2nd Gear problems....maybe

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. From day one,car purchased new,the transmission is difficult at times to get into second gear. From my past experiences with 4speed cars it feels like a syncro problem.During the winter months I just go from 1st to 3rd until the transmission is up to temp.The Dodge dealer thinks it's a skip shift issue however the light seldom comes on.I would like to do some warranty unfriendly mods but not if the transmission is about to fail. The GTS has about 3000 mi....I know I know I should drive more. Thanks

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put in the skip shift eliminator. It is less then $30 and takes about ten minutes. Put a jack stand under the left front. The connector is located about half way back on the transmission and on the drivers side. This will eliminate the skip-shift from the equation.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The skip shift won't let you just skip second and go to third. It forces a 1 to 4 shift. (I removed the guide inside the transmission - it's a "S" groove with no escape to third gear.)

For diagnostics, just unplug the skip shift solenoid and see what happens. (I'll bet no difference.)

OP
OP
M

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I spoke with Chuck Tator and he thought there could be a transmission problem ,I wish he was a little closer.I have the MGW shift knob which does increase shifting effort but I sense that there is grinding .

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same problem with my car. Dealer will opt to replace the tranny in most cases that I researched (this board).

Mine popped out and did some grinding in second. I have read that a heavy knob can cause this as I also have the older style MGW shifter. Chuck discounted that theory last time we spoke. His word is gospel as far as I am concerned.

Put the car in second at around 5k RPM. If it sticks you'll know it's not the synchro. Probably the fork if it is independant of the RPM.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HemiHead-

Please let me know what you find out- I encounter this myself at times, and also have the MGW knob. Try this- do a 1-2 shift veeery slowly once. When I do that, the next couple shifts into 2nd are much smoother...

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
YES. Just about everyone I spoke with said to replace it.

One local tranny shop offered to rebuild it for $750. Your car is probably under warranty. I don't think DC will service it. Someone will probably correct me if I am wrong.

OP
OP
M

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Gary. The problem is the worst during cold weather. As much as I hate to trust a Dodge Dealer with my car, especially overnight, it looks like it's my only option. So Jerry Dodge it is.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Gary. The problem is the worst during cold weather. As much as I hate to trust a Dodge Dealer with my car, especially overnight, it looks like it's my only option. So Jerry Dodge it is.

Jeff replaced my transmission while I waited. It only took a couple of hours. Maybe you won't have to leave it overnight. Good luck!

----------------
2000 Black/Black RT/10
Heffner 1000SCi 843 rwhp 792 rwtq 10.20 ET @ 141 MPH
Heffner Performance - Home of the World's First 9-second Supercharged Viper!

pjb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
defintely have jeff take a look. i take my car to him and dont worry about a thing. he did the warranty work on my gen I and I take my 97 there to jerrys dodge for all the regular things like cking on the tsbs, change fluids, and even some light mods.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96