3.33 or 3.55

Steppenwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello forum!
6th gear is not usable now in SRT 10 on the road!
My intention is change original SRT 10 stock pinion/ring (ratio gear 3.06) with a 3.55 ratio gear but i received from tuner this comment:

"would recommend the very hard to get 3:33 gears..... 3:55 is a little low. If you add Forced Induction later you could still use the 3:33's and have to change the 3:55's back to stock."

Is it right?
So now i want also some comments from you!
Pro/cons.....
Which is the better compromise for a street and track day use?
I wait your reply
Thank you
Luigi:drive:

Last edited:

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the 3.55 from Parts Rack and Jon recommended the gear.

I had the 3.55 gear installed before the DLM SC install. Really like it and even better with the SC.

I have to change out of 1st gear just a little sooner but it really turned the other gears on and made 6th gear more usable. I especially like what it did in gears 2-4. Love it on the street.

Doug at DLM ,after the SC install ,said he really liked the way my viper performed with the 3.55 . I even had the LW fly wheel installed. The Viper is very quick with this set up.

Since I don't drive in the rain I have the Hoosier A6's on the rear. These tires really stick even with the SC and 3.55. The Viper runs straight as a arrow with no fish tailing in any gear.

Haven't taken Viper to track-will do this soon.

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do the gears affect top speed ? Can you still run 185-190 ? I have run 187 in complete stock form. I want a little more out of the bottom, but really want to get into the 200 mph club. Just on the list of things to do in life.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will take some off top end which is fine with me.

We just don't have the roads in our area to do the real fast top and I also hesitate because of the kind of tires I have on the rear. I am trying to set my Viper up so I can do well especially in the mid range. In my area most all the running Ive done with the Viper is on the fly from 2nd gear for a short distance of about 1/4 mile and on limited occasions a little above.

OP
OP
S

Steppenwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want undestand better if:
-3.33 is a very close to 3.06 so no concrete difference/change in 6th gear;
-3.55 is a big differnce from original ratio gear and you loose tarction in 1st gear?
-wich is more indicated for a future S/C upgrade?

luigi

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Keep your stock gears and add power.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had 3.45s and changed to 3.33s ... I liked the 3.33s better ... actually faster (like a sling shot) and less shifting

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gear will depend on what you do mostly more precise where you drive. Since the Viper has a very good low end torque it is not necessary to go for the more aggresive gears (4.01 and up)

I had a 600hp SC Viper with stock 3.07 gear. I got stunning fuel economy in 6th gear on highway. I drove my viper about 30000mi just on hwy. For drag racing the gear was not really perfect. On track it performed rather very well.

The 3.33 is a good comprimise for city, highway and drag racing.

I used to drive a 600hp NA Viper which had the 3.73 gear. Great drivability in city and during drag racing. I could use the 6th gear from 60 mph easily. However the Viper was using about 15%-20% more fuel on highway. The owner of the Viper was a drag racer.

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which would be better for drag racing? 3.33, 3.55, or stock? I guess I am asking, which should give an improved ET?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which would be better for drag racing? 3.33, 3.55, or stock? I guess I am asking, which should give an improved ET?
Figure out what your car will run for a trap speed in the quarter mile, then use a gear calculator and see what gear gets you that mph in 4th gear around 5,500 rpm.

I have the shorter GenII tires than you GenIII guys so the 3.55s in my car are like 3.73 would be in your cars. For my bolt-on mod motor with sticky tires I love them. Car is WAY quicker to 60 than with Pilots and the ridiculously tall 3.07 gears. First gear goes by quick, but hey - the 1-2 shift is easy!

Reaction score
I actually run the 3.73 with S/C. 1st gear is all but useless, but I really like where the car sits at 70mph+. 4th gear works great, while 3rd gear is great for quick pick up to 70 mph.

Personally I think 3.55 might be your better option if you want to feel quicker in the seat of your pants.

PS: I actaully start in 2nd gear 99% of the time due to the VERY short 1st gear w/3.73s

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went with 3.55 and couldn't be happier. At first, it felt a little too short but after a while, it feels perfect as you can feel all the torque viper is making throughout the rpm. I drive my car almost everyday and the improvement in driveability both on street and freeway is like a day and night. Fuel economy went down a bit (from 16 to 15mpg) but who cares? My recommendation is go for 3.55. Believe me you are missing out. :D

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figure out what your car will run for a trap speed in the quarter mile, then use a gear calculator and see what gear gets you that mph in 4th gear around 5,500 rpm.

I have the shorter GenII tires than you GenIII guys so the 3.55s in my car are like 3.73 would be in your cars. For my bolt-on mod motor with sticky tires I love them. Car is WAY quicker to 60 than with Pilots and the ridiculously tall 3.07 gears. First gear goes by quick, but hey - the 1-2 shift is easy!

I am not familiar with a gear calculator. I find that when I run the 1/4 I have to shift from 3rd to 4th right at the end of the quarter, and my trap speeds are 117-119 mph.

Would different gears change trap speed or ET, or just changing the shift points?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not familiar with a gear calculator. I find that when I run the 1/4 I have to shift from 3rd to 4th right at the end of the quarter, and my trap speeds are 117-119 mph.

Would different gears change trap speed or ET, or just changing the shift points?
Here is a universal gearing calculator:

http://www.secondstrike.com/Technical/GearCalc.asp

If you plug in your Gen III specs it shows a 4.10 gear would be way too short as you would have to shift into 5th in the quarter, but you would have plenty of top speed head room with a 3.73 as 5,500 rpm in 4th would be 122 mph.

As long as traction is OK you should have a quicker ET due to a harder launch, but should have basically the same trap speed as car is not making any more power (maybe a bit more since you would be in meat of power curve at finish). Of course your shifts points for each gear would be much earlier - which is the benefit of the shorter gears, getting you back into the powerband in 4th instead of being underneath it like you are with the stock gearing per your report.