3:55's on SRT...first imperssion

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3:55\'s on SRT...first imperssion

Just picked up my SRT after having installed 3:55 rear gear to replace stock 3:07. During the 85 mile break-in drive I formed some initial impressions.

First of all the gear is quiet...same as stock. I had expected an increase in noise.

Car cruises much better in 6th. With stock I needed to be going at least 80 to use 6th, otherwise I found myself constantly shifting 6th to 5th whenever I encountered even mild hills. If I did not downshift, the stock car felt like it was straining, and bogging. Now the car cruises comfortably between 60-80. This is where our freeways usually flow. Feels much better, and more appropriate.

The car turns 1750 rpm at 80mph. Feels just right. Much better throttle response at 6th gear cruise.

The tires did not brake loose in first with a throttle roll on. (Had to do it once.)

Think this gear is "Goldilocks"...not to hot....not to cold.

I could not get on it yet, as during the break in period I mostly was cruising.

I'll run it through the gears tomorrow when I go to work. Will report back then. :usa:

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 3:55\'s on SRT...first imperssion

Paul,

Thanks for the G2 on the gear swap. I'm very interested in doing the same thing. Did you get your 3.55's from Parts Rack (w/speedo fix)? And how much was your labor cost (how many hours work did they charge for)? Thanks, and I look forward to your "full throttle" report. Wonder how much different the responsiveness will feel.

Bryon

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paul,

Thanks for the post and please keep us updated. I am doing the gear swap tomorrow and very curious to see the difference in the way the car drives. Got mine from PartsRack and Jon told me that there was no "special" speedo adjustment necessary. My ViperTech is installing so I am sure he knows what is required.

CStegall

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just make sure that you baby the gears and follow the break-in procedure well, even though it's tempting to want to get on it.

My first time swapping in my 3.55s on my R/T10 and the gears got scorched (overheated)and made a moaning noise.
I ended up replacing them when the gear noise stayed even after the 500 break-in miles and a second oil change.

It was a mistake that I didn't make twice. I fully followed the break in procedures on my second set of 3.55 gears, and everything has been fine for a year now.

I really love the feel of the 3.55 gears as they make both 5th and 6th actual, usable gears, and you always feel in the "meat" of the power curve in each gear.

-Dean.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Get an aluminum flywheel and roller rockers in addition to that 3.54 gear, and you'll grin like a ******* eating cactus!

Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Paul, I have had my 3:55's for about 2 months and went to one track event 4 weeks ago with another stock SRT and would pull away on the straights with ease. I got my gears from Parts Rack, you do not need a speedo kit as the SRT's computer and speed sensors will make the necessory correction to the speedo. ENJOY!

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Getting mine installed tomorrow,along with the k/n set-up.Looking forward to it.

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Get an aluminum flywheel and roller rockers in addition to that 3.54 gear, and you'll grin like a ******* eating cactus!
George I thought the SRT came with roller rockers?

OP
OP
P

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 3:55\'s on SRT...first impression

Srt comes with roller rockers, but not the good ones. The stock ones cut down on friction, but do not do as good a job stabilizing the valve train as the aftermarket ones.
Good=Stock gen 1/2 (stamped)
Better=Stock SRT (stamped with 1 roller)
Best = Aftermarket (machined with roller and bearings)

Snakester. You are correct. There is a danger of overheating the fluid when breaking in the gears. Drive 30 min in 5th and 6th, and let them cool 45 min. Repeat. Then enjoy your gears.

Pricing varies a little depending on gear quality. New cryogenically treated with micropolishing finish cost a little more. New synthetic fluid is a little pricier. Labor on SRT is more due to belly pan, and different suspension.

I know Jon B and DC Performance both work closely with Unitrax. I would certainly give them a call to determine current pricing.

From conversations with mechanics in the shop I would not be supprised to see prices rising slightly as the micropolished gears are more time consuming to set up, as the pattern is difficult to see when setting tolerances.

Expect +/- $1200 (Your mileage may vary)

RogerL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good estimate. I paid Jon B $650 for the gears/parts and had a local shop do the install for $450. Someone with Dana 44 experience should be able to do the set up, might be a off road/4wd shop. Works great, love the change.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just had my install today.Paid more than 400 though.Had the local viper tech do it and 800 was the number.

RogerL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I went to a Viper tech at the local Dodge dealer and they wanted $2200 for the change. Not a complicated prosess, would have done it myself if I had time. Any good gear guy should be able to do the work. The Dana 44 is a very common gear assembly. Us Viper guys probably don't want to know this, but it is widely used in 4wd/offroad vehicles.

OP
OP
P

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 3:55\'s on SRT...first impression

Be careful with your parts. The stock Jeep gears are different than what is being prepared for Vipers. The gears are cryogenically treated, micro polished, and a special pin has been developed (thanks to concerned vendors) as the stock pin has been breaking in some cases.) with spiral grooves machined into it. This groove allows lube to stay in contact.
These gears run smoother, quieter and are much stronger according to Unitrax.
Please deal with an experienced Viper aware supplier. Most advertisers on this forum are usually in the loop, and will direct you properly.
More impressions tonight.

OP
OP
P

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK... I'm back from test drive.

First gear will definitely overpower traction. The tires will break loose, however very controllable with just a little spin. In normal traffic the car is much easier to drive, with less clutch slippage necessary to take off from a light.

Second gear. MUCH STRONGER response. Car hits hard, and charges through the gear. Shift light comes on before you expect. MUCH better throttle response. Roll on's much stronger. No traction problems in straight line.

Third gear. Nice for cruising in traffic. Throttle roll on is HUGE. Car pulls much stronger, and revs much faster. Fantastic for those times you are on the freeway, and some corvette wants to play. Powerful-Powerful gear.

Fourth gear. Just right for low speed freeway running. Great throttle response and very flexible.

Fifth gear. Much better throttle response. Cruising below 60 mph this is the gear to use. Quiet, but still enough torque to squeeze into traffic holes. This is the gear to use when you are alert on the freeway, and need to make an occasional move.

Sixth gear. Wonderful cruising gear. Feels great running between 60-85. Still some throttle response. Much better than 3:07's. No need to down shift when encountering mild hills. Very quiet, yet more responsive.

This gear change really wakes up the SRT. Makes it feel more snappy.

I did not realize what I missed from my 96 GTS. Well this is it. I'm much more happy, and satisfied. The car has become the beast I wanted, with no downside.

Only possible downside is that I think I will wear out rear tires more quickly. The car is much more fun to drive.

RogerL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with getting the right parts. Unitrax is an excellant kit, call Jon B. Just be aware the rear end in the Viper has been around a long time and there are a lot of good gear mechanics that set these Dana 44s up everyday. I suspect the local Viper tech, at least in my area, might do one of these evry 6 months. It is simply a matter of where you want to spend your dollars.

OP
OP
P

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RogerL

I agree. I would take it to a drive line shop, with experienced employees before taking it to a ViperTech. Setting up the tolerances is an art. You should go to a place that works on these every day. Dealerships tend to be a little pricey for this type of work.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agreed on off-road shops...the Dana 44 is a common front axle setup on older Mopar 3/4 ton and 1 ton 4x4s (and some 1/2 ton), as well as very common as rear axles in Jeeps from 1960s to 1980s (and maybe later). Lots of light military truck use, too.

Off road shops do a LOT of ring & pinion swaps, which is necessary when you stick 39 inch tires on your old W250...

Regarding roller rockers...yeah...the aftermarket ones.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paul -- Another downside is probably a little less gas mileage, but with a Viper we've all forgotten about that factor!

RogerL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bottom line is how ever you get it done, it is well worth the effrt and expense. Makes a great car that much better. Did notice a little difference in gas milage (might be because I was enjoying the acceleration) but who gives a damn. If mileage is a concern, we should not be Viper owners.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Paul;

Nice report!

I feel I must chime in with a comment based on my own experience in my GenII RT/10's. That Viper (the 98' especially) really felt like it needed the change to 3.45 Dana's. I liked it in the 98' just as you have described.

Maybe I have an unusually strong SRT with 5500 miles on it. My tires are about half worn in the rear. I honestly have trouble keeping the rears from breaking loose in BOTH 1st and 2nd gear; and I mean I can keep em' slipping until about 5500rpm! Perhaps the temps, (50's-mid 60's) and the residual winter road sand is causing alot of this spinning, but my SRT doesn't feel like it would benefit from them. Iowa is pretty darn flat geographically when cruising the highways. In your part of the country, the gear change you did probably is quite usable if you cruise 65mph and encounter a lot of hills.

You will notice that your rear tires will start mysteriously dissapearing at a much faster rate (it's mucho fun!) because of the extra spin that you may not even know is happening.

Enjoy the set-up, and if you drag race a stock SRT 0-60 please let us know how you did!

Jim

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Excellent report, Paul! :2tu: Agree on all counts. Best mod I've made to date by far!

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just finished my 2nd drive with the 355's.What a great difference.You just feel like the power is more available.Cant wait till my break-in is over. Thanks for the speedy delivery Jon/parts rack

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I've always stated(and written)that "REAR GEARS ARE THE #1 Bang-4-Buck Upgrade"

Put in 3:55s and the SOTP feel is like +80 HP in an SRT-10! You can run to 130 mph with guys who spent $8000 - $10000 in HP mods who have 3.07. They usually won't also choose a 3:55 on top of those mods, but some do, and MOVE OVER!

Please note that PartsRack has worked w/ Unitrax to ensure that all SRT-10s receive a hardened, MUCH IMPROVED stronger crosspin. OE '03 were terrible, '04 simply heat-treated. (our pin cost is almost $40 alone) Not all gears are created equal! We cryo harden the hardest gears available, and then polish them for less friction, less heat, less whine. Our inaugural special is Under $600 on the SRT-10 kit, including a rebuild service kit for internals, and half-shaft-drive shaft externals! All you need is oil, and we can also prove that.

[ Whoever above posted $650 for SRT-10 please call for an immediate $50 refund!
Unless oil and shipping = $650? GTS/RT-10 needs a speedo kit so maybe he has Gen 1/2 at $650.]

We also have available stronger 7/16 carrier bolts that can even be safety-wired for you guys planning to drag race and / or boost HP significantly. Small upcharge for these.... THANKS for the biz.

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

cstegall - Did you have the gears changed like you planned? If so, how do you like them? Who installed them and how much did they charge? Where did you get them?

OP
OP
P

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just took a friend for a ride. He had been before with stock gears. His discription of the car was "FRANTIC". Asked me if I had installed nitrous.
This is the way you would expect a Viper to run...FRANTIC!

When I caught 2nd gear it just exploded down the street. Tires could barely contain the torque. The car is now a monster.

Can you tell I really like the 3:55!

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SteveT...

Howdy bro' :cool: Gears were done today(thursday)and I will pickup the car tomorrow. Will let you know how it feels. Had ViperTech do the work(not at the dealership)...so don't know the cost yet. Got the gear package from JonB and he delivered them fast and they look great. You can tell that they have put a lot of work into making these gears. Thanks Jon...you done good.
More later.

Clark

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't forget to report track times. The gen 1/2 difference 3.07 vs 3.55, still seems like a mystery in the 1/4.