2nd Gear lockout

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2004 occassionaly locks me out completely from shifting into second. Acts like my C5 did which had a 2nd gear shift lock for emissions. Does the Viper use something like this?

Thanks for the help.

dgt1031

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 2006 does the same thing. It sometimes happens during slow accelerations. The shift light doesn't come on either...At least I know its not just my car....

OP
OP

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 2006 does the same thing. It sometimes happens during slow accelerations. The shift light doesn't come on either...At least I know its not just my car....

Exactly, and it really makes you look like an idiot when driving.:drive:

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

it's suppose to! suppose to improve gas milage. You can get a skip shift eliminator

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its a skip shift, makes you go into 4th gear. If you do a computer upgrade for more power, most tuners remove that feature for you so you dont have to worry about it. Otherwise just accel over 3k rpms or so and you can shift as normal.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a skip shift, makes you go into 4th gear. If you do a computer upgrade for more power, most tuners remove that feature for you so you dont have to worry about it. Otherwise just accel over 3k rpms or so and you can shift as normal.

I think it is over 2000 rpm.

OP
OP

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. That is what I thought, but I didn't realize the Vipers got stuck using them as well :(
Thanks again everyone.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read your manual as it addresses this. Many US manual cars (including my 99) have had this for years now for gas mileage quotas. Forget the computer gadget. Just accelerate from first like its a sports car!!