THE NEW Z06 IS FASTER THAN THE VIPER

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have the actual numbers that were posted by both cars I would appreciate seeing them.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
official times

viper 0-60 3.9 sec vette 0-60 3.7
viper 0-60 brakes 97 feet vette 0-60 105
viper skidpad average 1.05g vette skidpad average 1.04g

speed: vette
brakes: viper
grip: viper

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VCA Pres. I am so glad that someone, especially in your position came forward with a factual statement like this, regarding the great perf. of the new ZO6. I guarantee at VOI 9, DC will catch all sorts of hell on this and on the last day they wont be able to crush a vette like they have in the past. I will also bet that DC will announce a performance improvement (to keep up with the vette) for the 07 coupe to get everyone re-motivated about the coupe. Thats one reason I would not buy the 06 coupe. The 07 will also have the bugs out that traditionally go with the first year. Thanks again for telling it like it is.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VCA Pres. I am so glad that someone, especially in your position came forward with a factual statement like this, regarding the great perf. of the new ZO6. I guarantee at VOI 9, DC will catch all sorts of hell on this and on the last day they wont be able to crush a vette like they have in the past. I will also bet that DC will announce a performance improvement (to keep up with the vette) for the 07 coupe to get everyone re-motivated about the coupe. Thats one reason I would not buy the 06 coupe. The 07 will also have the bugs out that traditionally go with the first year. Thanks again for telling it like it is.

They would be crazy to announce they will be upping the HP for 07, and leave the lots full of unsold 06's. More than likely, the HP will remain the same, but there will be an ACR edition with extra HP... preferably something in the 700HM range. And if we're lucky, it would look more like the gts-r.

That way, stock for stock, the SRT will kill the C6 and the ACR will kill the z06.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
official times

Sween your enthusiasm over the Viper coupe is very similar to mine and I respect that. I do think however that the performance that matters most to most of us is the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The vette seems to have that one on the coupe pretty well. Every mag has given up to .5 seconds to the vette. my advice: If it's pure STOCK performance you are ONLY after. Get the vette.

If you want exclusivity, a substantially better looking car, more mod potential, more looks, more thumbs up...get a bad ass viper (any year).

I agree that 07 will have a better "answer" than 06. Someone mentioned maybe a new platform in 08. I would LOVE to see what could come of that.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, you mean to tell me the new Z06 WILL run 10's at 130 ?? I'm so confused.... ;)
Stock for Stock a GenIII will kill a C6. It took Chebby to build a Z06 to nudge just ahead... Now we need Dodge to come out with an "ACR", or something of that matter.. ;) :) :headbang:

Gerald

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
official times

Sween your enthusiasm over the Viper coupe is very similar to mine and I respect that. I do think however that the performance that matters most to most of us is the 0-60 and 1/4 mile . The vette seems to have that one on the coupe pretty well. Every mag has given up to .5 seconds to the vette. my advice: If it's pure STOCK performance you are ONLY after. Get the vette.

If you want exclusivity, a substantially better looking car, more mod potential, more looks, more thumbs up...get a bad ass viper (any year).

I agree that 07 will have a better "answer" than 06. Someone mentioned maybe a new platform in 08. I would LOVE to see what could come of that.

actually if you look at the official 1/4 mile times they are both 11.7

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They would be crazy to announce they will be upping the HP for 07, and leave the lots full of unsold 06's. More than likely, the HP will remain the same, but there will be an ACR edition with extra HP... preferably something in the 700HM range. And if we're lucky, it would look more like the gts-r.

That way, stock for stock, the SRT will kill the C6 and the ACR will kill the z06.
You think DC is sane?? And their 06 sales will be slow due to ZO6 sales . I just ordered a ZO6!! What is 700HM ?? horse meters?? And you you just contradicted yourself, "more than likely, the HP will remain the same, but ACR will have extra HP ?? You did not argue the point of them crushing a vette. A killer vette.

