3 Chrome and 1 Aluminum

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what my wheels look like. Three of them shine like chrome when they are clean, but the 4th one looks like an old neglected polished aluminum wheel. They are the stock wheels on an '04.

Do you have any idea what might be going on with that one ugly wheel, and how I can fix it?

thanks,
~Jay

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya someone probably put a cleaner on the wheel hot and found out it wasnt a good idea. thats ***** if that happened,complete party foul

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to be real careful about what you use on wheels. There are some over the counter cleaners out there that will strip the coating off your wheels if used long enough. I know that from experience.

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try to post a picture later tonight.

So assuming the the clear coat was stripped off, what are my options?

thanks,
~Jay

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks,
~Jay

Have you tried an aluminum polish such as Simichrome on that one wheel? If the clear coat is gone, it should polish up very nicely. Simichrome is not a chrome polish, so it will not damage a polished aluminum surface. I've used it on many a polished aluminum surface (on the Viper and on my old Norton 850, Triumph TR6R, and Ducati Darmah...made the aluminum look incredible) and it has always left a fabulous finish.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks,
~Jay

If clear is gone, it'll polish up shiny as ever. If "foggy", then clear coat is probably ruined. You can try to polish it up, or strip it and polish or strip/polish/re-clear.

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to take some pictures so you can see what's really going on, but I definitely want to restore the clear coat. I had Aluminum TTII wheels on my '68 Corvette for 10 years and I hated trying to keep them looking good. The three good wheels on the Viper take a few minutes to clean. Polishing dull aluminum would be at least a half hour.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can clean your wheels with soap and water. If you need something a little stronger but SAFE for all wheel finishes, Adam's has a Green Wheel Cleaner that won't stain or damage your wheels. There's a gang of products out there that are stronger, but I would never call them safe. As for a sealant, I would use the same thing that I use own paint. Adam's Machine Super Sealant.

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called my local Tire shop and they can send it out to be done for under $200. I know most of my friends would think I'm crazy to spend that kind of money just because one wheel doesn't look quite as good as the rest, but it was driving me crazy. $200 is a small price to pay to maintain my sanity :)

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And one question while we're on the subject.... Is Adam's all purpose spray too strong for clear coated wheels? Typically I hose the wheel down, then spray the all purpose cleaner, so it's slightly diluted.

~Jay

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You never posted a pic? You may be able to wet-sand it and polish it out. Or just polish it out? $200 to strip/polish/re-clear ain't too bad (if done right w/warranty). Depending on size of wheel, damage, etc, I usually charge between $150-$250 for aforementioned repair. Polished wheels are a b!itch to clear. Really, really good clear coat runs about $250/QUART!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And one question while we're on the subject.... Is Adam's all purpose spray too strong for clear coated wheels? Typically I hose the wheel down, then spray the all purpose cleaner, so it's slightly diluted.

~Jay

Not at all. Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner is even safer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456