315 FRONT Tires on my Stock 10 inch ACR Rims !!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a multitude of problems, one of them is that I love to plus/up size my tires whenever possible. (For more contact patch)

Well for a while I have heard that you couldnt/shouldnt put anthing more then 285 on your fronts. Well, I did 295 the last go round, then also tried 315 (michelling pilot sports), and now last night pulled off 315 Michellin Pilot Sport Cups on my STOCK (except for being chromed) FRONT ACR Rims.

Here are the photos. I didnt rub with my 315 Sports, so I dont expect my 315 cups to rub either (lock to lock).

Oh well, thought I would share. We already all knew 345's in the rear worked, so thats not news that I installed those too... (well except to John Freeman, as it should scare him, I'm coming for his title !!)

Jon

435sm_DSC00744.jpg

435sm_DSC00745.jpg

435sm_DSC00746.jpg

435sm_DSC00747.jpg

435sm_DSC00748.jpg

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS. While I do have my own wheel and tire machines (noted in the last picture), to force these monsters on my 10 inch rim required a Hydraulic Roller System to aid Mounting. (Which I dont own, so I took them to a tire shop where I know the technicians)

Putting 345's on 13 inch rears was no problem, and well within my skill level.

Jon

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*** your own tire machines are you crazy. Well if ever feel really stupid (lose your money and feel like getting out of bed earlier) I am in the market for another tire guy. PS referred to as buy our employees as a tire techician. (they feel it pays more this way)

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daddy's comin for ya Gazer !! Rumor has it, the 708 Cam, Forged pistons, Port And Polished Stage 3 (Jeff Mories Cyclinder heads) heads, Super Charged Monster is coming home on Tuesday. Wanna meet (thats "meet", NOT "MEAT" (bug eater is actually ***, so I had to qualify) up somewhere, so I can stomp yer *** on the street, before I make short work of you on the track ??

-Your Daddy.

PS. Mike, if I ever decide to move to Canada, blow all my dough, and lose 1/2 my intelligence from hanging out with BugEater, I will take you up on your offer. Sounds like the perfect contigency plan.

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your car lowered from the stock height setting? I am interested in putting 315's on my car, but am afraid it will break the edge of the hood since my car is lowered.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody seen half of my intelligence laying around?

John,
I will lay money that you mow half the fullcourse lawn with that monster. If I were you I would find a way to stick 345's on the front as well!

PS - I have a couple tricks up my sleeve too....can you say 3,100 pound GTS?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, i know Johnny boy, you got a real Deal T1

So when I beat you with a STREET car, its gonna be that much better !! BTW update your thumbnail/image, you dont own that POS anymore, you got rid of it ! (Lucky you, poor George).

We should have some fun, and yes, I know the excessive power is going to be a handfull. But I am going to keep it tame by keeping boost low. Should be fun !!

I wont Mow, trust me, I have far too much respect for the power. I have yet to let someone push me past my abilities, so even you buddy, aint gonna get me to push the car beyond MY abilities.

NDW, yes, my viper is lowered, very much so, as I have an ACR, and I lowered it enough so that I could get over my drive way taper, and thats about it !! lol, its lowered, and no rubbing !!

Jon

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, how do you like the Sport Cups? I've talked to a bunch of Porsche guys and they swear by them, say traction is awsome on the street/track. But on a few threads here, it's like nobody likes them saying traction ***** blah blah??!? I wouldn't have to worry about heating the tires up or anything thanks to hot South Florida weather.

Pretty much anybody I talk to from Beemers to P-cars loves them, except for the Viper folk :confused: , I'm really interested in the Sport Cups.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the problem is, most of the guys that move on to Sport Cups (such as my self) have excessive power, either tons of motor, or Super Charged, and they expect the cups to resolve all their traction problems. But they wont. Porsche guys and BMW guys dont have the same amount of TQ we are fighting with these big motors, and big TQ numbers.

My take on the cups, is they dont last as long (due to both the softer compound, and the significantly LESS tread depth they come with), but they do a better job of getting more usable power out of your excess power viper.

BFG's are even better for grip, but not so great for handling. So I have both, and I pick my "attack" based on what I plan to do on that drive.

Jon

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So with the 315's won't the tire wear in the middle faster since the side walls are pinched in? What pressures do you run?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not if you have the "track/street" alignment my car has. I always wear out the inside to middle, leaving about 2 inches on the outside of the tire not as worn, but very close. I drive my car very agressively on the street. I can DEFINETLY tell a difference between 295 and 315, but only when I am pushing the car. (hot tire to hot tire).

Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, sure I guess that means my contact patch will only wear to the 285 section too, under your "philosophy"

I guess if I cared about your opinion I would have sought it before purchasing, instead I went with peoples opinions I actually value.

Take Care.

Jon

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you ever get that POS rust bucket of yours back? Sorry I had business to take car of last week when talking to you but I will call you back.
Chad

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont bother, I own your ***.

Yeah, the old bucket is back ...

Funny thing... she spun the dyno and pulled some very impressive numbers.

But we wont talk about that... since its goign to be a little suprise on your ***, next time we go to v-10 nats !!

Jon