3" inside diamter pipe for cats and sill mufflers ???

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3\" inside diamter pipe for cats and sill mufflers ???

since im doing headers, im replacing the roe ovals now and i might as well do the mufflers in the sills while im at it...

the mufflers from ROE are 3" in and out and the cats are the same. but that measures 3" inside diamter.

i wanna seperate the two parts by about 4-5 inches with a pipe. what size pipe do i get ? its gotta slide over the 3 1/16" outside diameter of the cats and mufflers.

ultimately id like to buy a pipe thats tapered from 3 1/16" ID to 2 15/16" OD

anyone know where to go or look ???

i hope this makes some sense..lol

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 3\" inside diamter pipe for cats and sill mufflers ???

since im doing headers, im replacing the roe ovals now and i might as well do the mufflers in the sills while im at it...

the mufflers from ROE are 3" in and out and the cats are the same. but that measures 3" inside diamter.

i wanna seperate the two parts by about 4-5 inches with a pipe. what size pipe do i get ? its gotta slide over the 3 1/16" outside diameter of the cats and mufflers.

ultimately id like to buy a pipe thats tapered from 3 1/16" ID to 2 15/16" OD

Plum...are you saying that the OD of your muffler pipe is 3" and the OD of your cat pipe is 3" and you want to connect these with a 4-5 inch piece of pipe? If this is the case, I would weld in that 4-5" piece of pipe between the cat and muffler. I did this to my exhaust I just ripped out using a Connector Pipe from Summit Racing. By the way, which headers did you go with?

- Tony

G

grcforce327

Just take all three pieces(all 3in dia) to a muffler shop.Have them expand one end of pipe to slide over cat,then have them expand the front end of the muffler to slide over the pipe.Clamp or weld and you're done! :2tu:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A local muffler shop will swedge/expand some 3"OD pipe for you for little or nothing. Local auto parts should have short sections available if you don't have any at home.

Why not have your short pipe expanded to 3 1/16 ID* to slip over both ends ?

*Normally a 3"ID pipe would be 3 1/8" OD, be sure you're measuring accurately.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ok i might be off on the OD..it might be 3 1/8" im doing this from memroy today...lol

all the pipes are 3" ID.

i guess i could bring it to a muffler shop and have them expand the end of the cat so it slips over the muffler so it can be welded. but will the muffler being so close to the cat be a problem with anything like heat or sound from it ?

i was gonna seperate them by a few inches but for no real reason. i guess if you think the muffler can be welded right to the cat, id weld it.

aperugini, i bought a set of bellangers off of 2manytoys... :)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I went with Belanger's too! Just installed them today. I ended up going with the full Belanger system. Getting ready to do the catback tomorrow. I think I'm a SC behind you in terms of toys. :D

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lol...ya got time to catch up... :)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Plum,
did you leave in the "pickle" or are you taking it out? Just curious.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

when i got it from brian, it had it in it. i gotta think if it came out of the worlds fastest paxton car, its gotta be good in my bucket.

i know its been beaten to death, but what the heck.

i actually still have time to take it out as the cats are not on the car yet though.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, you have the opportunity to put the debate to rest. You can get it all installed and tuned with the pickle, then take them out and see if there is any gain. Assuming you want to take the time and effort :2tu:

I would be willing to bet you would gain 30 HP with them out over leaving them in. It just would be a bit of a pain.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im not really looking forward to the extra work of doing that so im leaning towards just takin them out now and being done with it. especially if people think its that kinda difference in hp.

im gonna start another thread on it now

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Call Belanger and ask them if there was any research put into the pickle, or was it just space filler/bling to put them above the header manufacturer crowd.

Like I've posted previously, Byron Hines started adding some sort of a bullet shaped thing to his Pro Stock bike header(s) some years ago. The article mentioned how he studied ballistics etc in a never ending effort for an edge.

So there could be REAL SCIENCE behind the pickle.

Not to be confused with a pickle park...

94yellow

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just did the 3" Roe Cats and mufflers on my 94. Why take the pipe to a muffler shop, just stop at Auto zone and rent their exhaust pipe expander. It cost me $25.00 , that I got back when I returned the tool. You can keep it as long as you want, so you do not have to hurry doing the job. It worked out find.