Cruisers, Prowlers, the 300, the Magnum, Dodge full-size trucks, Pacifica, the (gulp) Charger. Oh yeah, and the Viper. All are a little off the beaten path and yet the company is the most healthy of any in the US. GM unleashes the GTO. Ford comes up with the 500. Neither the Z06 or GT can save them, nor slow down their parent's slide. Just look at the concept cars and you can see that DC is actually picking up the pace. Anybody want to take bets on when the first Firepower goes down the assembly line? (and at CAAP too, since it shares the Viper chassis) Just because you haven't seen or heard of a new Viper concept doesn't mean it isn't already in the works. Oh no, far, far from it. And it ain't the Firepower.

You see, the SRT division of Dodge is about winning in its class. Fastest in every segment: Sedan, compact, trucks, station wagons, SUV, etc. The GM Performance division has done an incredible job and finally caught up with the car that rightfully should have never have let that throne get away. While we can diss it all we want (and we seem to want to more often than not), our brothers across the pond already build some of the most powerful vehicles on the planet- can anyone say "AMG"? Mercedes technology has made its way into the US builds, witness the 300C. AMG builds some absolutely incredible cars. But they are not a halo vehicle for Dodge, for Chrysler, or certainly for the American side of the company. Nope, that title has long belonged to the Viper and the Viper alone. And that hasn't changed even a little bit with the introduction of the new Z06. The Viper remains THE personification of the SRT performance division, Dodge, and the entire US side of the company in general.

I have absolutely zero doubt that more than a few SRT execs are biting their tongues right now to the point of bleeding to death. When the SRT-10 came out it was pretty much a surprise to everyone. The Coupe, not so much (Viper owners saw that one even before the press got a gander). DC is surprisingly quick at moving a car from concept to production. The first Viper did it in an almost unheard of three years. And SRT/DC has known about most of the new Z06 specs for over a year. I don't need any winks or nudges to see the continued excitement and enthusiasm these SRT folks have for the Viper. Something is up, I just don't know what it is.

So to Dave Hill, GM, Chevrolet, and Corvette owners everywhere: I congratulate you on your well-earned reclaiming of the throne. Enjoy it while you can.

Richard EVO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, great post. Admitting that the Viper has been trumped, at least temporarily, by the performance (and price) of the new Z06 is something rare on an internet car board dedicated to the car that is now in 2nd place.

I also agree that Chrysler won't stand on its laurels, and that greater Viper are coming soon.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now we are using many of those same lines and more than a few folks are rolling their eyes at us, including some Viper owners (vipah, Warfang, safireviper, YouWish, etc.) and wannabe owners (Mopar426, Hirohawa, agentf1, etc.). So skip the excuses, give a polite tip of the hat to the Chevy, and don't give up just yet.

Hey! I don't know if I want to be lumped in with some of those other people! I might share some of their sentiments, but I'm soooo much classier in expressing it! :p :D

Other than that... good post. Bottom line: I hate excuses, whether it's coming from a honda ricer or a fellow Viper owner. Admit we got beat, albiet marginally, and keep a fire lit under DC's @$$ to make sure they don't fall asleep or waste all their resources on AMG Luxo-Dragsters. :rolleyes:

It proves that GM stretched the z06 as much as they could just to edge the Viper by a hair, otherwise they would have taken it much further than that. Their efforts are commendable, and their celebration well-deserved. Fact is, the V-10 is nowhere near the edge of its performance envelope, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. It would be refreshing if the DC execs' next meeting with VCA honchos admit this minor setback, assure something is being done without all that winking and nudging bravada. Show some humility... you're no longer king of the hill. Hopefully this will make them hungry again.

I, for one, am optimistic. :2tu:

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! You must be some kind of ******! ( and I thought those remarks were reserved for me! )
I can only HOPE that Chrysler gets it's act together but I have VERY GRAVE doubts. When I bought my ACR in '02, I had a car that would clearly beat the Corvette. Now I have to shell out thousands to do that. Please, oh please mR. German car maker, make me a dream and build a 'Vette ******. Please......

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post, thanks...

Honestly , I could give 2 Shyts what chevy, ford or for that matter, what anyone else does...they could of come out with a 600 hp Z06 Vette at $40k and Ford could sell the GT at $60K, it would just not move me toward there products...

So, the Chevy Z06 Vette has showed up, well who the hell was waiting? or in my mind,who the hell cares?...not me, I get smiles from one end of my face to the other every time I drive the snake, Iam so passionate about my Viper, I quess it could be called having sex, and at my age, I will take it any way I can...

So if a hur--ray is in line for Chevy for building the 505 hp Z06 Vette, then OK. Cudo's , but, I will still race your asp.....