SRTdownunder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post - I for one am glad to see that the Z06 has done so well. This will raise the bar and cause DC to step up to the plate and give us a better performing Viper here shortly. If the Z06 still would have been inferior to the Viper in stats then DC might have sat on their laurels thinking that they still had the best car in the market. Now that they have been put on notice I am sure there will be a response which should put the Viper back on top. Competition is great and we should all welcome the results of the Z06 as being a great motivator for improving the Viper to the next level.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris great writting but you know whats reallt funny.You

see vetts all around.To the eye they all look the same. How

many Vipers do people see daily:))) So I don't give a

flying horse sht if its slightly faster.Wippy doo. Put the

Viper and Vett together and lets really see what people

would pick.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You think DC is sane?? And their 06 sales will be slow due to ZO6 sales . I just ordered a ZO6!! What is 700HM ?? horse meters?? And you you just contradicted yourself, "more than likely, the HP will remain the same, but ACR will have extra HP ?? You did not argue the point of them crushing a vette. A killer vette.

[/QUOTE]

to WON: I'm the last to defend DC, but immature whining and nitpicking does no one any good. I believe that's the point the more level-headed people here are trying to make.

To restate my point for the reading challenged... DC most likely would not change the SRT's HP in 07, but will have an ACR-type model with more HP and other racing niceties. No contradiction there.

Now.... if only I learned how to type better, that would give simpletons less jabber to argue about. My fault there. :rolleyes: Here... let me correct myself for those that couldn't figure out it was a typo... 700HM=700HP

Let me know if any of you need help dialing 991 for emergency. :p

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you think Ferrari guys will feel when they get spanked by a new Z06 after spending all of that money?? Regardless it is a great car for the cash outlay for sure...They will be a big attention getter in the press and on the road next year..then it will be another Vette when there are 40,000 of them tooling around..AL... :2tu: :2tu:

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the way everyone refers to the new Z as the "best bang for the buck" - when I am shopping for a ridiculous toy like a performance car - I am not looking for the value - I am looking for the WOW!! The price of the car (within reason) isnt the issue - I am really curious to learn how many on this forum will actually trade their Vipers for a new Z06 - I just wonder!??

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my guess. . .the new Gen. IV. . .will look meaner than hell and have a dual overhead cam, four valve per cylinder, V10 screamer. 600 plus HP.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THe New Z06 is NOT faster than MY Viper. And neither is anything production AMG has put out. Thank you Jason Heffner. :D

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
OK - I'll be the lone holdout!

The Red/Silver SRT Coupe making the magazine rounds is obviously not up to ***** - it is not as fast as a GTS or last year's SRT-10. Until someone runs a bone stock, production zeeohsix, versus and bone stock, production SRT Coupe ... on the same track and on the same day ... I remain unconvinced that the Brand X car is overall faster.

TAZMC2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a 700hp Zo6; my last corvette. Now I have a 2005 650hp viper. No matter how fast any other cars are I believe the VIPER is the best car overall.
Just remember speed is only one atribute, there are about 100 more things the Z06 need to improve before they get my attention. I am happy I know I can easily
get two Garrets under this hood and eat Z06 ..7 ...8...9
faster than they can make them....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You obviously cannot read, or choose to ignore what is said in order to make your ditto remarks.

If you read the comment you would have read that he thinks the red/white car used in the various write-ups was down on power. I agree that the car does look the same in the various mags, so it could be the same car. In at least one of the mags it was mentioned that this particular car seemed slower than previous SRT-10's. And judging by the performance numbers it does seem off. That is not an excuse, just a comments that something about the results is confusing.

I mean really, how can any of us believe the new coupe can only make a 12.4 1/4 mile run. That is almost in Gen I territory.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a lot slower than previous SRT 10's, not an excuse, but previous tests on SRT 10's in 2003 turned 11.77 @ 123.63, thats a lot of difference. Maybe they just don't know how to get the most out of this car ? Again the numbers speak for themselves and is not just an opinion!!!
WHY the BIG difference?????????????

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this was the best post so far. Chevy did make a great car but if you park a Z06 and a SRT-10 Viper next to each other at Starbucks on any given night people will flock to the viper 10 to 1. Hell the Z06 looks almost like a run of the mill corvette

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a real world event that was posted at Viper alley.com buy a SRT/10 owner who raced a new Z06...

Well it finally happened. Coming home from Glendale on Sunday and finally met up with a new z06. I was on Brand Blvd. and right before the 134 freeway entrance I spotted a yellow corvette which didn't look quite right. The fenders were slightly larger than normal. Upon closer inspection it was in fact a Z06. I pulled next to him and started egging him on. I shifted into second and kept tapping the gas. He finally decided to dance and we both went at at. We went for about 20 miles in medium traffic heading east on the 134 onto the 210 heading to Monrovia. we went back and forth for about 15 minutes going from 70 up to 120 back and forth. Speed-wise both cars are heads up. We both got next to each other and did runs in 2nd up to third. Both my SRT-10 and his Z06 were even. We were both weaving in and out of traffic. On acceleration both cars are even stock. We didn't do any stop runs both on the freeway both cars are the same. Handling and braking wise, the SRT was doing better. A few times he almost rearended some cars.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Saturday I went to the largest selling Corvette dealer in the country. I own both a 2005 SRT 10 and a Corvette,
So I have no axe to grind, I like both my cars! I went there with a friend of mine who is considering buying a new vette and I took him there because I know the dealer personally. While I was there I spoke with the Corvette manager about the new Z06 and we both agreed that it was a nice car. I asked him which car he thought was faster between the vette and the Viper. He said that he had been out to the GM test track where they tested the new Z06. They in fact ran it against a Viper SRT 10 while he was there. He told me that in the 1/4 mile it was a dead heat on two separate runs. During those runs they had the Z06 with the TC on. They then turned the TC off on the vette and the Viper beat it. and to end our discussion he admitted and agreed with me that the Viper was a better looking car!!! By the way, my friend made the decision not to buy a new Corvette. He wasn't impressed with the looks or the comfort of the seats. He said it looked too much like the old C5 vettes except for the headlights. So make of this what you will.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With all you guys running off to buy a new Z......
I should have quite a selection to choose from when I add a second Viper to my stable. :D

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper in Automobile was not the red one in the other mags - it was black. This was a heads up test which is exactly what the poster before me was asking for.

You obviously cannot read, or choose to ignore what is said in order to make your ditto remarks.

If you read the comment you would have read that he thinks the red/white car used in the various write-ups was down on power. I agree that the car does look the same in the various mags, so it could be the same car. In at least one of the mags it was mentioned that this particular car seemed slower than previous SRT-10's. And judging by the performance numbers it does seem off. That is not an excuse, just a comments that something about the results is confusing.

I mean really, how can any of us believe the new coupe can only make a 12.4 1/4 mile run. That is almost in Gen I territory.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And it STILL.............looks like a REGULAR C6 Corvette

I had 2 on order, cancelled one of them, not sure if i will keep the remaining one or flip it.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welll said and gracious. I got my first Viper in early 1994 and bought 5 others over the years. One of two things will happen, now. D-C will either let the Viper slowly die or step up to the plate and make it king of the hill. My personal experience with my '03 SRT makes me worry it is the former:

I got my '03 in Feb '03, broke it in gently and then took it to my home track, MotorSport Ranch. As I got going, I noticed the oil pressure gauge moving in the corner of my eye, so I slow a bit and watch the gauge in sweeping left hand turns and sure enough, oil pressure plummets!

Long story short, DC tells me that I can either get a $2K oil pan with swing arm pickup or not track the car ever again. Disappointed and angry, I swore off the SRT10.

Meanwhile, the Z06 has a dry sump and Dave Hill says, sure, take it to the track occasionally.

Has the oiling issue been resolved for the more track-worthy SRT10 coupe? If not, I am afraid that tells me D-C just doesn't care about the driver who intends to use the car's performance and that therefore performance is a secondary consideration.

I am also concerned that D-C's halo performance brand for king of the hill is AMG.

So I have my '01 GTS that I will keep indefinitely and I will buy the Z06, not the SRT coupe.

As a VCA member ever since there was a VCA, I am concerned that the Viper is becoming a figurehead, more for the driver who wants to pose and bench race than actually use the car. I hope I am wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery