355 Gears & Nitrous

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
355 Gears installed and broke in. Went for a ride yesterday,It was unbelievable, car squirrels in the first three gears, really hard to keep in a straight line, cold tires and pavement, sucking in 40 deg.air in the intake had a lot to do with this. My next mod was going to be nitrous and my question is for those who are running nitrous an 355 373 gears, in the summer heat, what system are you using and the hp increase, and can you get the car to run in a straight line. My car is a 01 R/T Tubes and K/N filters, Hi flow cats 3 in Corsa exhauest 355 gears.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,

I have a 1998 GTS with basically the same mods as you now have, but with 3.73 gears. Cold road/tires are a killer - traction, forget about it...

On the other hand, you give me a 70+ degree day, tires that have been warmed up just driving normally for a few miles, hooking up is not a problem.... Just ease the clutch out in first gear.

Later

P.S. - Now if you add Nitrous to the equation, with street tires + 3.55 gears, I think traction may be a problem even in 100 degree weather.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 3.55 gears with a Nx kit from Albert Chlouber whom I highly reccomend both brand of kit (many happy viper owners I've heard with NX) and vendor. 150 shot and kuhmos on the street with 4000 rpm launches no problem. As soon as clutch is out I nail it and the nitrous hits , I have traction al the way up. Those 400 -450 hp sc mustangs on nittos don't stand a chance as many will spin some even with the nittos as i jump off the line.
Just make sure the kuhmos are warm ie driven on for a few mile to warm them up

Tommy K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Varanus,
When you say 4K launch, was that in 1st? And if so, was your progressive controller engaged?(your sig) Wow, are those the Kumho V700's?? Thanks

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4500 rpm in first gear, no progressive controller at that time (turned to 100 percent power at "0" sec). The nitrous (150hp nx kit (rated at rwhp whereas NOS rates at motor) is not activated till the clutch is out and I'm rolling. I basically release the clutch just a hair bit slower than my fastest release (not a sidestep), the car bogs and chirps a little then I basically floor it and the nitrous hits when i go w/o throttle at the end of first.
Not sticking well in the winter weather, but in the summer when warmed up, great traction. have taken a few LS1 and viper guys-all were shocked at the traction I had at launch
Got my Kuhmos from Jon B

Good luck

OP
OP
W

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Varanus, I see that you are running the ROE blower plus the 150 shot of nitrous, which came first and when was the Vec1, installed for the nitrous or for the blower. Is the Vec1, necessary for timing retard when using nitrous.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P.S. - Now if you add Nitrous to the equation, with street tires + 3.55 gears, I think traction may be a problem even in 100 degree weather.

What I meant to say was OEM street tires - Pilots. I would love to try those Kuhmo's....

Later

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weed53:
Varanus, I see that you are running the ROE blower plus the 150 shot of nitrous, which came first and when was the Vec1, installed for the nitrous or for the blower. Is the Vec1, necessary for timing retard when using nitrous.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The nitrous is not hooked up since I put the blower on. When tuning is done I will plan on running a 50 to 75 shot on nitrous with the blower. With the blower and a 150 shot I am sure the motor would not hold. but a small shot should work well. The 03 cobra guys are running a small shot like this and picking up 100 lbs of torques off of the small shot.
I have seen lightning owners run big shots with their blowers, but the bottom ends were built up.
If you run nitrous the vec 1 may be helpful if you need to pull timing. The vipers vary a lot and some are affected more than others. I have a buddy running a 200 shot with no timing pull and so far he is ok. BTW he just ordered the kuhmos for his viper.
NX does not specify timing retard on their kits, but I would do a dyno run to check a/f and also watch the spark plugs.
With the sc and nitrous put together, I think timing will be set for the sc and the small shot of nitrous should be okay. Some of the 03 cobra guys are spraying a 50-75 dry shot and okay with a/f and timing.

OP
OP
W

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Varanus, thanks for all the info on the nitrous, I am going to wait till summer to see how the car responds to the heat, then ill make my decision to use the nitrous are the Roe blower, I understand Roe is going to have a Vec2 soon for the unites that are having the detonation problems. May I ask, why did you change from nitrous to the blower. Thank's again.--

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you get addicted to the power of the nitrous, but the bottle only lasts so long. With a sc you get it all the time, but investment cost is much higher to start. However, unless you are spending 15 to 25 grand or more, the sc will not make the power the nitrous will. HP will be close or maybe a little less, but torque is much less. However the small nitrous shot in the blower should bring torque back to the 700 range.
Plus you wanna see people's jaws drop, pop the hood and when they see nitrous and a blower, it's
hail[1].gif
hail[1].gif
hail[1].gif
hail[1].gif
hail[1].gif

OP
OP
W

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, I do understand about being addicted to the power, and I promised my self when I bought the Viper it would stay stock, and here I go again with the mods. I owned a supercharged BMW M car before I bought the viper and only keep it for a year, lost my a## on that car over 12 grand down the tubes so that is why I am going with the nitrous for awhile to see if I am going to keep the Viper. And yes the ROE blower set up is really sharp, and no doubt down the road there will be a blower on my car for the reason the Gen 1&2 cars cannot be beat for the radical design and the big torque machine that it is, the more I drive this car the better I like it.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With NOS - the 3.55's may be to much for the strip especially if you have a window switch (and you should). If you run to potential you will be bouncing off of the window switch or rev limiter. Running on NOS you will be shifting at 4600, with the 3.55's the shifts are going to be backing up on you. How about 3.33's for the NOS.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.55 gears are my next upgrade (hopefully a couple weeks away).

I've also got a NX setup in my garage from my last car, but I'm still looking into some kind of progressive controller (and warmer weather) before I install it. Also I will likely run a bit less N20 than most people (maybe 120 shot) just to get a little more kick when needed.

Thanks all for the info on you setups. It's great reading.

-Dean.

OP
OP
W

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack B, Thanks for your in put on the 355 and nitrous. Do you think a small shot of nitrous would work and be controllable in hot weather, if so what would you recommend. If you read the post on gear wine I think you will understand why I really don't want to pull the punken again

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Varanus,
I just finished a '01 SS with a custom ground cam, ported heads, a V-9 vortech (3.125 pulley) 6 psi on this combination...anyway, I added a 50 wet shot at the throttle body and a 75 shot on the aftercooler with the new NX spray bar. You can feel the seat of the pants difference !!! I don't have any dyno #s yet, but I will send them to you to show you the difference with and without the spray when we make the pulls later this week. It definitely cools the the charge of the air going into the motor. Hopefully with the right tuning and a smaller pulley, I hope to see 550 + at the rear wheels. Just watch you A/F and timing issues at WOT...watch out 9's... here you come !!!
Later,
Joe

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Joe. I have heard great stuff about blowers and nitrous. I have seen the NX spray bars. I wonder how efficient they are for cooling. It would be interesting to see intake temp differences. That said, how much nitrous does the 75 shot spray on the NX bar use. Are you using dual tanks?

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Varanus,
Right now there is only 1 10 lbs. bottle in the car...this will change in the near future I'm sure. I have custom painted everything on the car... the car has a single black stripe down the center of the hood, decklid, strut tower brace, rear facia and roll cage. The nitrous bottle has a rip away paint scheme with white, red, and black... I will have to do the same if another bottle is added. I have seen a double bottle brace made of billet aluminum that is very cool... the brace, heater, remote opener, gauge, line and fittings add up very fast and this guy has over $60,000 in this car already. Anyway, it is 30 degrees here in St.Louis and the tracks are all closed...it seems to snow every other week and the roads are very cold... I would rather not wreck this guys car, if you know what I mean. My guess is that with the set up now, with bottle pressure around 1100 psi, we should get 5 or 6 solid runs at the track on 1 10 lbs bottle... we will see.
We are messing with LS1 edit trying to get the programing correct right now. Once we get everything close to correct, I will set a co-pilot template up and see the diffrences that the nos makes on the intake temps.
I have the 50 shot on a wot switch and a window switch from 3000 to 6600 rpm and the 75 shot on wot only with a arming switch. We were worried about hot summer days over 90 degrees on the charger not being as efficient...hopefully the nos will help in that situation.
Later,
Joe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4