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my "wannabe" Viper that was bought new in 1993 at sticker after putting a deposit down 14 months earlier.

You must be registered for see images

Here is my "wanabe" Viper getting custom windows done by Biff @ V Mania drove 600 + miles in one day to get these made to match the H*nnessey top.

You must be registered for see images

Don't get it twisted where my loyalty or ownership lies.

If Dodge puts out something that excites me and is faster and lighter than a Vette I would put down another deposit 14 months before the car came out.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice post. :2tu: i know dodge will come out with a better performing viper (a new ACR?). we can only wait

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Hirohawa, I honestly didn't know you ever owned a Viper and never gathered that from your posts. Either your sig is new or I am blind from old age. Again, my sincere apologies for lumping you in the wrong group.

And as a side note, this wasn't about you - it is about the car that so many of us, including yourself it would seem, are so passionate about.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem. Sig is a few years old also.

I am passionate about the Viper. My 12 year old RT/10 is still one of my all time favorite car designs and every time I take it out it still gtes thumbs up.

And let me say this right off the bat. The new Viper Coupe is, to me, better looking than the new Z06.

All my critical posts have been about the Viper returning to it's roots. Faster and Lighter than a Corvette with a classic design (I did not use retro as i beleive this has taken a negative meaning in car design).

The original Gen I, II Viper had a very 60's flair to it and basically ushered in th entire Retro movement stemming from everything from the VW Beetle to the Mini Cooper and to great acclaim in the new Ford GT.

To me the 60's where the ultimate in terms of Sports car design and going back to that well was smart and revoultionary back in 1989. Another trip there will yield fantastic results again. (I was born in the 70s, so no I am not being nostalgic)

Steve

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
D.C. I am waiting with check in hand for a Z06 ass kicker. Signed bought two Vipers already. What's one more.....

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great series of posts and perspectives - I have owned 6 Corvettes and 1 XLR before my Viper - I made the switch because the Viper is so different and unique - the thrill of Vette ownership would last about a month after each purchase (then I would get bored)or when I bumped into about 10 other Vettes exactly like mine over the course of any weekend - the thrill of Viper ownership is clearly amazing and its tough to wipe the grin off of my face each morning - there are only 649 Vipers in the state of PA - I bet there are 649 Corvettes in a 5 mile radius of my home! Who cares if the Z is a blink faster in a 1/4 mile race - many of us don't care or will ever experience that fact - Viper ownership is just special - I concur that DC will deliver the next top-of-the-hill performance vehicle though - and then, we can check that box off Viper ownership as well - lets get back to discussing our love of Vipers on this forum and forget the nonsense driven by the new Z - you can line up any car (including Ferraris) in a row with any model Viper and I bet the Viper always draws the crowd - I have seen it happen - enjoy the weekend - its raining like hell in PA and we all know snakes hate the water.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A stock Corvette C6 Z06 will beat a stock Viper SRT-10 - convertible or Coupe - period.

Stock for stock....who cares ?? If I have enough of a problem with the issue then my car (whatever it may be) WILL be faster ;)

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had the opportunity to trade my Viper in for a new Z06. A close friend of mine owns a Chevy dealership in Toronto......he wanted to give me the new Z06 at par with my Viper and he wanted the Viper for himself.

Of course I turned him down.......

What does it tell you when the owner of a Chevy dealership would give me a new Z06 for my Viper.

Bob.....I hope you are not reading this..... :D :eek: :p

I love my car.................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2tu:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post, great read all the way through. Like most Viper owners I really don't care about the new Vette's marginal power advantage that's not why I bought a Viper. We bought it for the outrageous looks, brute power and torque and rarity. I have owned two brand new Vette's and enjoyed them both, but nothing remotely close to the enjoyment and sheer fun of driving my GTS. It's hot as an oven, has cost me plenty in mods and repairs and is totally impractical. And I wouldn't trade it for any Vette.

A quick story how I bought my Viper. I had just bought a new black Z06 form a local Chevy dealer. One day I decided to take it out to the same dealer, I had heard the (then) new C-6's were there on display, I wanted to see one. I drove to the dealer, and when I turned into his lot I saw this red GTS sitting there amidst the new C-6's. Someone had traded it in just the day before. Now the amazing thing was that there were a bunch of people standing around peering into the Viper. Most not even looking at the NEW Vette's. I couldn't believe my eyes, what the hell IS that thing??? I got out, looked it over and knew I was in the wrong car, this Viper is the most beautiful car I ever saw. So I went into the dealer who I had just bought the new Z from and sold it back to them...drove home in the Viper a few days later. Almost a year later and I never regretted it for a moment.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K5SRT, Well done.
I believe as well that Dodge is on a roll and is not going to slow down.
I’m also ready to see that V10 fire Power and a V10 or Highbred Grand Wagoneer.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now Chris is doing his part to light a fire under DC execs. Hope it works. :2tu:

I can't get a new Viper now anyway. Until I can I'll just keep tracking my beat up old 97 GTS along with my Viper buds and their old GenI & IIs.

I wonder how many 06 Z06s will be getting tracked 9 years from now? LOL

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hand wringing continues. I am picturing you guys meeting once a month starting each with, "my name is Bill W. and I own a Viper which may be slower than a Z06".
Here is a flash, the Z is not the only car in the world that will beat your Viper--there are a bunch. And, with few mods, my neighbor's 17 yr old can beat me in his WRX. Likewise, I can put one of my NASCAR clients in either of my Vipers and he will beat the living sh&t out of any Auto Mag driver in a spanking new Z06. Speed is but one of many attributes of a Viper, and I have bought all 3 of mine knowing I did not have the fastest car around.
6 weeks ago I was on the Z06 waiting list until Bill P sent me pics of the Commemorative Ed SRT-- got off the list and added the SRT to my GTS, and never thought twice about it. Last Thursday I got a call from a Chevy dealer outside of Detroit saying he had a beautiful Z06 on his lot and it was mine if I committed within an hour. I am fortunate/lucky in that I could have cut a check on the spot and had it within days, but I did not bite (which amazed and pleased my wife)I recall having one of the first C6s which was ignored by almost everyone including the C5 and C4 crowd. The general public saw it as just another Vette and most could not tell the difference between a C5 and 6 even though they were fairly dramatic. I would take it to a Chevy show and it was like I had leprosy --kinda like some of the GTS crowd's early reaction to the SRT. I suspect the first few Zs will get like treatment. I also tired of finding someone who could work on it and this will be far worse with the Z. Guys, go out , fire up your snake and give thanks.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hah, sure you woudn't take a Ford GT for 60k....... :)

Good post, thanks...

Honestly , I could give 2 Shyts what chevy, ford or for that matter, what anyone else does...they could of come out with a 600 hp Z06 Vette at $40k and Ford could sell the GT at $60K, it would just not move me toward there products...

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A stock Corvette C6 Z06 will beat a stock Viper SRT-10 - convertible or Coupe - period.

Stock for stock....who cares ?? If I have enough of a problem with the issue then my car (whatever it may be) WILL be faster ;)

Couldn't agree more. I choose cars for their styling and make them as fast as I want them to be. IMHO stock cars are boring.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Excuses, I like to win... I didn't buy the viper to say "oh at least it looks better than a vette" I bought it because I could say that AND say I can kill them too. This setback I'm sure is temporary, and now the vette guys have a new fire in their hearts, because YES, finally their stock (special version) vette can beat our stock vipers.

Congrats to Chevy.... they executed extremely well.

Jon

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris.........Great post and very well written. From all indications, the new Z-06 is truly an awesome car. I was number one on the list for a new Z at the largest Chevy dealer in Houston, but gave my spot to a good friend and bought a new yellow SRT-10. Why you ask? Well, here is the short version. I have owned 13 Corvettes (including 2 C5 Z-06's) and 5 Vipers (2 GTS's and 3 SRT's) and at the end of the day, it's real simple.......the Viper just does it for me!!!! I love everything about this beast and sincerely hope DC has something in the works to get our crown back. In the meantime, I installed a Paxton for insurance purposes against my friends new Z. :)

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the rags, give up on the grandma drivers, skip the weather conditions and barometric pressures: A stock Corvette C6 Z06 will beat a stock Viper SRT-10 - convertible or Coupe - period. Oh it won't be by much, and different drivers will yield a few different outcomes in real life (great Viper driver will beat good Vette driver). But stock for stock, the Corvette Z06 will win the 0-60, 0-100, and quarter mile with equal drivers. For sure. The Viper will out-brake it, but those are bragging rights few of us carry around with us. And the Corvette is a performance bargain, with probably the least expensive "cost per tenth of a second" in the quarter mile of any car on the road. My sincerest congratulations to Dave Hill, the Corvette development team, and the entire GM Performance Division.

