2015 Z06 specs leaked 620hp/650tq

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It could be difficult to find out if over the course of a 20-30 minute hard fought track session the ZR1 brakes or other systems pack it in. It's ceramic brake system was toast after it's one record setting Laguna Seca lap. Not impressed with any Corvettes ability to hold together on track. This is going back to 2003, but I was at Road Atlanta doing a Panoz track school with a number of other Supra owners and a friend with a Z06. Brutal track on brakes, but after the first day he had cracked all 4 rotors, while I had almost worn through a set of stock pads. I changed pads and he scrambled to find a complete set of rotors and pads. I'm not sure they make them much more durable now, but I'm betting the TA will settle into hard track use until the tank is empty, the tires are corded, or the brakes are metal on metal. And I'll be testing that theory at that track in June.

Are you sure the ZR1 brakes were toast? Randy Pobst was prasising the big CC brakes at the record Laguna lap. These are the same spec brakes that are on the Enzo Ferrari..
8:33 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExgJxgNSWtk#t=612

The development, technology, and engineering that goes in to todays cars are apple and oranges to cars in 2003. I own a 2010 Z06 and pound the crap out of it on the track. I got 17 track days on it and it has yet skipped a beat. It's just as solid compared to my Vipers..

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure the ZR1 brakes were toast? Randy Pobst was prasising the big CC brakes at the record Laguna lap. These are the same spec brakes that are on the Enzo Ferrari..
8:33 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExgJxgNSWtk#t=612

The development, technology, and engineering that goes in to todays cars are apple and oranges to cars in 2003. I own a 2010 Z06 and pound the crap out of it on the track. I got 17 track days on it and it has yet skipped a beat. It's just as solid compared to my Vipers..

That's great to hear about your Z06 being so good, but like any other car, experiences naturally do vary somewhat.

Mister Viper (Graham H.) posted on this forum about this particular ZR1's brakes turning to mush after the record lap from boiling fluid. Ralph also commented somewhere on that, and I read it for a second time recently, as well as how they bought one and it was unable to complete the 24 hour endurance testing that they put the Viper through (reason not mentioned). Randy Pobst has also commented on the brakes going away on that car. Maybe the fluid on the ZR1 was old, who knows...$hit happens. I even heard of a car that lost the whole brake pedal :omg:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I believe this is an actual photo. As you can see, it is less dramatic and differs in a number of ways from the shop above.

Last edited:

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree that 10A is a hard stop - I have seen cars in the gravel after trying to stop for the turn - and it you overheat your brakes in 10A and don't get your pedal back, turn 1 can be real exciting on the next lap.

I should clarify...Road Atlanta is brutal on brakes compared to other tracks like Road America, Mid-Ohio, Virginia Int'l, Watkin's Glen, Mosport, Mont Tremblant, among others...same car, brakes/pads, and driver. I would think that's largely because of T10A that's at the end of the long and fast back straight and the rather steep downhill brake zone into the tight 90* left. The rest of the brake demands are pretty typical. I don't doubt that there are more brake demanding tracks, and I'm curious which ones might be in your opinion.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I belive this is an actual photo. As you can see, it is less dramatic and differs in a number of ways from the shop above.

I hope you're right, this looks much better. Where did you get this info, Bob?

I guess we'll all know soon enough. Really looking forward to the launch tomorrow AM. I have a friend that I told about this car. He's a serious track rat, but can't drive clutch due to a knee issue. So he's stuck with some sort of auto or DCT tranny, the Z06 may be the right choice for him.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's on the net at a site that showed Chevy people setting up the exhibits. Regarding the knee issue, my clutch knee is bone on bone and the new clutch requires so little effort compared to my old one that I at first thought something was wrong. Your friend might want to test out the Gen V to see how it feels to him. The auto and DCT trannies are great but there is still, at least for me, something special about a stick. I grew up with that level of driver involvement and it served me well during the Jurrasic period. LOL.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's on the net at a site that showed Chevy people setting up the exhibits. Regarding the knee issue, my clutch knee is bone on bone and the new clutch requires so little effort compared to my old one that I at first thought something was wrong. Your friend might want to test out the Gen V to see how it feels to him. The auto and DCT trannies are great but there is still, at least for me, something special about a stick. I grew up with that level of driver involvement and it served me well during the Jurrasic period. LOL.

This is the friend who tracked my Gen V at Laguna Seca with me. Unfortunately he was sore for a few days after. He then bought a Ferrari 458, tracked it with me at Buttonwillow a couple of weeks ago, and a sensor went in the transmission. So his Ferrari is in 1,000 pieces at the dealer getting warranty repair. He's realizing that he may want a less expensive track toy. He's a long time Vette guy, so if the new C7 comes with the 8 speed auto as leaked, it may be the right car for him. Vettes are pretty robust on the track, and at least it's not an arm and a leg if you have to repair them once out of warranty.

Bob, I don't think that pic you posted is accurate. If you look at the images on the official Corvette site, it shows a black front fender flare going to a big splitter. So my money's on the yellow rendering on Jalopnik.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Cow I have GT-Rs, Mustangs and Corvettes blowing by me, what happened with the Viper.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I have to add something. The more I look at the black bolted on front fender flares mated to that funky poop-scoop splitter, the more they're bugging me. Why didn't they just flare the front fenders like they did the back fenders??? Just like the base C7, some styling elements are gorgeous, while some still **** like the rear end. It feels like another missed opportunity to do an elegant design.

I think that's because the wheel liner is part of the optional aero package, so they did not paint to match. Every car will not come as you see it in the picture/rendering with the aggressive aero. I wondered why they didn't paint it myself.

Holy Cow I have GT-Rs, Mustangs and Corvettes blowing by me, what happened with the Viper.

Haha, and it's the cars fault? I think the car is saying the same thing and wants a new driver....... Especially if you are getting passed by mustangs. Pay for a driving coach.

I should clarify...Road Atlanta is brutal on brakes compared to other tracks like Road America, Mid-Ohio, Virginia Int'l, Watkin's Glen, Mosport, Mont Tremblant, among others...same car, brakes/pads, and driver. I would think that's largely because of T10A that's at the end of the long and fast back straight and the rather steep downhill brake zone into the tight 90* left. The rest of the brake demands are pretty typical. I don't doubt that there are more brake demanding tracks, and I'm curious which ones might be in your opinion.

Road Atlanta is my home track, spend lots of time there. Now that I think about it, it may be harder than I thought, I'm just so used to it, I never think about it. I think it's pretty close with VIR on brake wear. Barber and Carolina Motorsports Park and SUPER ******* brakes though. Your track list sounds a better than mine.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe this is an actual photo. As you can see, it is less dramatic and differs in a number of ways from the shop above.

That looks like the regular stingray from one of the car shows, can't remember which, but the background looks identical.

ArnarFB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the new Vette and if this is the new Z06/Z07 then I LOVE it :D

I'm a car guy. Viper lover at heart, but a car guy in general, and the new Z looks GOOD.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like the regular stingray from one of the car shows, can't remember which, but the background looks identical.

So disappointing after all the hyped leaked photoshop pictures.

You're right. It's just a regular stingray with a spoiler similar to the one on my TA and black brake duct.

ArnarFB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He so practiced that fist pump in front of his hotel bathroom mirror hahaha

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of those leaked prerelease pics were right, lol, shows how leaked photos and chops are worth, well, nothing really.

Looks pretty good. Flares on the front fenders are there, rear fenders are bumped a bit, need shots of interior next.

Easy to say underwhelming perhaps looks wise, if you don't like the C7 base, you won't like this, but I wonder when it hits the track & if it beats some G5 numbers if it's underwhelming then what is the viper - performance wise that is. The vette always manages to do great things without giant HP numbers, a Z car with an 8 speed paddle and an extra 120hp or so, I bet it does some serious #s. Just sayin.

ArnarFB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks the rear spoiler looks a bit clunky and weird?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 50 minute video debuting the car.

With 2 minutes talking about the car. lol.

Not nearly as aggressive as the renderings, honestly, I am underwhelmed. Z06 forums aren't all that pleased with the debut lol

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of those leaked prerelease pics were right, lol, shows how leaked photos and chops are worth, well, nothing really.

Looks pretty good. Flares on the front fenders are there, rear fenders are bumped a bit, need shots of interior next.

Easy to say underwhelming perhaps looks wise, if you don't like the C7 base, you won't like this, but I wonder when it hits the track & if it beats some G5 numbers if it's underwhelming then what is the viper - performance wise that is. The vette always manages to do great things without giant HP numbers, a Z car with an 8 speed paddle and an extra 120hp or so, I bet it does some serious #s. Just sayin.
I think the 8 speed auto will be great and hopefully it will force SRT's hand. I've been pondering trading in my V for another upgraded V, but at this point I want to wait for DCT if I am going to eat a loss.

Can't wait to see what the Z06 does on a track.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 50 minute video debuting the car.

With 2 minutes talking about the car. lol.

I was literally saying this to myself as well. Geesh, like that was it ... Quote some power humbers and show the exterior & brag about how they've flooded the market with product the past 2 yrs. As if volume means quality, they need to play their speeches back & listen to them. It's not a board meeting for Pete's sake.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unveil was crap. They showed the cars for 2 seconds, and had the cameras focused on the two guys speaking the entire time. Marketing FAIL. All that hype and buzz about the live feed, and all we learned about was GM's sales and awards. They should have had the cameras focused on the cars, let the speakers talk in the background sound.