My fellow Viper brethren, it's time to begrudgingly give a polite round of applause for the Chevy. No matter whether it took fourteen years or fourteen months, they have finally bested the mighty Dodge. Let's show a little dignity and quit using all the excuses that we laughed at when we were on top: "More exclusive" (Ferrari), "more exotic looking" (Lamborghini), "it's only a Chevy/Dodge" (all of Europe), "with just a few mods mine can smoke it" (Mustang, Supra, etc.) - all are things at which we rolled our eyes when we were the Kings of Speed. Now we are using many of those same lines and more than a few folks are rolling their eyes at us, including some Viper owners (vipah, Warfang, safireviper, YouWish, Hirohawa, etc.) and wannabe owners (Mopar426, agentf1, etc.). AUTOMOBILE has always given the Viper a lot of positive press, and they did indeed test the Viper directly against the Z06 - and the Viper lost. So skip the excuses, give a polite tip of the hat to the Chevy, and don't give up just yet.

Oh yes, I am keeping my Viper. Hell, I may even add another one to the fleet if the right opportunity should knock. A slower, cartoonish car with day-before-yesterday's technology. You see, like the Corvette offers a unique ownership experience, so too does the Viper. Perhaps even more so. People will continue to flock to the Viper no matter what the magazines say. And most will still think it is King of the Hill despite the fact that the Ford GT actually took the title a while back. Nope, the Corvette can't take anything away from the Viper, except the dignity of a few owners that will argue against the facts.

And prepare yourself, as those facts will change. No winking, no nudging, no inside knowledge here. I am as much in the dark as anybody on the planet. However I do read the trade rags, I do read VIPER magazine, and I read the Wall Street Journal if I get really bored. And every one of them tells me that my Viper won't stay down for the count. Indeed, that count may barely get past "two". The latest VIPER magazine was so full of real promises from DC that you had to be blind to miss them (and many were). More importantly, the "C" side of "DC" is the most profitable "American" car company out there (quotation marks for our German father and American mother). And routinely turns out more radical cars in quicker fashion than any car company on the planet. GM and Ford don't need a halo car right now, they need a Chrysler 300.

Crossfires, PT Cruisers, Prowlers, the 300, the Magnum, Dodge full-size trucks, Pacifica, the (gulp) Charger. Oh yeah, and the Viper. All are a little off the beaten path and yet the company is the most healthy of any in the US. GM unleashes the GTO. Ford comes up with the 500. Neither the Z06 or GT can save them, nor slow down their parent's slide. Just look at the concept cars and you can see that DC is actually picking up the pace. Anybody want to take bets on when the first Firepower goes down the assembly line? (and at CAAP too, since it shares the Viper chassis) Just because you haven't seen or heard of a new Viper concept doesn't mean it isn't already in the works. Oh no, far, far from it. And it ain't the Firepower.

You see, the SRT division of Dodge is about winning in its class. Fastest in every segment: Sedan, compact, trucks, station wagons, etc. The GM Performance division has done an incredible job and finally caught up with the car that rightfully should have never have let that throne get away. While we can diss it all we want (and we seem to want to more often than not), our brothers across the pond already build some of the most powerful vehicles on the planet- can anyone say "AMG"? Mercedes technology has made its way into the US builds, witness the 300C. AMG builds some absolutely incredible cars. But they are not a halo vehicle for Dodge, for Chrysler, or certainly for the American side of the company. Nope, that title has long belonged to the Viper and the Viper alone. And that hasn't changed even a little bit with the introduction of the new Z06. The Viper remains THE personification of the SRT performance division, Dodge, and the entire US side of the company in general.

I have absolutely zero doubt that more than a few SRT execs are biting their tongues right now to the point of bleeding to death. When the SRT-10 came out it was pretty much a surprise to everyone. The Coupe, not so much (Viper owners saw that one even before the press got a gander). DC is surprisingly quick at moving a car from concept to production. The first Viper did it in an almost unheard of three years. And SRT/DC has known about most of the new Z06 specs for over a year. I don't need any winks or nudges to see the continued excitement and enthusiasm these SRT folks have for the Viper. Something is up, I just don't know what it is.

So to Dave Hill, GM, Chevrolet, and Corvette owners everywhere: I congratulate you on your well-earned reclaiming of the throne. Enjoy it while you can.

i have never made any excuses. i only state the facts. and the facts are the vette is a faster car for less money when purchased new from the dealer.

now that we got that out of the way in my opinion the viper has more mod potential. so with that said, i believe the viper can beat it when both cars are modded with a unlimited budget. looks are subjective. and in my opinion the gen-2 viper coupe looks better. as far as resale value goes, i believe the viper will hold a better resale value. my viper opens more doors and legs for me than the new vette ever will.

so in the end the vette wins when coming off the showroom floor only. beyond that its gonna get its ass kicked :headbang:

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Bravo Chris!

Just means we'll be able to fill up more roadcourse events with additional registrants!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette guys have to be thrilled to finally have something that can play with the big dogs.

At Sebring it didn't matter how well they were cornering, once we got into the straights there was no keeping.

I say welcome to the party just don't get too comfortable :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth